Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Awaiting_Bailey
poop
October 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

My 6 week old daughter has only pooped 2 times in the past 3 days.  She pushes often, and it even makes the sound of her poop coming out.. but when I check the diaper there is only a "skid mark".  She is breastfed, but I am not drying up, I still have a "letdown" every 45 minutes or so.. I lightly squeeze my breast and milk does squirt out still, and I can hear her swallowing.  What can I do to help her?  I tried stimulating with thermometer and it did not help.

Replies

• KylersMom8-16-7
    October 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    the first 6-8 weeks.

At around the age ofsixweeks,the stoolingpattern of a breastfed baby may change. It is not uncommon for the breastfed baby to skip days between bowel movements. Some babies skip every other day, some go every two or three days, some once every 5 - 7 days, and some babies hold out for up to 11 or 12 days at a time - then have quite a FULL diaper when they DO go!

There is absolutely no reason to intervene and try methods commonlyused to "induce" a bowel movement (such as prune or othertypes ofjuices, water, glycerin suppositories,orusingrectal stimulation). If artificial stimulation is done too often, the baby's system can become dependant upon this stimulation to "go", and no longer is able to have a normal bowel movement ontheirown.

In most cases, as long as baby is not acting ill (lethargic, cryinginpain,etc.),the tummy is soft, not rigid or distended, skipping days between stools is not cause for alarm, however, mothershould not hesitate to ask her health care provider to check her baby to be sure there is no physical problem.
  • aehanrahan
    October 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    There is nothing wrong! There is no need to try to get her to go. It is normal for a breastfed baby to slow down in pooping after 3-4 weeks. The group record is 20 days ending with a normal blowout. Not pooping is not an Isadore. Pooping hard, dry pellets is what is an issue.
  • Gruntlings
    October 5, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Avoid stimulating bowel movements- it's normal for breastfed babies to go to even 2 weeks without a poop. So much of breastmilk is absorbed.It's better to just let baby's system work itself out.Unless the poop is like little pellets she's not constipated.

What you can do is help her pass gas- this is what usually is bugging a non-pooping breastfed baby. Bicycle her legs back to her chest. Try this without a diaper- you'll know when you're doing it right because her bum will open up a bit. Press her legs back up against her belly (they'll bend) and move them around gently like you're playing. Alternate them/move them together/side to side/etc. Most babies will fart easily like this and go back to be happy non-poopers until they decide to let all the poop out. Then you'll likely suffer a massive blow-out where poop gets on everything.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts