Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
CowgirlMama0508
Breastfeeding "necessities"
July 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM
Ok ladies. I'm determined to breastfeed longer than the hospital stay this time. I am going to need LOTS of encouragement. I always get so stressed out and frustrated with it that I give up. But not this time!!!!
With that said, what are some things I will need to make it easier on me. I'm a stay at home mom so the pump I don't 'need'. I'm talking things like...nursing tops? I bought a nursing cover up but didn't know if the nursing tops are actually something I need. How many nursing bras? What's easiest for night feedings (pj wise) basically some BTDT experiences that make it easier for you. Please help. And I'm serious about the encouragement lol I'm due in 5 weeks so we have time.

Replies

• gdiamante
    July 27, 2011 at 1:19 AM

NEED?

At least one breast.

Baby.

Done.

If you leak, add nursing pads. Also add lansinoh. Since you have more than one child, also add a sling.

The rest? Optional. Never owned a nursing top myself.

• babydsmommy18
    July 27, 2011 at 1:21 AM

I started off with three nursing bra's and i got nursing pads as well.. I sleep in a nursing tank and I also wear a nursing tank under all my shirts but I dont cover while nursing thats why i do that.. For me the hardest part of nursing was getting my kids to have a good latch the first week was tough but once they got that good latch and my milk came in my kids did great.. I'm currently BF my 9 month old..  After the first week or two it gets alot easier.. plus JMO but BF is so much easier then having to worry about Bottles,formula and water temps.. You CAN do this and I would see about speaking with a LC in the hospital so they can help you get the baby on just right.. Also if a position is not working for you try other ones my son nurses best laying side by side he has since birth... GOOD LUCK and we are here if you need anything!!

• CowgirlMama0508
    July 27, 2011 at 1:21 AM
    Ok I have a moby wrap...I thought about just getting some spaghetti strap tanks and just wearing a hoodie once it gets colder. thanks!!
  • CowgirlMama0508
    July 27, 2011 at 1:23 AM
    Thank you!! Yeah with my girls I breastfed in the hospital and then just gave them formula at home (honestly pure laziness lmao) so I'm really wanting this to work!!

Quoting babydsmommy18:

I started off with three nursing bra's and i got nursing pads as well.. I sleep in a nursing tank and I also wear a nursing tank under all my shirts but I dont cover while nursing thats why i do that.. For me the hardest part of nursing was getting my kids to have a good latch the first week was tough but once they got that good latch and my milk came in my kids did great.. I'm currently BF my 9 month old..  After the first week or two it gets alot easier.. plus JMO but BF is so much easier then having to worry about Bottles,formula and water temps.. You CAN do this and I would see about speaking with a LC in the hospital so they can help you get the baby on just right.. Also if a position is not working for you try other ones my son nurses best laying side by side he has since birth... GOOD LUCK and we are here if you need anything!!

• gdiamante
    July 27, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Oh... I did have a nursing nightgown... didn't end up using it much because it kept going in the laundry. I kept a towel in bed with me at all times and only wore underwear to bed for quite a while.

• mom23girls721
    July 27, 2011 at 1:26 AM

IMO, you don't NEED nursing tops, I don't have any and I've done ok.  I would have 2-3 nursing bras, because they will get dirty, I don't know about others but my DD is constanting getting milk all over it!! 

As far as my suggestions for PJ's, I wear pajama bottoms and a nursing bra-no top, and by the middle of the night, I don't even bother latching my bra back up, I just sleep exposed (co-sleep) so its much easier to feed!!

IMO, I think you need some sort of pump, but since you're a SAHM, a good manual pump would do great, unless you're good at hand expressing-which I am NOT!  You may want to check at your hospital after you give birth because some will give you a Medela Manual pump if you tell them you're BF and need to pump.

I NEEDED a nipple shield (which they will also give you in the hospital if you ask) for very sore nipples b/c my LO took her sweet time learning to latch properly!  But not everyone needs one.

Hmmmm.... Can't think of anything else right now, but i'm sure more people will chime in!

• Jeckers
    by Jeckers
    July 27, 2011 at 1:29 AM
    I think its called lansolin nipple cream!! Definate must have!
  • Mrs.Tark
    July 27, 2011 at 1:33 AM

I breast fed my son until he was 18 months old, I had two Nursing bra's, and for the first little while I used the lansinoh cream. I would get breast pads as well, a few boxes of them! I plan on doing the same thing with my Moby wrap this time around... Im due on the 15th....... For PJ's I wore a tank top, or a long button up night shirt and left the top few buttons undone, always had a towel in bed with me, (co-sleeper) so that way if my milk leaked it didnt get in my bed... 

• kerwolfe712
    July 27, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Lansinoh!  And a refillable water bottle.  

As far as clothes, if money is a factor, you don't NEED nursing clothes.  That said, I wanted and enjoyed mine.  I bought nursing bras (a well-fitting, comfortable bra IS a necessity, though it doesn't have to be a nursing bra), nursing tanks and a couple nice nursing shirts.  I wore nursing tanks to bed.  If you are buying nursing bras, I had the best luck with Nummies and You! Lingerie.  Tanks, the Gilligan O'Malley from Target.com; I was given a couple Glamourmom ones and found them to be super itchy.

• chrissygordon
    July 27, 2011 at 1:53 AM
    I found lasinoh, breast pads and tank tops are all I need. I also bought a couple pretty nursing bras, they really help too :-)

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts