Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
lazycervix
Why...
October 7, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Why in the world do people think they should comment on your personal choices? My daughter will be 1 Nov 2nd yippie she has never had a drop of formula ever and has only had maybe a total of 5 bottles her entire first year, but now everyone thinks I need to stop because she is turning one. I am so frustrated with all the disgust I hear in peoples voices and the juding I get when I say I will let her decide when she is done. 

Sorry about the rant its just so frustrating. 

Replies

• ruthie11617
    October 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Doesn't matter what your choice is as far as nursing goes...seems everyone has an opinion. My mother has mentioned a bunch of times that she stopped nursing me when I bit her and she stopped with other siblings when they got "too distracted to nurse". We just reached 9 months this week and I plan on going at least a year, distracted nursing and occasional biting and all. I just smile and continue what I'm doing when I hear the comments.

• whitneymf
    October 7, 2012 at 12:24 AM

wow i am proud of you. people dont know what the best for your baby is except you. ive always said since i was younger that my child will never taste formula and i will continue to pump for a little while after my baby stops nursing just to put in a sippy cup or whatever. no mater how old he will be. 

• catholicmamamia
    October 7, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Ignore (or better yet avoid altogether) mean, judgemental people who push their views on others and are often quite bully-ish about it.. you are doing the best for your baby! 

• aehanrahan
    October 7, 2012 at 2:58 AM
    Yes, this!

Quoting catholicmamamia:

Ignore (or better yet avoid altogether) mean, judgemental people who push their views on others and are often quite bully-ish about it.. you are doing the best for your baby! 

• aehanrahan
    October 7, 2012 at 3:01 AM
    Just for information... The natural age of weaning is after 2 1/2 up to 6 or 7 years old and most moms can't pump much after a year, much less years later. I'm nearing 5 years and can no longer hand express a few drops for cuts, scrapes, or the acne on my face.

Quoting whitneymf:

wow i am proud of you. people dont know what the best for your baby is except you. ive always said since i was younger that my child will never taste formula and i will continue to pump for a little while after my baby stops nursing just to put in a sippy cup or whatever. no mater how old he will be. 

• whitneymf
    October 7, 2012 at 3:55 AM
    Really/: well I'm going to as long as I can!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Just for information... The natural age of weaning is after 2 1/2 up to 6 or 7 years old and most moms can't pump much after a year, much less years later. I'm nearing 5 years and can no longer hand express a few drops for cuts, scrapes, or the acne on my face.

Quoting whitneymf:

• lazycervix
    October 7, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Thanks Ladies I know I am making the best decision I can for my family and my little girl. I want her to have the best possible start I can give her, but I just get upset sometimes when people judge me for doing it.

• Gruntlings
    October 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Because people like to judge others. It satisfies the hurt that they feel when they are judged themselves.

It's like the kid who gets hit by a bully and who then turns around and takes it out on his little brother.

Redirect the conversation into something positive that they like to talk about. Ask them where they get their hair done. Ask them about their shoes. Ask them for advice about something you don't actually care about so that their advice won't sting as much.

• Baby_Avas_Momma
    October 7, 2012 at 11:28 AM
    Been there mama! When my dd turned a year old it was the talk of the family when they found out I was letting her self wean and refusing to give her cows milk! *gasp!!* lol. They called me "one of THOSE moms" and would crack jokes saying she was going to be 6 and still nursing - my reply was "well maybe she will! hehe", which put their undies in a bunch even more haha! What ultimately made me feel 100% secure in my decision was all the proven facts and studies that support full term nursing and child lead weaning. People can have opinions all they want, but their negative opinions will never be more than just plain ignorant. Keep up the great work mama! :)
  • tabi_cat1023
    October 7, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Because people think they should have opinions on everyone personal choices..thank them for their opinion and say because you have done your research you plan to nurse longer because its healthier

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts