Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
Kimbyann
my boy is sick
October 5, 2012 at 9:30 AM
I tried calling 3 docs and no call back yet. I think he has a low fever but we have a crappy thermometer.
He has been wanting to nurse every 15-30 mins but tosses it back up. Should I let him or just say no?
9/24/12

Replies

• melindabelcher
    mel
    October 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    How old is baby?
  • Kimbyann
    October 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    11 days

Quoting melindabelcher:

How old is baby?

• melindabelcher
    mel
    October 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM
    Baby should nurse and needs to nurse as often as he desires.
    what is the temp?
  • mostlymaydays
    October 5, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    I always thought my warm babies felt feverish. Get a good thermometer and get an accurate check. Absolutely keep nursing. Whether baby is sick or not. Tiny shots of milk will keep dehydration away, even if you think most of it is coming back up. Is this suddenly new behavior?
  • PrincessGemini
    October 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM

A few months ago my 9 month old had roseola, he was throwing up every time I nursed him and had a temperature of 105.7 which I brought back down with a luke warm bath ad cool wet socks on his feet. Try breastfeeding more often but for shorter intervals. That is what I did when he was sick and throwing up after almost every feeding and it really helped. He stopped throwing up after that. Whatever you do, do not stop breastfeeding. Your milk will keep your baby hydrated and will provide antibodies to help your baby fight off whatever is causing him to be sick in the first place.

• Kimbyann
    October 5, 2012 at 9:40 AM
    Our digital thermometer is shit and doesn't work but a forehead thermometer says 100.4 .
    He's sweating like a pig and is all pink. he's been using his diapers like theres no tomorrow

Quoting melindabelcher:

Baby should nurse and needs to nurse as often as he desires.

what is the temp?

• melindabelcher
    mel
    October 5, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    100.4 in a newbie is very borderline for me. If you bring him to the dr they could and often do alot of unnecessary testing.
    1. Get a good thermometer. personally I prefer a rectal one for littles
    2. Nurse nurse nurse
    3.wipe him down with a cool cloth.
    4. If his demeanor changes(increase lethargy, inconsolable crying etc) take him in to be seen
  • Kimbyann
    October 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    Doctor called and said the same.
    The cool cloth is making him more awake :)
    But also said only nurse every hr

Quoting melindabelcher:

100.4 in a newbie is very borderline for me. If you bring him to the dr they could and often do alot of unnecessary testing.

2. Nurse nurse nurse

4. If his demeanor changes(increase lethargy, inconsolable crying etc) take him in to be seen

• melindabelcher
    mel
    October 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    Nope, don't limit the nursing sessions. Especially at his age. I wouldn't let him go much longer then 1-2hrs without nursing but definetly dont limit him

Quoting Kimbyann:

Doctor called and said the same.

The cool cloth is making him more awake :)

But also said only nurse every hr

Quoting melindabelcher:

2. Nurse nurse nurse

• fortressmom
    October 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Don't limit nursing sessions. He needs those antibodies, even if it seems he's tossing it all back at you. Dr's have no real training in nursing, so take most of what they say where it's concerned with a grain of salt. Cool rags if needed to help him stay cooler and just keep an eye on his temp.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts