Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
minimom11107
Thrush, Antibiotics and TMI
May 2, 2010 at 10:47 PM

So my son and I were both taking antibiotics. he ended his before me. I ended up getting a yeast infection (TMI I know) now I see a whitishness lol like thrush or really moist skin on the corners of his lips. He's also recently learned how to make a fish face and he does it constantly! so I'm wondering if anyone knows if since I'm breastfeeding and he is being exposed to so many antibiotics could they be causing him to get thrush? Is that even possible? Could I have not washed my hands well enough (I've been freaking out that I could spread my infection, I've never had one before)? Or could it just be from him having his lips sucked in like a fish? lol I'm calling the Dr tomorrow but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask.

Replies

• MyJordyLu
    May 2, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Antibiotics cause thrush.[It's just a yeast infection of the mouth]. Since they kill the good and bad bacteria, it's important to take a probiotic when taking an antibiotic. The probiotics will help keep the good bacteria in your body.

The same thing happened to me when I was nursing my middle child. I had strep throat, got put on an antibiotic, and we devloped thrush.

It's such a pain to get rid of when you're breastfeeding. [Have you noticed it on your nipples yet? It was really painful for me and almost caused me to stop nursing. She was 12 months when this happened, but still.]

• minimom11107
    May 2, 2010 at 11:08 PM

He's 9 months and I don't have it on my nipples... yet I don't even see it in his mouth yet. What do you do to treat thrush?

• gdiamante
    May 2, 2010 at 11:45 PM

BEST thrush cures on kellymom.com...they work better than anything the doc can give you.

• madfoot
    by madfoot
    May 3, 2010 at 12:46 PM

you didn't pass your yeast infection to him -- it's from the antiobiotics. Here is a link to KellyMom:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/thrush-resources.html

• Teresand3
    May 3, 2010 at 12:54 PM

My 2 month old has thrush currently. It's more commen in breatfed babies. It is on my sons tounge and inner cheeks. It doesn't take long to spread through the mouth, so if you have noticed it for a few days and it hasnt seem to spread if is probably just from the fishy faces:) If it is trush, it's not hard to take care of. The dr will prescribe some oral medication for your baby in the form of a sweet yellow liquid that you'll give him with a dropper. And because your breastfeeding and the trush can be passed from breast to baby and back again, you will get a cream to rub on your areolas. Good luck! Just call the doc;)

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts