Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
chocolat-smiles
breastfeeding help please!! if you know ANYTHING about breastfeeding please open. UPDATE...UPDATE..UPDATE
July 4, 2011 at 8:49 AM

morning ladies!!

i had my babygirl on friday the 1st and an hour after she was born i started breastfeeding her. She took to it immediatly and i started breastfeeding her on demand since then ( every couples of hours for about 40 minutes sometimes over an hour). I wanted to make sure i was doing it right and ask to see a lactation consultant and was told that because it was the 4th of July weekend, no lactation consultant was available and i had to rely on my nurses who really didn't help much besides telling me that to their knowledge i was doing a good job. Well fast forward 3 days and i'm now home with baby but my nipples are so sore that it hurts to lift my shirt so i had my SO go to the store and get me some formula for the day so i can let them heal. i'm almost depressed by this but it hurts so bad i couldn't even push through the pain i was in tears. My question is will i dry up and fail breastfeeding because of giving her formula for 24 hours and how can i make sure i succeed breastfeeing her because that's really what i want to do. PLEASE HELP ME, I DON'T WANT TO FAIL HER!!

UPDATE

I THINK WE FINALLY GOT IT! :) I PUMPED FOR THE NEXT 24 HOUR JUST TO WAIT FOR MY NIPPLES TO HEAL BECAUSE THEY WERE IN ROUGH SHAPE AND THEN I PUT HER BACK ON THE BREAST. IT DIDN'T SEEM TO CONFUSE HER THAT MUCH. IT STILL HURTS FOR THE FIRST MINUTE OR SO AND THEN IT'S JUST PRESSURE FROM HER SUCKING BUT I THINK THAT'S NORMAL (@ LEAST I HOPE LOL). SHE'S HAPPY AND HEALTHY SO FAR AND SHE PEES AND POOPS LIKE A CHAMP. (IT'S BRIGHT GREEN/YELLOW WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE SEEDS IN IT AND THE DOC SAID THAT WAS PERFECTLY FINE). I'LL KEEP THIS UP AND HOPEFULLY IT WON'T HURT @ ALL ANYMORE SOON. I WANTED TO THANK YOU LADIES FOR BEING SO HELPFUL AND FOR MAKING ME FEEL LIKE I WAS CAPABLE OF DOING IT. U LADIES ARE THE BEST!!

ps: I STILL PUMP TWICE A DAY FOR WHEN WE'RE OUT AND ABOUT BECAUSE I HAVE NOT MASTERED NIP YET AND I'M NOT HIDING IN THE BATHROOMS TO FEED HER. BUT SINCE SHE'S ON MY BREAST LIKE 10 TIMES A DAY I DON'T THINK IT WILL HURT. THAT IS ALL FOR NOW. THANKS AGAIN!!

Replies

• jessnjosh87
    July 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM

EVERY BOTTLE YOU GIVE HER HURTS YOUR BREASTFEEDING REALTIONSHIP. Let your nipples air dry after every nursing session, use Lanosil on them, cold/hot packs (whatever feels better), and KEEP NURSING. She is way too little too start bottles. THE FIRST TWO WEEKS ARE HELL. DONT GIVE UP.

• brunac
    by brunac
    July 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM

You won't dry up but u will be very very very engorged-it might decrease milk supply-it's a supply and demand deal-yes the nipples feel llike they are going to fall off-but try some lanolin, or breastmilk and let them dry, it doesn't last long. My last LO my nipples got so sore they cracked and bled, but i pushed through the pain, take some meds that the doc said is ok to take-good luck momma-YOU CAN DO IT

• kamrynlily07
    July 4, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    No it is not too late... First throw out the formula. If you can, get a GOOD pump (I love my Medela Pump in Style). Just attach the baby to you all day and all night. There will be discomfort in the beginning but it is temporary. If you HAVE to give the baby a bottle, pump it, NO formula. Also get some lanolin nipple cream. Hang in there mama, you CAN do this!!!!!
  • elismommy2011
    July 4, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    She's prob not latching on right for one for them to be that sore .. and I wouldn't think ull dry up but ill tell u this ull like the bottle better I made that mistake it makes it much easier I made it two months but u quit totally over a week ago .. if ur worried on drying up I'd try pumping it will hurt maybe but it won't be as bad as nursing baby sucks much harder then a pump get some cream to I forgot what its called but it starts with and l
  • Penguin311
    July 4, 2011 at 8:56 AM

You need to keep either Bfeeding or you need to pump, even though it hurts, you need to push through it because you need to make sure your milk comes in and you need to teach your little irl to latch on, my guess would be that the latch is the problem - if she's not latching right it can cause extreme soreness and pain. 

Good 'breastfeeding' latch and you can find videos, pictures and text describing it.  Also check out KellyMom.com - there are TONS of great resources here for breasfeeding.  

Get some Lanolin and put it on after each feeding.  Make sure you let your nipples AIR DRY so they get completly dry after each feeding/pumping.

I had sore nipples for a few weeks, and I know its painful, but if you have to push through it for your little girl - 24 hours is too long to go without any stimulation - especially so early!

Good luck!

• luvbeingmama
    July 4, 2011 at 8:56 AM

you really need to NOT give her formula and nurse nurse nurse.  Its very common to have sore nipples in the beginning.  Use some lanolin after feedings and it will help.  You will be dealing with engorgement if you dont feed for a day which could lead to plugged ducts and mastitis.  

• chocolat-smiles
    July 4, 2011 at 8:57 AM

bump

• TotallyConfused
    July 4, 2011 at 8:59 AM
    This!

Quoting jessnjosh87:

EVERY BOTTLE YOU GIVE HER HURTS YOUR BREASTFEEDING REALTIONSHIP. Let your nipples air dry after every nursing session, use Lanosil on them, cold/hot packs (whatever feels better), and KEEP NURSING. She is way too little too start bottles. THE FIRST TWO WEEKS ARE HELL. DONT GIVE UP.

• chocolat-smiles
    July 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM

thanks ladies i'm gonna try the pump and see how that goes

• Christina807
    July 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Quoting jessnjosh87:

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts