African American Mommies

SunFlower700
Do you think two people of different religions can make a marriage work?
January 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Do you think two people of different religions can make a marriage work?
Do you think if they can make it work, that if there are children involved, they can still make it work?

Replies

• mrsary
    by mrsary
    January 1, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    No children yet. She's secretly hoping to convert him. Lol.

Quoting SunFlower700:

If you don't mind me asking.  Do they have children and if so have they decided to let the children decide when they are old enough or do they have another arrangement?

Quoting mrsary:

Yes! My sister is Methodist & her husband is Sunni Muslim!

• Ronique1989
    January 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    I'm baptist and my husband is catholic. We take our kids to both churches so that they'll have a choice and we're doing just fine.
  • .Peaches.
    January 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I wouldn't even go down that road. For Christians, its a big no-no to be in a marriage with someone who is unequally yoked. Now, that's not to say you can't win a spouse to Christ, because its been done many times, but for the majority, it doesn't happen that way.

Most people are either in Christ together, or they find Him later in life together.

• rayroe2
    by rayroe2
    January 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM

no.
    no.

• SunFlower700
    January 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM

What if they are of different religions that have totally different beliefs (are christians)?  Both believe in Christ, just do not share the same religious views.  Do you think a marriage like that can work out?  You only gave your opinion of someone who is of a christian faith and their SO is an athiest.

Quoting .Peaches.:

I wouldn't even go down that road. For Christians, its a big no-no to be in a marriage with someone who is unequally yoked. Now, that's not to say you can't win a spouse to Christ, because its been done many times, but for the majority, it doesn't happen that way.

Most people are either in Christ together, or they find Him later in life together.

• coupon_ash_back
    January 1, 2013 at 11:02 PM
    Yes. It happens more than you would think. It's no different than asking about people of different races.
  • SunFlower700
    January 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I know it happens more often, but do a lot of those marriages really work.  Like I mentioned in another post about marriage.  A lot of people are in love with the idea of getting married and are in a rush to  to make it as quickly as possible to the altar, that they don't take the time to really get to know the person they are marrying.  Therefore a large portion of the reason why a  lot of today's marriages don't last more than a few years. 

Marrying someone of a different race can be challenging.  But IMPO not as challenging as a couple who have different religious beliefs.  A couple who are of the same religion but different race have a higher chance of making their marriage work, than a couple of the same race but one is Jewish and the other is Mormon.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Yes. It happens more than you would think. It's no different than asking about people of different races.

• BeautifulMomof1
    January 1, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    I think it can work if there is mutual respect for each others beliefs but can become challenging once you have children . .
  • lilblu399
    January 1, 2013 at 11:44 PM
    My husband and I are both Christian but have 2 different set of beliefs. It works out well, we can agree to disagree. The only issue so far with our children is DS wanting to be an acolyte, DH says no(due to the Catholic based scandals, but my church is Episcopal) but we are talking about it and it'll still be a few years before he can actually join since he's 5.
  • Babujai
    by Babujai
    January 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM
    If they both regard religion as a personal thing, yes they can make a marriage work. However, if religion is a family affair it will cause issues. I have a friend right now that's having difficulty with his relationship because it's really important to him that they attend church as a family but they can't agree on a church.

African American Mommies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN