Featured Posts
ashleywagoner
How old is too old to nurse a child?
July 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM

In your opinion?

Replies

• maggiemom2000
    July 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    Since all children will naturally wean in their own time I don't think I can put a number on it. The natural age of weaning is between 2.5-7 years, and virtually all children will wean in that timeframe.

In other words, a child who is too old to nurse will not be nursing!
  • strwberrypatch3
    July 24, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Aggreed.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Since all children will naturally wean in their own time I don't think I can put a number on it. The natural age of weaning is between 2.5-7 years, and virtually all children will wean in that timeframe.

In other words, a child who is too old to nurse will not be nursing!

• ThePinkRobot
    July 24, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    I don't even know if you're asking about the age of the mother or the child…
  • maggiemom2000
    July 24, 2011 at 11:34 PM
    Quoting ThePinkRobot:

I don't even know if you're asking about the age of the mother or the child…

ha ha! I didn't even think of that! I'm 44 (and nursing DD) and sometimes I feel too old!
  • llove12
    by llove12
    July 24, 2011 at 11:34 PM
    For me,18 months. I dont care what anyone else does but I like to have my body back to me.
  • aehanrahan
    July 24, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Too old is when the child can no longer latch due to changes in the jaw due to losing the baby teeth.

• tabi_cat1023
    July 24, 2011 at 11:48 PM

HMMM when they go to college???

I think my limit is between 4-5..I used to say 4 but my guy nursed til 3.5 and it still wasnt wierd at all for me so I think it changes overtimes....at first I thought a year was wierd and then I thought pver 2 was wierd and its changed as my guy got older...

• tabi_cat1023
    July 24, 2011 at 11:48 PM

THIS

Quoting aehanrahan:

Too old is when the child can no longer latch due to changes in the jaw due to losing the baby teeth.

• lisakansas
    July 24, 2011 at 11:49 PM

For me personally, or an overall rule?  For me personally, past a year.  As an overall rule, I don't think there is or should be a specific cutoff age.

• bec94
    by bec94
    July 24, 2011 at 11:52 PM
    I originally thought 1 yr was enough. Walking and talking creeped me out. Well, opinions can change. Dd #2 is going to be 2 on the 31st and still nurses. I'm ready got her to be done but I'm also going to miss it.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN