Breastfeeding Moms

rHOPEb
1st bottle
by rHOPEb
October 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I know I was advised not to worry about giving our son a bottle since he won't be getting one until December when we have a function to go to.  BUT....hubby insisted to just 'try' it.  Well, our lil chunker sucked that thing dry!!!!!!!!!  hahahahaha!  He's 2.5mos and drank 5oz of BM.  I'm so proud!  

Replies

• gdiamante
    October 8, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Not to throw cold water... but five ounces is really a lot. That's five hours worth of feeding.

Botle feeding methodology for a breastfed baby: One ounce, burp. One ounce, burp. Last ounce, burp. Yep, three ounces. The bottle should be "less." The idea is to make it a definite second choice for baby so you don't have probelms with him wanting that over the breast.

Bottle = a slice of toast you wolf down on the way out the door because you're late for work.

Breast = the big buffet lunch your boss took you to.

:-)

• rHOPEb
    by rHOPEb
    October 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM
    Love the analogy! He eats every 2-3 hrs still. Oh, he wont get bottle anyway. Thanks for letting me know because I thought it was a lot too. Hubby did burp him after each ounce or so. And I pumped 6oz while he had bottle.

Quoting gdiamante:

Not to throw cold water... but five ounces is really a lot. That's five hours worth of feeding.

Botle feeding methodology for a breastfed baby: One ounce, burp. One ounce, burp. Last ounce, burp. Yep, three ounces. The bottle should be "less." The idea is to make it a definite second choice for baby so you don't have probelms with him wanting that over the breast.

Bottle = a slice of toast you wolf down on the way out the door because you're late for work.

• gdiamante
    October 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Great! 

• rHOPEb
    by rHOPEb
    October 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    Oh......maybe I should add.....he is around 16lbs already. He was 9lb 9oz at birth :) Hes my lil chinked!

Quoting rHOPEb:

Love the analogy! He eats every 2-3 hrs still. Oh, he wont get bottle anyway. Thanks for letting me know because I thought it was a lot too. Hubby did burp him after each ounce or so. And I pumped 6oz while he had bottle.

Quoting gdiamante:

• justone_jen
    Jen
    October 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    The amount they should get from the bottle never changes, not with age or size. :)
  • Baby_Avas_Momma
    October 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    This :)
    1-1.25oz per hr in bottles no larger than 3oz. That's a forever number.
    Glad he took to it well! :)

Quoting justone_jen:

The amount they should get from the bottle never changes, not with age or size. :)
  • RadnRem
    by RadnRem
    October 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Yup, even chunkers shouldn't get more than 3 oz every 2-3 hrs!
    My 5 month old is a little man child and while I'm at work only two of his bottles are 3 oz, the rest are less.
    For an idea of how big my 5 month old is.....this morning when I was getting him dressed, I had to tell my husband "We are on the verge of having to switch him to 18 month pants" o_0

But! I am glad he took to the bottle just fine. I know that will take some stress off your back when the time comes to really need it!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

This :)

1-1.25oz per hr in bottles no larger than 3oz. That's a forever number.

Glad he took to it well! :)

Quoting justone_jen:

Breastfeeding Moms