Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Autumn355
Easier to formula feed
October 5, 2012 at 1:52 PM
There is no way anyone could convince me that ff is easier than bf! Last night I did the dishes, made dinner and nursed ds all at the same time (love my babyhawk, btw)!! Couldnt have done that with a bottle, lol!!

Replies

• Amberleigh81
    October 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    Babywearing IS natural. Humans have been doing it forever! I hear all the time "I wish they'd had stuff like that when my baby was little" when I am out and about wearing my son.

What kind of carrier do you have? When my son was wee little, I had a Moby. I had to watch some YouTube videos and practice to make it work, but I was able to get it, and nursed all the time in it! (My son nursed 90 minute sessions...)

Now, I use an Ergo or a ring sling, depending on the occasion and what I want to carry (the ring sling packs smaller for public transportation). I had to watch videos and read the booklets on those, too.

Also, I always found it easy to plan my shopping or chores around nursing. It gave me a chance to sit and get a drink or coffee during the day. :)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Ya well my baby nurses for a twenty minutes to a half hour every 2-3hrs. Every single time. I honestly don't know anyone that has ever sterilized water everyone here just uses tap water. Umm baby wearing isn't natural, cosleeping does not work for us...I can not sleep with any child in my bed. So that doesn't help me that makes matter worse. Also I don't baby wear well it hurts my body, I hurt the baby by hitting his head off walls, the counter etc. It doesn't work.

FYI I do feed in public I don't hide away I simply have to sit in order to feed him so that makes things far harder to be trying to walk around the mall, shopping etc.

My baby took to bf'ing like a champ never had an issue latching, never hurt me nothing. It still is so much easier to formula feed in my opinion.

Quoting silka08:

This would be a personal carryout difference vs ff and bf ease. Its also baby dependent.

If bottles are prepped to WHO(world health organization) standards the water is to be sterilized via boiling to sterilize the powdered formula.

My children nursed just 10mins evert 2-3hrs. Thats much easier than boiling, washing and feeding the bottle. Certainly they have moments they feed more often, but its still easier in the overall.

I dont miss out bevause I dont seclude myself. I wear two shirts, a tank and a T or sweater. I pull the tank down and the T up and 9/10 no one even knows im feeding and they have even been close enough to touch the baby.

Choosing not to babywear, co-sleep, secluding oneself are cultural burderns of BFing, not natural burdens. Most cultures women feed w/o thinking twice while out for coffee, in a store, etc. Choosing not to prepare via WHO standards is also a false ease of FF.

Also, every baby is different. Ceryainly the numerous babies with gastric issues or allergies would not be easoer to formula. Maybe a baby with a medical condition making latching difficult and inefficient might seem easier to bottlefeed. There are a lot of personal, cultural and baby specific reasons why one migjt find FF or BF easier.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It is a million times easier to FF than BF. I have done both and I got to tell ya, being strapped down every time my 7mo old wants to nurse when you have 3 other kids is horrible. If formula wasn't so expensive I would have formula fed a million times over than have ever breastfed. It is literally one of the hardest most draining things I have ever done as a mother and I don't necessarily think it was worth it.

Put 2 scoops of formula in a bottle, turn the tap on shake and by 7 mo's heck by 5mo's they were completely holding the bottle 100% on their own. Way, Way, Way easier. When we went out I simply turned the tap on hot put some hot water in a bottle. Threw it in the bag and had some premeasured formula that I could dump in it, shake and hand it to them. vs. Bf'ing where you have to find a spot to sit and be all discreet, and then miss half of the fun with the rest of your family because you had to feed the baby.

Oh I don't baby wear I am uncomfortable, slam the babies head off everything, my body aches. Nope can't do it.

• robibuni
    October 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    My SIL FFs and I watched her lay her baby (2 months old) flat on her back, and lay a bottle in her mouth and just walked around doing whatever. Even DH was like "...that baby is doomed".
  • fullxbusymom
    October 7, 2012 at 10:57 PM
    Okay, Our water is treated already we don't have contaminated or well water. Also NO daycare around here doesn't use car seats if they are private vehicles the only time they can do it is if it is a bus and even then if they are 3 or younger they are all put in car seats.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WHO recommends boiling the water, powdered infant formula is not sterile and can contain viruses and bacteria it is particularly dangerous for preemies and babies with low immune systems.  It SHOULD be boiled, doesnt have to be but SHOULD as far as safety.

Just because your kids are fine and daycares did it doesnt make it safe.  How many daycares dont usae carseats on their vans when they pick up afterschool? TONS. DOes that make it safe? nope

Quoting fullxbusymom:

No it doesn't and no one here does and even my pediatrician knew that. My kids all are safe and healthy so are every one of my 20yrs worth of daycare kids that everyone was done the same way by myself and their parents. Feel free to get off your high horse now.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

congratulations for improperly mixing formula. The water must be boiled to kill off all the bacteria and viruses living in the powdered formula since IT CAN'T BE STERILIZED.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

It is a million times easier to FF than BF. I have done both and I got to tell ya, being strapped down every time my 7mo old wants to nurse when you have 3 other kids is horrible. If formula wasn't so expensive I would have formula fed a million times over than have ever breastfed. It is literally one of the hardest most draining things I have ever done as a mother and I don't necessarily think it was worth it.

Put 2 scoops of formula in a bottle, turn the tap on shake and by 7 mo's heck by 5mo's they were completely holding the bottle 100% on their own. Way, Way, Way easier. When we went out I simply turned the tap on hot put some hot water in a bottle. Threw it in the bag and had some premeasured formula that I could dump in it, shake and hand it to them. vs. Bf'ing where you have to find a spot to sit and be all discreet, and then miss half of the fun with the rest of your family because you had to feed the baby.

Oh I don't baby wear I am uncomfortable, slam the babies head off everything, my body aches. Nope can't do it.

• XVAmomma
    October 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    Oh pardon me for expecting a woman that wants a baby so bad she will adopt that baby to go on an educate herself. I forgot that if you wish to do something you have to wait for the teachers to tell you ...guess what? You can do it!

I agree the system should teach about it. But just because the system fails you it doesn't excuse you from failing yourself!

Quoting gdiamante:

Or you haven't been made aware or found information about the possibility of lactating.

My mother didn't lactate after adopting me. No one talked about that in the early 1960s. And know what? Very few people talk about it now!

At LEAST twice a week, I see women here on CafeMom claiming "it's too late for me" because they didn't know any better. No one has told them that they can. When they read that it's possible, it's like telling someone that there IS life on other planets... they are stunned, shocked and amazed!

If someone hasn't found that information, then they are somehow at fault?

No. Sorry. Not ONE BIT OF IT. Not wanting to breastfeed or not wanting to has NOTHING to do with wanting to be a mom.

If you want to find someone to blame, it comes back to a system of education that doesn't teach our adolescent girls AND boys about this normal function of the body and about the miraculous ways it works. Yep, including the concept of relactation. The function and care of the whole human body should be a required subject with NO opt-out; it's merely biology and there are no morals to biology.

Quoting XVAmomma:

If you can't make yourself lactate after adopting then it isn't lack of desire; you belong to the 1% that can't... So as I said you fall in the need be category. I have no problem with ff for babies that can't lactate. My problem is with the momma who choose ff over bf. If you as a mom don't want the whole thing then you really don't want it.

• fullxbusymom
    October 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    I can't always work anything around the baby because I have 3 older kids 15, 14, & 6yrs old and their schedules have to be followed to the letter.

I can't babywear I have a very bad back w/this one and babywearing for more than 15mins throws my back out to the point I can barely move or even lift my son. So I have to be very careful and honestly babywearing was NEVER for me. I never had a need or desire. I simply would put them in whatever room I was in with some toys but nope not a fan of carrying my baby all the time, it is good for them to be able to be on their own for short spurts of time.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Babywearing IS natural. Humans have been doing it forever! I hear all the time "I wish they'd had stuff like that when my baby was little" when I am out and about wearing my son.

What kind of carrier do you have? When my son was wee little, I had a Moby. I had to watch some YouTube videos and practice to make it work, but I was able to get it, and nursed all the time in it! (My son nursed 90 minute sessions...)

Now, I use an Ergo or a ring sling, depending on the occasion and what I want to carry (the ring sling packs smaller for public transportation). I had to watch videos and read the booklets on those, too.

Also, I always found it easy to plan my shopping or chores around nursing. It gave me a chance to sit and get a drink or coffee during the day. :)

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Ya well my baby nurses for a twenty minutes to a half hour every 2-3hrs. Every single time. I honestly don't know anyone that has ever sterilized water everyone here just uses tap water. Umm baby wearing isn't natural, cosleeping does not work for us...I can not sleep with any child in my bed. So that doesn't help me that makes matter worse. Also I don't baby wear well it hurts my body, I hurt the baby by hitting his head off walls, the counter etc. It doesn't work.

FYI I do feed in public I don't hide away I simply have to sit in order to feed him so that makes things far harder to be trying to walk around the mall, shopping etc.

My baby took to bf'ing like a champ never had an issue latching, never hurt me nothing. It still is so much easier to formula feed in my opinion.

Quoting silka08:

This would be a personal carryout difference vs ff and bf ease. Its also baby dependent.

If bottles are prepped to WHO(world health organization) standards the water is to be sterilized via boiling to sterilize the powdered formula.

My children nursed just 10mins evert 2-3hrs. Thats much easier than boiling, washing and feeding the bottle. Certainly they have moments they feed more often, but its still easier in the overall.

I dont miss out bevause I dont seclude myself. I wear two shirts, a tank and a T or sweater. I pull the tank down and the T up and 9/10 no one even knows im feeding and they have even been close enough to touch the baby.

Choosing not to babywear, co-sleep, secluding oneself are cultural burderns of BFing, not natural burdens. Most cultures women feed w/o thinking twice while out for coffee, in a store, etc. Choosing not to prepare via WHO standards is also a false ease of FF.

Also, every baby is different. Ceryainly the numerous babies with gastric issues or allergies would not be easoer to formula. Maybe a baby with a medical condition making latching difficult and inefficient might seem easier to bottlefeed. There are a lot of personal, cultural and baby specific reasons why one migjt find FF or BF easier.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

• silka08
    by silka08
    October 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    One could say educating is a natural part of parenting and choosing not to homeschool is a sign you dont wanr to be a parent, you're simply being responsible for them but dont want them. That would say wanting to adopt insyead of pregnancy meams you never wanted to be a parent.

I just cannot wrap my mind around such simple thinking. Have you ever studied the sociological.aspect of breastfeeding and the impact cultural norns have on the decision process? Have you ever studied phsychology and the impact past physical trauma, such as sexual abuse, can have on decision process? Are you aware of the general lack of breadtfeeding education and abundance of improper information? Have you studied the impact of formula companies' questionable marketing might have on the decision making process?

Id also suggest plenty of women dont nurse due to enjoyment and may not even want to nurse but do so due to education or necessity. How would you gage that? Womem that dont enjoy nursing never wanted a child? If a mom doesnt enjoy the infant phase, but enjoys and finds shes excellent at raising during another phase (early childhood, tween, teen) she never wanted to be a parent? Or the mom that loves infamcy but struggles with tweens never wanted to be a mom?

Quoting XVAmomma:

We can agree to disagree.

But BF is so much more than breast to baby's mouth. You loose so much with FF.

And you can be a good mother and still not want to be a mother. That is call being responsible. Wanting something is wanting everything that goes with it or you don't really want it.

Quoting tth328:

Both ff and bf have their difficulties and either one should outweigh the another in effort. Mothers who want to ff for whatever reason shouldn't be damn as not wanting to be a mom simple because of one decision. People who don't want to be moms are people who abuse, neglect, murder their own child(ren), etc etc.

Quoting XVAmomma:

Yes! It is easier to haul all that around, clean and sterilized all of it, wait in line to buy formula and then deal with doctors, emergency rooms and all that jazz! Yeah, If you say so!

To me bottle feed is unnatural and should be dealt only in need be cases. Mom has to go to work (my situation/I still pump no formula for my baby) or mom dies or mom has no milk bank and had an emergency (real not I am so frustated I need a day SPA emergency) or in the worst case mom/baby are in the catastrophe 1% that really can't nurse.

I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO NURSE YOUR YOUNGS YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO BE A MOTHER.

• Autumn355
    October 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM
    I always hold my boob too, it feels weird if I dont. Lol! In the babyhawk I can squish my boob up to him so that its supported. Plus with him being upright, instead of cradle, his nose is on top and slightly away. This position also helps with OAL.

Quoting paknari:

Lol. Maybe it's just me. If I'm not propping my boob I feel like my dd is suffocating. So I sit there looking like I'm doing a breast exam. Also, because of daycare I still get the joy of cleaning and preparing bottles even though inam breastfeeding!

Quoting justone_jen:

My cup size is a G. I've never exposed myself in the seven months I've been breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding is easier for me. I hate cleaning the bottles she uses while I'm working. It's a huge pain in the ass. I wouldn't want to deal with it any more than I have to.

I only have to take diapers, wipes and an extra outfit when we go out. I don't have to wake up and make bottles in the middle of the night because she just latches when she's hungry. I don't have to go somewhere to buy her food/formula. Her milk is free.

The health benefits are why I breastfeed, but in my opinion, it is much more convenient. If you think formula feeding is easier, that's fine. I just wanted to point out that large breasts don't make it impossible to nurse in public. :)

Quoting paknari:

Unless I use my other hand to hold my breast up my dd can't bresthe. I'm sure that I could stand and expose myself to everyone around but I do plan on doing that! :-)

Quoting celestegood:

I have ddd breasts and bf on the go. You have to learn how to do it but it certainly is possible.

Quoting paknari:

I'm going to breastfeed this time but formula feeding is easier. It's not painful and for Someone with DD breasts I can't walk around feeding my child. I have to sit and hold my boob with both hands and use a bobby pillow to situate baby. I never propped the bottle but it is still a pai. In the ass to bf. if it wasn't for the health benefits I would never bf.

• tabi_cat1023
    October 7, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Its not the WATER thats the issue, its the actual formula, powdered formula is NOT sterile and this bacteria can bein it.  Has nothing to do with the water, but using boiled water sterilizes the powdered formula.

Good for the daycares near you, but I have worked at 6 different school in the area and do daycare pickup in the afternoons and often see 6 month olds in high back boosters, and kids under the age of 8 in nothing but seatbelt..law here is 8 and 80lbs to be out of a booster.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Okay, Our water is treated already we don't have contaminated or well water. Also NO daycare around here doesn't use car seats if they are private vehicles the only time they can do it is if it is a bus and even then if they are 3 or younger they are all put in car seats.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

WHO recommends boiling the water, powdered infant formula is not sterile and can contain viruses and bacteria it is particularly dangerous for preemies and babies with low immune systems.  It SHOULD be boiled, doesnt have to be but SHOULD as far as safety.

Just because your kids are fine and daycares did it doesnt make it safe.  How many daycares dont usae carseats on their vans when they pick up afterschool? TONS. DOes that make it safe? nope

Quoting fullxbusymom:

No it doesn't and no one here does and even my pediatrician knew that. My kids all are safe and healthy so are every one of my 20yrs worth of daycare kids that everyone was done the same way by myself and their parents. Feel free to get off your high horse now.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

congratulations for improperly mixing formula. The water must be boiled to kill off all the bacteria and viruses living in the powdered formula since IT CAN'T BE STERILIZED.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

• Amberleigh81
    October 7, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    I understand the bad back thing... that would make it harder to babywear.

I actually have a very tight schedule as well... I am a fulltime nursing student and I work. My mom watches my son while I am in class, but study time, academic fraternity meetings, school Senate meetings AND work means my son and I are on the go! I wear him at meetings and while I work. I've even nursed him while working and while presenting at the Senate! I have found that, by wearing him and nursing him on demand, I have given him confidence! He is super adventerous, because he always knows he has a solid "home base" in mommy if he needs me! :)
    Quoting fullxbusymom:

I can't always work anything around the baby because I have 3 older kids 15, 14, & 6yrs old and their schedules have to be followed to the letter.

I can't babywear I have a very bad back w/this one and babywearing for more than 15mins throws my back out to the point I can barely move or even lift my son. So I have to be very careful and honestly babywearing was NEVER for me. I never had a need or desire. I simply would put them in whatever room I was in with some toys but nope not a fan of carrying my baby all the time, it is good for them to be able to be on their own for short spurts of time.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting silka08:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

• tabi_cat1023
    October 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I can't babywear I have a very bad back w/this one and babywearing for more than 15mins throws my back out to the point I can barely move or even lift my son. So I have to be very careful and honestly babywearing was NEVER for me. I never had a need or desire. I simply would put them in whatever room I was in with some toys but nope not a fan of carrying my baby all the time, it is good for them to be able to be on their own for short spurts of time. but this doesnt mean its not natural, just that it doesnt work for you!

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting silka08:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts