Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
mamoore83
Supply/pumping question
October 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM
I know that pumping output has no real bearing on how much baby is actually getting. I used to be able to pump more than I can now and the only reason why I need to increase my pump output is because I'm at the end of my frozen milk and still am not pumping enough for her for the day, and I want her to get exclusive breast milk. I started drinking mothers tea and trying to sneak in more pumping at work, I haven't been able to start pumping at home too, it's hard because she's always nursing and by the time I'm refilled enough to pump she's ready to eat again. Idk what to do is that all I can do? Any tips would be appreciated.

Replies

• gdiamante
    October 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

How much is she getting during the day? Remember, 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation. 

What pump, used when? How many sessions per day? Need more info from you to be helpful.

• gdiamante
    October 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

By the way... do NOT wait to "refill." Pump while nursing. Milk is made WHILE nursing and pumping... you don't fill. If you wait that reduces supply.

• tabi_cat1023
    October 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Same questions and comments as G...

• mamoore83
    October 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I know she is getting way to much during the day.  At day care it seems like she is getting 4 oz every 3 hours, she was getting it every 2 hours but I asked them to space the time out.  I told my husband about the eating to much but he said she is hungry after eating the small bottles.  I'm using the medela pump in style and double pumping once with that during my 8 hour shift and twice during my 12 hour shift.  I have a hand pump that I use when ever i can some time i can use it for like 5 min on each brease once or twice more or 10 min per breast once more.  Doing that has helped me increase the amount of milk that I can store.  I have started hand pumping while nursing some times when it is near me. 

• maggiemom2000
    October 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM
    That is great to sneak in a few minutes of pumping here and there with the hand pump!

Check out this article, there are tips for working with caregivers to give less milk so that baby will take more milk directly from you while you are home.

There is also a section on pumping more with a big variety of tips.

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/returning-to-work-breastfeeding-mothers.html
  • gdiamante
    October 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Quoting mamoore83:

I know she is getting way to much during the day.  At day care it seems like she is getting 4 oz every 3 hours, she was getting it every 2 hours but I asked them to space the time out. 

Too much for an eight hour day. Force the issue. Two ounce bottles every two hours, NOTHING for 90 minutes before you get there. Force it... they comply or you find another daycare.

I told my husband about the eating to much but he said she is hungry after eating the small bottles.

No, she's wanting other comfort.He needs to find other ways to calm her besides stuffing her.

I'm using the medela pump in style

Good.

and double pumping once with that during my 8 hour shift

Get another session in. That's really nowhere near enough, and if there are more than 50 employees on payroll they must accomodate you. They don't have to PAY you for the break but they have to let you take the time. Ideally one session for every three hours apart.

and twice during my 12 hour shift. 

And one more session there. You need a grand total of 15 minutes...most of that actually pumping. Don't wash a thing at work.. you can rinse but DO NOT wash. 

I have a hand pump that I use when ever i can some time i can use it for like 5 min on each brease once or twice more or 10 min per breast once more.  Doing that has helped me increase the amount of milk that I can store.  I have started hand pumping while nursing some times when it is near me. 

OK, that's good. But really, you need to get more sessions in, and they need to feed less while you're away. 8-10 ounces for your eight hour shift. 12-15 ounces for your 12 hour shift. NO MORE.

• fortressmom
    October 6, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Only send 3 oz bottles to daycare. That is the most she should be getting. Make sure they know how to correctly bottle feed the breast fed baby. Slowest flow nipple you can find, feed an ounce, burp, change arms, repeat. She should also be fed in an upright postion, not cradled to make sure the flow is super slow.

• mamoore83
    October 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I am sorry to admit but I am a push over, it's hard for me stand up for myself espically when it's something that's going against the grain. I am the only one in my and my husband's family that breast feeds (mothers and grandmothers included) and the only one at day care so every time i say something they look at me like I have 3 heads, but I am determined to at least make it to the 1 year mark I'd even like to go further. I have given a can of dry formula to the day care and they mix up the bottles as needed I will take that away and only send the breast milk so they have no other option, I saw that last time she was there they mixed the bm and formula together I have no idea why because I sent enough milk with her to even feed her on their schedule. If I could get them to feed her the right amount I have no problems pumping that much. Having you guys here to ask questions and see the advice has really helped me even keep on feeding her this long since I have no support IRL thanks :-) 

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mamoore83:

I know she is getting way to much during the day.  At day care it seems like she is getting 4 oz every 3 hours, she was getting it every 2 hours but I asked them to space the time out. 

Too much for an eight hour day. Force the issue. Two ounce bottles every two hours, NOTHING for 90 minutes before you get there. Force it... they comply or you find another daycare.

I told my husband about the eating to much but he said she is hungry after eating the small bottles.

No, she's wanting other comfort.He needs to find other ways to calm her besides stuffing her.

Good.

Get another session in. That's really nowhere near enough, and if there are more than 50 employees on payroll they must accomodate you. They don't have to PAY you for the break but they have to let you take the time. Ideally one session for every three hours apart.

And one more session there. You need a grand total of 15 minutes...most of that actually pumping. Don't wash a thing at work.. you can rinse but DO NOT wash. 

I have a hand pump that I use when ever i can some time i can use it for like 5 min on each brease once or twice more or 10 min per breast once more.  Doing that has helped me increase the amount of milk that I can store.  I have started hand pumping while nursing some times when it is near me. 

OK, that's good. But really, you need to get more sessions in, and they need to feed less while you're away. 8-10 ounces for your eight hour shift. 12-15 ounces for your 12 hour shift. NO MORE.

• mamoore83
    October 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Thank you for the website it does have alot of info

Quoting maggiemom2000:

That is great to sneak in a few minutes of pumping here and there with the hand pump!

Check out this article, there are tips for working with caregivers to give less milk so that baby will take more milk directly from you while you are home.

There is also a section on pumping more with a big variety of tips.

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/2012/07/returning-to-work-breastfeeding-mothers.html

• MonicaV1982
    October 7, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I'm gonna be mean here, but that's really just life. You are your child's advocate. Think of this as practice for all the things that your child, your husband, the rest of your family, your boss, and all the other groups of people that are vying for you to be a pushover. Your child is relying on you to stand up for her. You are doing good by getting support and by becoming educated on the subject. I'm the only one that BF's too. My sister barely tried, and my mom thinks she wasn't able to. Side note: I was taken to a different hospital after I was born and so I was separated from her. My mom was not released for over 4 days. They were giving me special supplements and this was before they had women pumping. My mom ff her other 3 kids thinking that her body wasn't able to produce milk. No one in my family cares that I BF. Granted I don't get negative comments, but my family hates talking about BF, cause it's "judgemental" regardless of how it is stated. I'm on the fence about a resource guide I was going to put together for my SIL because I don't want to come off as push. Before I had DD I was told by my sisters soon to be ex-MIL that I should stock up on formula in case I didn't make any. Good thing I was part of this group and that I have a logical mind. That was one of the only times I felt legitimately insulted. Why would I as a healthy female with both breasts and no health conditions that can cause low milk supply assume that I can't feed my child? To me she was telling me that my body was incapable of doing what most women did throughout history. I was the one that went online to educate myself. I wanted to know what to do in case of x. I wanted to know the myths and facts, so I could recognize them when they were thrown at me. I've already told DH that when we see his family that I expect him to stand up for me, and if he doesn't I will say something to them. Granted I have also stated that I will be willing to go to another room to nurse Charlotte. Given that she takes forever to feed and Dh doesn't like his Aunt he already stated that he'd come and join me (plus it's an excuse to get away from everyone in that case). Even DH is not always supportive. Besides the fact that formula smells bad and is expensive he could care less and sees nothing wrong with feeding to keep the baby quiet. I have to remind him of the link to obesity later in life. Point is that YOU are your child's advocate. Show them the kellymom site. Print out the bottle feeding instructions for caregivers. Show them the calculator that assesses how much pumped milk to give. Most importantly, YOU ARE THE BOSS!

Quoting mamoore83:

I am sorry to admit but I am a push over, it's hard for me stand up for myself espically when it's something that's going against the grain. I am the only one in my and my husband's family that breast feeds (mothers and grandmothers included) and the only one at day care so every time i say something they look at me like I have 3 heads, but I am determined to at least make it to the 1 year mark I'd even like to go further. I have given a can of dry formula to the day care and they mix up the bottles as needed I will take that away and only send the breast milk so they have no other option, I saw that last time she was there they mixed the bm and formula together I have no idea why because I sent enough milk with her to even feed her on their schedule. If I could get them to feed her the right amount I have no problems pumping that much. Having you guys here to ask questions and see the advice has really helped me even keep on feeding her this long since I have no support IRL thanks :-) 

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mamoore83:

Good.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts