Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
jess227ny
watery poop...
November 26, 2011 at 8:24 PM
DS2 is 3 weeks old. And the past few days his poop has been like colored water. Never had this with DS1 is this when I start looking at what I'm eating to start removing things from my diet? He is nursing like a champ and its still a dark mustard color if that helps.
FYI...I'm going to the pedi on Tuesday and he is super pro BF (meaning he would help me figure out the issue before jumping to formula etc)but I figured I'd ask you ladies first.
Thanks ladies :)

Replies

• larissalarie
    November 26, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    I thought watery poop was normal at this age...you could try block feeding if you think it's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.
  • gdiamante
    November 26, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Rather than remove things from your diet, start with block feeding. One breast, all feeds, for a period of three hours to start. Other breast for the next block of time. This will get more fat into baby. Often watery poop is a sign of too much breast switching.

• ty355172
    November 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    Foremilk/hindmilk inbalance
  • jess227ny
    November 26, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    Hmm interesting...because at first I believe I had an oversupply so I was block feeding. Then the last few days he seems to cluster feed again in the evening and I've been doing both boobs. I'll have to go back to block feeding again. I hope that's all it is. Thanks ladies so much :)
  • jess227ny
    November 26, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    Watery as in colored water? I thought it was supposed to be very loose but kind of seedy. Idk though really ...

Quoting larissalarie:

I thought watery poop was normal at this age...you could try block feeding if you think it's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

• larissalarie
    November 26, 2011 at 8:49 PM
    Well my kids always had crazy runny poo at first...like run out the sides of the diapers and stain everything, lol. I never worried about it. I think block feeding is a good first step if you're concerned. It certainly won't hurt anything.

Quoting jess227ny:

Watery as in colored water? I thought it was supposed to be very loose but kind of seedy. Idk though really ...

Quoting larissalarie:

• jess227ny
    November 26, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    Thanks for the reassurance. DS1 had the super seedy poops. However he also had green poops at times and my pedi then (differnt one from now) always said it ws normal. Now I know different that it was an imbalance so it makes sense it might be that same issue now but with a differnt side effect. Who knew we would be so into poop?? Lol.

Quoting larissalarie:

Well my kids always had crazy runny poo at first...like run out the sides of the diapers and stain everything, lol. I never worried about it. I think block feeding is a good first step if you're concerned. It certainly won't hurt anything.

Quoting jess227ny:

Quoting larissalarie:

• Daynaof3
    November 27, 2011 at 3:08 AM
    Is it soaking in to the diaper and just leaving a shade of color or is it laying on top of the diaper but more watery/less seedy than usual? The first is diarrhea, the second is normal.
  • ashleigheg
    November 27, 2011 at 4:28 AM
    This!

Quoting Daynaof3:

Is it soaking in to the diaper and just leaving a shade of color or is it laying on top of the diaper but more watery/less seedy than usual? The first is diarrhea, the second is normal.
  • jess227ny
    November 27, 2011 at 6:05 AM
    Yes, it is soaking into the diaper. No seeds at all.

Quoting Daynaof3:

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts