Breastfeeding Moms

kylersmommy
sleep advice, maybe??
October 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM
My newest ds will be 2wks old Tuesday. I am just.nursing him and its going good! During the day I have to wake him to eat(I shoot for every 3hrs). The night time a different story. From about 12:30 to about 4 he thinks its time to be up. He will eat around 12:30 and then probably 3:30 or so. But he will only sleep for 20min at a time if he does sleep in those hours. I know he will be get better with time(this is my 3rd baby, 1st time bfing.) But I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help it out quicker? I'm just tired. :(

Replies

• SewingMamaLele
    October 7, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    Wake him more during the day, cosleep so that he doesn't really fully wake up overnight.
  • kylersmommy
    October 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    He's soo hard to wake up sometimes! Seriously! I've been doing better the past few days at getting him awake at almost 3hr marks, but other times he just isnt having it!
    I have to.change his diaper so that normally gets him awake awake in the night.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Wake him more during the day, cosleep so that he doesn't really fully wake up overnight.

• anamc414
    October 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    Feed him every two hours during the day. It is definately harder to keep him up but it pays off when he sleeps a lil longer at night bc he is getting most of calorie intake during the day. Also try not waking him up at night. I bedshared for tge first two months it helped both of us get enough sleep at night.
  • nellyb118
    October 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    Sounds like he has his days and nights mixed up. You want to get him sleeping those longer stretches at night so try keeping him up more during the day and make night time feeds boring...low lights,little talking.
  • MommyO2-6631
    October 7, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    If a wet diaper isn't bothering him and it isn't full then no need to change it. Just put a barrier cream on well before bed and then maybe one change thru the night depending on how much he pees. Dirties must be changed promptly though. To get him awake during the day rub his feet, strip him to a diaper, tickle his back or rub his head. Then after you get him mad at you i'm sure he'll want the boob lol. And make night time boring. No talking. No bright lights. Daytime is for chit chat and play time!

Quoting kylersmommy:

He's soo hard to wake up sometimes! Seriously! I've been doing better the past few days at getting him awake at almost 3hr marks, but other times he just isnt having it!

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

• maggiemom2000
    October 7, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Try for more frequent feedings during the day, like every 2 hrs. Do not swaddle baby during the day. Spend as much time as you can "skin to skin" you w/o a shirt, baby in only a diaper. Let him sleep on your chest. Any time he starts to stir/move his head, try to help him find the breast. No need to fully wake him, he may latch on with is eyes still closed.

• Hyman
    by Hyman
    October 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM
    I never woke up my son to eat. I'd just brush his cheek with my nipple and he's latch on but stay asleep nursing. Lol.

I read that once you start waking them, it will become a pattern and interrupt their sleep.

So I was so crazy about anyone doing anything to wake up my son :D even my husband.

So far he's slept all night long from the time he's been 3 months old and he's 14 mo old now. He nurses during the night but we both stay asleep.
  • devoesgirl
    October 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    No need to change the diaper if its only pee

Quoting kylersmommy:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Breastfeeding Moms