Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
gdiamante
HOW TO INCREASE SUPPLY
October 10, 2007 at 10:49 PM

ALL NONPRESCRIPTION REMEDIES LISTED HERE ARE AT YOUR LOCAL HEALTH FOOD STORE!!!!!

First and foremost, nurse! On demand, no matter how long, no matter how often. BABY is the best supply booster you can have.

Be sure you have a real suppply problem rather than a perceived one. Pumping only two ounces at a session is normal and isn't a supply problem. Changing fewer than six diapers per day DOES indicate a real supply problem.

If you're already nursing around the clock and pumping frequently and are still changing fewer than six diapers per day, then you can look at different techniques to increase your supply.

1. Water. 64 ounces daily.

2. Oatmeal. For some reason this can increase supply. Bowl a day.

If those two don't work, and you are not diabetic (gestational diabetes doesn't count), then you can add the following items from the health food store:

3. Fenugreek. Two capsules, three times a day. WARNING: Fenugreek is not recommended for people with diabetes, thyroid problems, or people on blood thinners. It can cause internal bleeding and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

4. Mother's Milk Tea. As directed on the box. WARNING: Contains fenugreek

5. More Milk Tincture. As directed.

6. Blessed Thistle (someone please add the dosage?)

If you're still not seeing improvement, then you can see about calling in the big guns. By prescription only:

7. Reglan

8. Domperidone.

Whatever you do, NURSING is the most important component of your plan. No galactagogue will be effective if you're not giving your body the stimulation it needs. So put baby to breast as much as possible.

Please feel free to add to this post!

IF YOU HAVE  A QUESTION PLEASE POST IT SEPARATELY SO IT DOESN"T GET MISSED!

Replies

• MsVirgo
    by MsVirgo
    October 10, 2007 at 11:36 PM
    You guys are life savers.... Thanks for the info!

Love, MsVirgo97

• Mrs.mommywhite3
    October 10, 2007 at 11:40 PM

Miscarriage survivor

• Momma.Wolfe
    October 10, 2007 at 11:42 PM
    The Fenugreek , at only two capsules total per day made me bruise really bad. Everyone was thinking that I was being beaten. No one can bruise that easily unless you are Anemic. It was because of the antiinflammatory properties in the herb. Just thought I'd let you all know.   You also have to stop taking it two weeks before any surgery, because of the risk of hemorrhaging. 
  • djss4
    by djss4
    October 10, 2007 at 11:46 PM
    Nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse, thats all i can say. it worked for me
  • fotomama3
    October 11, 2007 at 9:54 AM
    i tried mothers tea before but i hate tea so i never drank it. i was so glad when i found out about fenugreek. i took it 4x a day and the next day woke up huge. i have it here if i need it ever again but so far so good. i had no idea about oatmeal. i really appreciate you writing this though it will come in very handy to so many.
    thanks
  • mmh524
    by mmh524
    October 11, 2007 at 9:58 AM
    For those of you who don't like straight up oatmeal in a bowl, try oatmeal cookies.  Works great for me!
  • MomToSage
    October 11, 2007 at 10:04 AM
    Power pumping and marathon nursing always work for me.  I do 10 minutes on the pump 10 minutes off the pump for 1 hour twice daily when my supply gets really low.  It seems to really boost it.  Then, on the weekend, we'll stay at home and lounge around all day and I'll offer the breast every hour for most of the day.  Both of these have huge impacts.  I also like Oasis Prolactation tea the best.  It seems to work the best and it's available in a month supply over the internet.  More Milk Plus from Motherlove tastes nasty so I would recommend the pills.
  • MamaBear36
    October 11, 2007 at 12:27 PM
    I have a question about increasing my supply...what if my baby on will nurse on my left side, and not on my right? My right side has dwindled to nothingness, and now on top of losing my milk, I look HUGE on one side and small on the other.  It is destroying my self esteem.  I am not vain, but this is seriously noticeable. I want them back to normal.  HELP??
    Kelly
  • MomToSage
    October 11, 2007 at 12:38 PM

For awhile my son would only nurse on my left side and would refuse the right side.  I would always offer my right side first and always while laying down since this is my son's favorite position.  When I went to the LC they observed my nursing position and it ended up that I was holding him differently to nurse on the right side than the left.  He still won't take my right side if I offer it second.  Have you tried different positions to see if he'll nurse?  Also, have you tried nursing on that side before he gets really hungry and frustrated? 

• BrandonsMom723
    October 11, 2007 at 12:40 PM
    thanks for the info!

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN