African American Mommies

hopealways4019
when you see a light skinned person
January 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Do you automatically assumed they mix? I'm talking about a light skinned black American. I read on another site that people assumed light skinned celebrities like rhianna and Beyonce can't be 100% black. My son is light skinned, my 6 yr old son refer to him as white. I can't say for sure? That some of their ancestors was white or mix. It really shouldn't matter, or be a conversation. I just thought they we're trying to imply that a person who is %100 black .. can't have light skin or beautiful traits. What do you think?

Replies

• ayacocca
    January 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    Or beautiful traits?.... such as..
  • krisdev67
    January 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Well, in all honesty I think that Dana hit the nail on the head in one of her other posts when she talked about most AA's having caucasian blood in them from mastah.  While some may have it directly from with a parent or grandparent most of us do have caucasian blood in us somewhere down the line.  No, I don't always look at a light skinned AA person and wonder if they have any caucasian blood in them.  However, I do the reverse a lot when I see "caucasian's" that look like they have "something" in them I wonder to myself what could it be.  Case in point, this lady comes into the ER today and she has curly hair, blue eyes but she has like an olive skin tone.  So my first thought was, hmmmm I wonder what she has in her family, spanish, puerto rican, italian what?  I do that a lot.

Although when we look at Africa most of them are dark skinned there are some lighter ones in different regions.  We all need to remember that.

• Pooobaihr
    January 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM

No one in america that is black, is 100% anything. Now there may be some that have more of the black gene than others, but that doesnt mean they'll be dark. I have a friend that is 100% nigerian. You'd never know it cause she's not extremely dark skinned.

• moosesmom
    *shrug* I don't think anything. I just don't pay attention like that to anyone's skin color.

• Pooobaihr

but, i have people that say that I can't be full black. I'm not, but they just base this on my skintone.

• krisdev67
    January 20, 2013 at 11:01 AM

This is  Liya Kebede and she's from Ethiopia.  She was on Oprah a few years ago and Oprah was telling her how beautiful she was and how flawless her skin was etc.  She told Oprah that MOST of the people from Ethiopia (I'm no sure if it were a certain area etc) looked like her and she'd seen people there that were even more beautiful than her.  I think she was trying to get the message out.  Not everyone in Africa are "tar babies" with nappy hair from the bush.

• Babujai
    by Babujai
    January 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    I was stalked in college by a chick who desperately wanted me to join her student group. When I finally sat down to talk to her about it she explained that it was a group for biracial students. I told her I wasn't biracial and she looked at me like I was lying. She questioned my racial heritage going back three generations...LOL! After that, she didn't have anything to say to me for the next 3 years.
  • CocolateLady
    January 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Unless I see that they have grey, blue, or green eyes..I think they are majority black. 

Most mixed people have certain kind of hair, again, not all, just Most that let on they are mixed. 

• SunFlower700
    January 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I don't assume that every light skinned black person is mixed.  Nor do I assume that every extremely fair skinned, blond haired / naturally straight haired, blue eyed person is not mixed.  Genetics is an interesting thing.

• tanishagreene
    January 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

idc

African American Mommies