Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
metzeli
I think that I'm drying up already.
by metzeli
April 23, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Ok I'm very new to BF. This is my second baby and I pump she has a hard time trying to latch she will still go to breast but on her terms (least thats what it feels like). I have been pumping every 2-3 hours except at night when we both sleep between 4-5 hours thenshe feeds and I pump again. But when I used to get 2-4 oz out of each side I'm now lucky if i get an ounce or so out of each side, I will put her to breast to see if I can stimulate more but I'm starting to get worried. I dont wanna go to formula if I can help it. Any help, Ideas anything would be awsome. I would really like for this to work for us. I love the bonding that I get with her and so does hubs since he can help durnign the night or day if im busy. plus he will be caregiver while I'm at work.

Sorry baby was born 4/6/12 and

Replies

• neftalizito
    April 24, 2012 at 12:04 AM
    Well just drinks lots and lots of water. Eat oatmeal. Or call your lactation nurse she might tell you to buy fenugreek to help with your milk production. And drink mothers tea
  • MommyOfTheBest2
    April 24, 2012 at 12:26 AM
    My advice: stop with bottles now! If she latches at all on the breast then stop giving bottles and only put her to breast. You are causing nipple confusion and risk her getting bottle preference. If you want to continue giving bottles then you need to up your pumping and start some galactagogues to boost supply since baby isn't really doing it. I really suggest that if she latches on the breast you just stop bottles. At less than three weeks you need to nip that habit in the bud. You can reintroduce bottles later when you return to work but NOW you need to establish supply and latch.
  • MommyOfTheBest2
    April 24, 2012 at 12:29 AM
    The first month of breastfeeding should be lots of skin to skin, putting baby to breast whenever she wants for however long she wants. Hubby can help in other ways!
  • larissalarie
    April 24, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    Well If she's capable of latching, stop pumping and nurse directly. Yes she wants to do it "on her terms" but that is a one way ticket to full formula feeding. Since she has the ability to latch, stop letting her dictate the terms and outstubborn her. She nurses or she doesn't eat. Toss the bottles. She won't starve herself, biology will kick in and she'll eat long before that's even a possibility.

If you are determined not to get her exclusively breastfeeding and keep with the pumping only, you've got to really step up and be married to the pumping schedule. It really HAS to be every two hours in the day and no more them three overnight. Even if you can do that, most moms lose their pump response pretty quickly without a fully nursing baby (because a pump isn't nearly the simulation that a baby is to keep supply going).

Good luck and congrats on the new baby!
  • gdiamante
    April 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM

What larissa said. If you're going to pump exclusively then you must be on the pump very often and no skipping. Since baby WILL latch, then latch her. No more bottles. She's gonna dislike it mightily. Thats OK. The mom gig involves doing MANY things our kids dislike. Indeed, be worried if your kid is happy with something you do. **grin**

I'm about to go do something my kid dislikes mightily... make him get up for school and finish his math homework. I expect to hear 15 "I hate you"s in the next hour. That's fine... means I'm doing the job!

• maggiemom2000
    April 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

I agree with breast only when you are together. Make some plans for a nursing vacation:

Sometimes the best thing to do in a situation like this is to take a "nursing vacation"

Plan to spend 24-48 hours doing nothing but holding and nursing your baby.  Get in bed with her (bring a pile of DVDs and/or magazines if that will help) and do nothing but hold her and nurse her.  Spend as much of that time as you can in skin to skin contact (baby in just a diaper, you without a shirt).  Hold her on your chest and let her sleep there.  Allow her to, and encourage her to, nurse as frequently as she likes (even if it is every 10 minutes).  This can help the two of you get “back in sync”.  It will also boost your milk supply.

PUMPING:

What kind of pump are you using?

It sounds like you will need to pump when you go back to work, so continuing to pump 1-2 times a day (morning is best) will maintain your response to the pump in your prep for going back to work. But stick to 100% breast when you and baby are together.

This video shows you how to maximize pump output: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
  • tabi_cat1023
    April 24, 2012 at 11:03 AM

You can do this momma, if she will latch then do that...if you want to EP theres a post on exclusive pumping in the resources link on this forum check it out .it will tell you all you need to know

• metzeli
    by metzeli
    April 25, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Thanks Ladies for all the help. I have been putting her to breast more for the last 24 hours and my poor nipples are so sore it make me cry. But I wanna do this for her so bad. I have been pumping in between her nursing as well. And for Maggi I own a Evenflow pnp thats about 6 years old I had it with my first daughter. I cant afford a double pump or a new one or I would have upgraded. I also have a manual Medela (sp) that I use too if the electric doesnt seem to work well enough.

• maggiemom2000
    April 25, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Quoting metzeli:

Thanks Ladies for all the help. I have been putting her to breast more for the last 24 hours and my poor nipples are so sore it make me cry. But I wanna do this for her so bad. I have been pumping in between her nursing as well. And for Maggi I own a Evenflow pnp thats about 6 years old I had it with my first daughter. I cant afford a double pump or a new one or I would have upgraded. I also have a manual Medela (sp) that I use too if the electric doesnt seem to work well enough.

Yeah, Evenflo pumps have a HORRIBLE reputation :-( IT would be VERY difficult to maintain a full supply exclusively or even mostly pumping with that pump. the medela HArmony manual is good, but not comprable to a high quality double electric.

If you qualify for WIC they may be able to hook you up with a better pump.

I really think you need to get that latch fixed so that you can nurse comfortably! That fact that it is hurting says there is a problem with the latch.

Here's some basic info with links to more:

Latching and Positioning Resources

AUGUST 29, 2011. Posted in: BREASTFEEDING BASICS

No matter what latch and positioning look like, the true measure is in the answers to these two questions:

1. Is it effective?
    2. Is it comfortable?

Even if latch and positioning look perfect (and, yes, even if a lactation consultant told you they were fine), pain and/or ineffective milk transfer indicate that there is a problem somewhere, and the first suspect is ineffective latch/positioning.

If baby is transferring milk and gaining weight well, and mom is not hurting, then latch and positioning are – by definition – good, even if it’s nothing like the “textbook” latch and positioning that you’ve seen in books.

“Rules and regulations have no place in the mother-baby relationship. Each mother and baby dyad is different and what works well for one mother and baby may not work well for another mother and baby. The important thing to do is to look at the mother and baby as individuals.”– Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC in The Mother-Baby Dance

Following are some of my favorite resources on latch and positioning:

Biological Nurturing: Laid-Back Breastfeeding from Dr. Suzanne Colson. Breastfeeding in a semi-reclined position can be very helpful for both mom and baby.

Latching handouts by Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC

Breastfeeding: Off to the best start from the UK Department of Health
    (Lovely latching pictures here, with simple directions.)

Deep Latch Technique from The Pump Station.
    (Good latching pictures and directions.)

When Latching by Anne J. Barnes, has instructions with drawings
    (The drawings and tips here are helpful.)

Latching videos by Dr. Jack Newman

Animation illustrating assymetrical latch technique by Victoria Nesterova
    (Nice animation — text is in Russian.)

The Mother-Baby Dance: Positioning and Latch-On by Andrea Eastman, MA, CCE, IBCLC
    (This is a longish article written for breastfeeding counselors that has some nice descriptions of latching and positioning, along with info on why some things tend to work better than others.)

Is baby latching on and sucking efficiently? How to tell from AskDrSears.com
    (A useful list.)

L-A-T-C-H-E-S * Breastfeeding Assessment Tool (for the first 4 weeks) and Scoring Key by Marie Davis, RN, IBCLC
    (A tool for professionals that could also be useful for moms who are wondering if breastfeeding is going fine and whether additional help is needed.)

Help for various nursing positions

Lactation yoga, or side-lying nursing without getting up to switch sides by Eva Lyford, @ 

Nursing Laying Down (step-by-step description with photos) from Mother-to-Mother.com

Some tips on the football & cross cradle nursing positions by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

Some tips on nursing while lying down by Kathy Kuhn, IBCLC

More useful information

Latching: Thoughts on pushing baby’s chin down when latching @ 

Taking baby off the breast by Marie Davis, IBCLC

PDF Baby-led Latching: An “Intuitive” Approach to Learning How to Breastfeed by Mari Douma, DO, from the Michigan Breastfeeding Network Newsletter, December 2003, Volume 1, Issue 3.

PDF When the Back of the Baby’s Head is Held to Attach the Baby to the Breast by Robyn Noble DMLT, BAppSc(MedSc), IBCLC and Anne Bovey, BspThy

Breast Compression by Jack Newman, MD. The purpose of breast compression is to continue the flow of milk to the baby once the baby no longer drinks on his own, and thus keep him drinking milk. Breast compression simulates a letdown reflex and often stimulates a natural let-down reflex to occur. The technique may be useful for poor weight gain in the baby, colic in the breastfed baby, frequent feedings and/or long feedings, sore nipples in the mother, recurrent blocked ducts and/or mastitis, encouraging the baby who falls asleep quickly to continue drinking.

• maggiemom2000
    April 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM

You'll want to rule out tongue tie as well. Here is some info on ongue tie and getting a good latch:

Tongue Tie Help    Latch Help

Is My Baby Tongue-tied?

Now that more mothers are breastfeeding, tongue-tie (ankyloglossia) is on the forefront of medical research again. Some tongue-tied babies breastfeed without difficulty, others cause their mother pain, don't get enough milk, or have difficulty swallowing properly and are very unhappy during and after feeding.

If you are concerned that your baby may be tongue-tied, the following may help you decide if you need more help. An IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) can help with breastfeeding, and many different dentists and doctors can help if your baby needs treatment for tongue-tie. Seehttp://www.lowmilksupply.org/frenotomy.shtml for a list of doctors and dentists who are particularly good at diagnosing and treating tongue-tie.

The first thing to assess is whether your baby can stick out his or her tongue. If you touch your baby's lips, he will probably open his mouth. You can then touch the front of his lower gum with your fingertip. This makes him stick the tongue out. We want to see the tongue come out flat over the lip, without dipping down or pointing down. If your baby can only stick his tongue out when his mouth is closed, that can indicate a posterior (further back) tongue-tie.

Next, we want to see if your baby can lift her tongue way up to the roof of the mouth. All the way up is perfect, half way is enough for most babies to be able to breastfeed. Again, her mouth should be wide open. Most tongue-tied babies can only lift their tongues when their mouths are mostly closed.

Obvious and Sneakier Tongue-ties:

This baby (pic 3) has an obvious tongue-tie. You can see the membrane right at the front of the tongue, and you can see how it makes it hard for him to lift his tongue up.

The baby in pic 4 is also tongue-tied. If you run your finger along the outside of a baby's lower gum, her tongue will try to follow. If the tongue twists like this, it's a sign of tongue-tie.

The baby in pic 5 has a sneaky (posterior) tongue-tie. You can see that it is difficult to get a finger under the tongue. If you press on the front of the little membrane under the tongue (the frenulum), a tied tongue will pull down in the center like this. This shows that the frenulum is tight and does not allow the tongue to move well. This diagnostic trick is called the Murphy Maneuver after Dr. Jim Murphy of California.

Pic 6 shows a very sneaky tongue-tie - a posterior or submucosal one. The frenulum (membrane holding the tongue down) is hiding behind the floor of the mouth (the oral mucosa). You can see that the tongue doesn't lift very well, and that the floor of the mouth is tented out a little.

Notice how when the baby in pic 6 tries to lift her tongue (pic 7), nothing at all is visible except the limited ability to lift the tongue up.

Again, some babies with posterior or submucosal tongue-tie can breastfeed, others have a lot of difficulty. Moms breast and nipple shape and milk supply can make things easier or more difficult for the baby.

The best way to diagnose a posterior tongue-tie is to lift the tongue with a grooved director. Doctors who treat tongue-tie usually have one.

The final thing to do is watch your baby cry. If only the edges of the tongue curl up like in tt pic 9, that's a sure sign that the frenulum is tight.

Now that you have an idea whether your baby has normal tongue movement ability or not, you can decide what kind of help may be most useful.

A guide to latching your baby

Snuggle your baby against your body so he is tummy to tummy (front to front) and lean back comfortably. Most mothers like to hold the baby with the same side arm as they are nursing from, or with both hands. The more you lean back, the more gravity helps hold baby, and the less strain on your arms.

Babies find the breast by feel and smell. Cuddle your baby in a comfortable position so your nipple touches that cute notch right above her upper lip, and her chin snuggles against your breast.

She will then open her mouth wide.

It will look like she won't be able to get her upper lip past the nipple.

She'll tilt her head back a little bit and lunge in for a good mouthful. If her nose is blocked, snuggle her bottom close to your body and slide her a little toward your other breast.

If this doesn't work for you, try leaning even farther back, so your nipple points up in the air. Then turn your baby so he is laying on your chest, with his face aligned to the breast the same way as in the latch photos above.

If you need to shape your breast a little to define a better mouthful, you can do this with one fingers above or below the nipple, or a finger above and a finger below.

If these things don't work, express milk very frequently (at least 8 times a day) to feed your baby, and get in-person help!

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts