Breastfeeding Moms

Featured Posts
litlpaff
Bleeding... in my milk
November 4, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Okay so I am ready to cry. I tried so hard with my dd to bf and after 3 weeks I had mastitis and the antibotics that my dr put me on he told me I could no bf... that was it I could do it no longer. So when I got pregnant a second time I was determined to bf for at least 6 months.... well here I am at 2 months and I have a yeast infection, my son has thrush, and my nipples are so cracked that they are bleeding.

Now I am thinking that I am going to have to give up again. My breast are actually bleeding bad enough that my ds is throwing up blood and that scared me. My Dr has me pumping for tonight so that she can see haw bad the blood is.... My problem is that when I pump, there is no blood, I only bleed when my son sucks. Do you think this is a latch on problem?

I want so bad to keep bf but it hurts so badly and he seems to not be getting enough. I hope I can find some help.... I don't want to give up but I have yet to have a feeding session that has not hurt me in some way.... except the very first one in the hospital.

I would go to a lactation consultant but there are hardly any in my area and the ones that are are still an hour away.

Replies

• Alishia05
    November 4, 2009 at 7:47 PM

I had that problem. My son's pedi told me to get a breast shield, so I did and we havn' t had problems since. He even learned to latch better on it.

• Bren07
    by Bren07
    November 4, 2009 at 7:53 PM

it sounds like it could b a latch problem on top of the thrush. i would try some nipple shields?.. 

• Amy614
    by Amy614
    November 4, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I just had this same problem a couple weeks ago, too!  Don't give up!

Get yourself a couple nipple shields.  They will protect your nipples while you BF, so that they can heal.  And they should work similarly as your pump, so that your LO isn't drinking the blood.  Get meds (for both of you) to treat the thursh, and make sure you have at least a couple nipple shields, and pacis (if your LO uses them), so you can sterilize them between uses.  Munchkin makes a sterilizer bag that can be  used in the microwave in about 2-3 minutes, they work great.  Wash all your bras in the hottest water possible, and then invest in some thin disposible breast pads, to protect the bras from reinfecting you.  Change them a couple times a day.  Things should start to get better very soon!

• Hotmomoften
    November 4, 2009 at 8:54 PM

exposing your breasts to sunlight will help them heal....acidolphulus will help the yeast problem too...yogurt with active cultures will help ...nipple care is really overlooked in most books and support groups for bf. dont put any soap on them dont rub them and walk around topless as much as possible or just leave flaps down on ya bf bra....air and sunlight....also make sure u break the babies suction b4 pulling of f  ya breast by inserting your finger in the corner of his mouth..get yourself well first and foremost then all will be okay...just dont stop nursing...im not sure how bad it is to bf even if he does get a little blood he is throwing it up anyway ..dont give up now u are on the home stretch!!I have seen many moms give up due to nipple pain right at the point when it gets better... I have nursed 7 babies and EVERYTIME I get sore nips and it hurts like a motha until about 8 weeks.I know there is some natural remedies for the thrush just cant think of them atm sorry... I hope this helps and my prayers r with u!

• gdiamante
    November 4, 2009 at 11:03 PM
    Quoting litlpaff:

Okay so I am ready to cry. I tried so hard with my dd to bf and after 3 weeks I had mastitis and the antibotics that my dr put me on he told me I could no bf... that was it I could do it no longer.

I hope you're not seeing this doc any more becausse you were told DEAD WRONG INFO.

So when I got pregnant a second time I was determined to bf for at least 6 months.... well here I am at 2 months and I have a yeast infection, my son has thrush, and my nipples are so cracked that they are bleeding.

OK. Treatments on kellymom.com. They work better than ANYTHING the doc will give you.

Now I am thinking that I am going to have to give up again. My breast are actually bleeding bad enough that my ds is throwing up blood and that scared me. My Dr has me pumping for tonight so that she can see haw bad the blood is.... My problem is that when I pump, there is no blood, I only bleed when my son sucks. Do you think this is a latch on problem?

Yes. It's a latch problem. And please, this doc is already knwon to screw you up. No more advice from him...one week of reading this board will teach you more than he knows!

Latch images on breastfeedingmadesimple.com.

The kellymom cures will clear the thrush in a trice. I personally like Lotrimin AF for mom...it'll clear the yeast and heal the cracks in a day or two. Wipe off before nursing.

I want so bad to keep bf but it hurts so badly and he seems to not be getting enough.

How are you judging this? ONLY DIPES MATTER. 6-8 per day. NOTHING ELSE COUNTS. NOTHING.

I hope I can find some help.... I don't want to give up but I have yet to have a feeding session that has not hurt me in some way.... except the very first one in the hospital.

It would be very unusual for you NOT to be in that position! So you can relax on that score.

I would go to a lactation consultant but there are hardly any in my area and the ones that are are still an hour away.

It's worth the hour drive, really.

Breastfeeding Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts