African American Mommies

hopealways4019
when you see a light skinned person
January 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Do you automatically assumed they mix? I'm talking about a light skinned black American. I read on another site that people assumed light skinned celebrities like rhianna and Beyonce can't be 100% black. My son is light skinned, my 6 yr old son refer to him as white. I can't say for sure? That some of their ancestors was white or mix. It really shouldn't matter, or be a conversation. I just thought they we're trying to imply that a person who is %100 black .. can't have light skin or beautiful traits. What do you think?

Replies

• mamadee1971
    January 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I've been questioned, a few times, about if my kid's father was white or Mexican, especially with my son.  But, kid's paternal side of the family, their great, great grand-mother was Irish, their great, great grand-father was black. So hence, why my kid's father has straight hair and fair-skinned.  Genetics is amazing, whether you like it or not, but anyways, I'm still tracing my maternal-side of my fam',although, there's hardly any kinship left on my mom's side, but I'm also trying to trace my paternal side, while my dad is still around.

• strongerwtime
    January 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I mean is anyone these days 100 percent anything?  Thats the way I look at it.

When I see a light skinned person..I don;t automatically assume byracial in the sense of black and white...

however, I do think someone might be native american lol

• KRYSTALK1013
    January 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I don't. One entire side of my family is super light skinned with wavy hair. They look biracial, but they aren't.

• mkfran
    by mkfran
    January 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM

It depends on how light they are.  I usually look at the hair to determine if they are mixed or not.  I think most people who are lighter than a pecan have some white somewhere down the line if they look far enough.  I've never been mistaken for being mixed but my granddaughter swears that I'm "white" lol! But both of my parents are black but I'm sure if I search my family tree, I'm sure there is some white mixed in there somewhere.

• wearymoon
    January 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I use to think like that until I made the god awful mistake of asking my dad if there were some "white" people in his family. After the look he gave me, I sort of developed an idc attitude and never assumed anything by a person's skin color. My dad is light skinned, freckles, nice hair and so are 5 out of his 9 sisters and brothers.

• Hottmomma607
    January 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    With my husband being from New Orleans and he is mixed with French, being lighter skinned everyone ASSUMED he was half white! He never dealt with what are mixed with? Until up here! And we've had white people see his mom and asked "Is she white"? Nope just her lineage! His papa(MIL dad) is French. All of his uncle have straight har. A couple of his aunts have straight hair. His grandma was brown like me.

I never assume or try guess what someone is? Especially here in this area! My oldest is by someone from H.S. he is full Puerto Rican and everyone was on that your son's dad is white? He so adorable! Nope! His bio-dad is PR looks like a light skinned black!

Quoting CocolateLady:

I live in seattle and there are LOTS of Africans here, they all have a certain look about them...even the light skinned. not to mention People also forget that there are white Africans too.

I have yet to come across a person who reveals they are mixed and I am surprised about it.....maybe because I see so many where I live, I can just tell...??? IDK. 

But I agree, we need to move on.....

Quoting grownsexy:

Quoting CocolateLady:

Unless I see that they have grey, blue, or green eyes..I think they are majority black. 

Most mixed people have certain kind of hair, again, not all, just Most that let on they are mixed. 

I have relatives with green eyes and gray eyes people just ask them are they real? I tend to disagree their are some people that I have met that if they did not say they were mixed I would have never guessed. Most American's are ignorant about African's. All of them are not dark and all don't have nappy hair. I would like to think that we could be past this.

Didn't she say something about beautiful as if to imply that everyone that is light skinned is beautiful. We have to get past this stuff. I feel sorry that even in this day and age the master's training still lives on. Let's move on people. In the age of contacts, weave, and bleach we can all play mixed, mixed up that is.

• CocolateLady
    January 22, 2013 at 10:56 AM

My little sister is very light compared to me and our other sisters, nearly pale in the winter...lol She is asked often if she is mixed because of her skin color mostly. or people think she is hispanic and black and she is not, just has the genes in her. Our ancestors trait coming through...ect.(people have joked that my mom was with the milk man, but the gap in her teeth is a dead giveaway she is my fathers daughters She is very light)

Thats why I don't go thinking all people who are light skinned are mixed (nice hair or not) 

if I see they do have very light eyes of what I mentioned down below, then I do stop to think (for a sec) are they mixed, but again, I understand as well, they could have gotten those eyes from 7 generations ago, genetics are amazing how they work.

i didn't feel like explaining all that befor...LOL!!!

Quoting Hottmomma607:

With my husband being from New Orleans and he is mixed with French, being lighter skinned everyone ASSUMED he was half white! He never dealt with what are mixed with? Until up here! And we've had white people see his mom and asked "Is she white"? Nope just her lineage! His papa(MIL dad) is French. All of his uncle have straight har. A couple of his aunts have straight hair. His grandma was brown like me.

I never assume or try guess what someone is? Especially here in this area! My oldest is by someone from H.S. he is full Puerto Rican and everyone was on that your son's dad is white? He so adorable! Nope! His bio-dad is PR looks like a light skinned black!

Quoting CocolateLady:

I live in seattle and there are LOTS of Africans here, they all have a certain look about them...even the light skinned. not to mention People also forget that there are white Africans too.

I have yet to come across a person who reveals they are mixed and I am surprised about it.....maybe because I see so many where I live, I can just tell...??? IDK. 

But I agree, we need to move on.....

Quoting grownsexy:

Quoting CocolateLady:

Unless I see that they have grey, blue, or green eyes..I think they are majority black. 

Most mixed people have certain kind of hair, again, not all, just Most that let on they are mixed. 

I have relatives with green eyes and gray eyes people just ask them are they real? I tend to disagree their are some people that I have met that if they did not say they were mixed I would have never guessed. Most American's are ignorant about African's. All of them are not dark and all don't have nappy hair. I would like to think that we could be past this.

Didn't she say something about beautiful as if to imply that everyone that is light skinned is beautiful. We have to get past this stuff. I feel sorry that even in this day and age the master's training still lives on. Let's move on people. In the age of contacts, weave, and bleach we can all play mixed, mixed up that is.

• JalensMommy2012
    January 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    I guess I'm a weirdo because when I see lightskin people (or dark etc) I don't assume anything about their heritage. I just see people truthfully speaking..... Now I have a question
  • JalensMommy2012
    January 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    I guess I'm a weirdo because when I see lightskin people (or dark etc) I don't assume anything about their heritage. I just see people truthfully speaking...
  • JalensMommy2012
    January 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
    I guess I'm a weirdo because when I see lightskin people (or dark etc) I don't assume anything about their heritage. I just see people truthfully speaking...

African American Mommies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN