African American Mommies

hopealways4019
Do you know your father's name?
November 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I called the social security office this morning, to get some information about my daughter' s benefits. For security reasons, he asked me my father's name? Ok. Problem is i never met my dad. But i did remember my mom saying,his name. I told the man this, we laughed, thats a new question social security ask, because of identity theft. My son overheard my conversation... his reply was why would they ask a black person their dad's name? Most black people dont know their father's name!. I had to correct him. Dont sterotype, thats not always true! Deadbeat dads come from all races. Contrary to what my son believe. There are some good black men, that love and take care of their children.
I told my son i hope he one of those good black men. Too add to his thinking, is because his dad abandon him when he was 3, he 19 now. Hopefully he wont repeat this behavior. Was your father around growing up?

Replies

• Krystle21
    November 17, 2012 at 12:08 PM
    Yes, my parents are still together going on 30 years
  • sweetiepie81
    November 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM
    Yep! My father has been around my entire life. Even if a man is a deadbeat imo the child should still know said deadbeats name, unless mom doesn't know who fathered her child.
  • Mbpeaceful12
    November 17, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Yes, I know my father's name; Melvin Lee. Before he died in 2008, he and my mother were married for thirty-eight years. I was their only child; after miscarriages, I popped up a week after my mother's thirty-eighth birthday, while my father was forty-four. We had a rocky relationship and it was not until after he passed away that I figured out why; I was (and am) just like him.

• motherlove220
    November 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    Yes my father was present in my life until he died 22 years ago.
  • robynjavan7104
    November 18, 2012 at 5:13 AM
    I know my fathers name but he wasn't involved in my life. I seen him a couple of times when my mother would go out with him but he wanted nothing to do with me.
  • liquidvelvet
    November 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Yes my dad was there and still is. Him and mum will be married for 46 years as of tomorrow.

• MrsFavors
    November 18, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I know my dad's name although he didn't help raise me we have a relationship now. I am 31. It's sad to say but when I meet a black person that was actually raised by two biological parents I am in aw. He's not stereotyping just counting I think.

• 2boys9yrsapart
    November 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM
    My parents divorced when I was 13 my dad hadhas been 'around' but whatever woman he was banging always (and still does) took precedence over my sisters and I.
  • char19
    by char19
    November 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Yes my father raised me a single father because my mom left us...He was an amazing man and I will forever be grateful for my father I was the only girl with 2 brothers ...Yes fathers do stay around ...He didn't remarry until we were grown....Always love him Charles E. Clark Sr R.I.P  ...Strong Black Man

African American Mommies

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts