Breastfeeding Moms

RadnRem
Signing "milk" can be dangerous
by RadnRem
September 21, 2012 at 8:54 PM

I was laying down on my bed to nurse my 4 month old son to sleep at nap time.  We are both on our sides (me propped on my elbow) and I look down and say "Do you want some nummies?" as I sign milk to him a couple of times.

He got all kinds of excited, reached out and grabbed my nipple with both hands!   He just squeeled and pulled every which way!  Gah!  I swear he almost ripped it clear off!

I'm going to have to remain covered from now on, dang!

Replies

• Cruz-s-mommy
    September 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Lol, sorry mama! I signed/sign "milk" with DS, but then he would/does just wildly bury his face into my breast and start rooting, lol, been that way since 5 mos!

• RadnRem
    by RadnRem
    September 21, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Yeah, he's just now starting to act like he understands what it means.  But I've only been consistent with it for about a month and a half. He pretty much just goes nuts, flails his arms around until he gets a hold of me, and shoves his face into my breast  This has been the first nipple attack though, lol.

If he's really hungry/tired....he refuses to look at me signing.  Like "I don't have time for that nonsense, mother!  FEEEEEDD me!"

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Lol, sorry mama! I signed/sign "milk" with DS, but then he would/does just wildly bury his face into my breast and start rooting, lol, been that way since 5 mos!

• catholicmamamia
    September 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Oh, ouch! 

• Cruz-s-mommy
    September 21, 2012 at 9:39 PM

LMAO! Too funny. 

Quoting RadnRem:

Like "I don't have time for that nonsense, mother!  FEEEEEDD me!"

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I haven't had a nipple attack yet, but DS is 13months and I'm letting him self-wean, so there may be one yet! In fact, yesterday he found the nipple on my other breast (he would've found it a long long time ago, but I usually only have out one at a time, lol) he tried fiddling with it, but I was able to distract him with a rubber bracelet, which occupied him for the rest of the session. He has also started yanking on my hair during feedings, so I think that bracelet or another "fiddly," may have to become a regular part of our nursing relationship.

• aehanrahan
    September 21, 2012 at 11:49 PM
    Ouch!
  • ourluvalwayz
    September 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    how do you sign milk to your baby? this is my first time breastfeeding but i find that so interesting and would like to try it
  • RadnRem
    by RadnRem
    September 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDtqFtV8dbc

I had to look it up when I first heard about it!

• risa_alvarez
    September 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM

O.o  Ouch, I'm scared of that now. We will be teaching baby ASL because my SIL (Dh's little sister) is deaf. Hopefully he doesn't attack my nipple like that.

Breastfeeding Moms