Assistance Mama's (FS, WIC, & Medicaid)

complextrina
Things that can be purchased with food stamps..if you dont already know...
December 17, 2008 at 10:40 PM

Okay, this is a preliminary list, for my home state of FLORIDA, so I dont know if there are exceptional items in your state. This is based off my experience at both walmart and Publix. I know there are some moms who wonder if they can buy this or that, so list it here along with your state to let moms know of those "certain other items" and they wont have to wonder or feel embarassed to find out its not covered...

I have found that I can buy the following foods (add to the list any other foods YOU can buy and where you live)

Prepared sushi trays (we have a sushi counter at our supermarket, Publix)

Bakery custom cakes (not too sure if only a specific size though)

Deli cold foods (I must admit I have yet to test out the "sub" issue...)

For those of you who would say because I choose to buy those things I am abusing my food stamps, I reserve the right to eat anything I choose just as anyone else does...and if it's that big of an issue, then why are YOU in this group? ADD TO THE LIST!

Replies

• workerbee116
    July 29, 2013 at 7:05 PM

i buy potted herbs at publix (in fl.) they are allowed. I use them in my cooking.

• workerbee116
    July 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Hi, I wanted to add that Pappa Murphy's pizza also takes EBT. This is because you take the pizza. cookies, etc...home to bake but it is freshly prepared and super yummy pizza. Great for b-day party events. Kids can even go in and make thier own mini pizza and take home and bake!

• Whatsright
    December 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    Wow seafood and steaks? McDonalds and pizza? I'm shocked that In my poor years I have went without all of those items. I fed my children healthy home cooked foods and baked cakes from box.

Now I work in a supermarket and it's amazing the luxuries I see people purchase with the taxpayers funding. Seafood, steaks ad elaborate wedding cakes. Unbelievable and very irresponsible. I usedfood stamps for common staples- rice, beans, cheap cuts of meats and vegetables, milk, eggs and other dairy. Soda and sushi? Unbelievable.
  • Jess_Lee
    January 15 at 8:36 AM
    In Georgia and in Texas, you can buy anything that can be consumed with the exception of alcohol tobacco and hot food. Hot food bring what's already prepared at the store like the deli at walmart has chicken and stuff , can't buy that unless it was cooled and refrigerated to heat at home. And can only buy food items from the store. No energy drinks of any kind (at least not the stores I've been to, even though I don't drink them). I've never heard of using them at subway, don't tell my son, he loves that place. Lol
  • MissFoxyMaven
    February 25 at 5:33 PM
    I'm a married mother of three who's husband has worked very hard for the past 20 years. He recently lost his job and it's been hard to make ends meet. We're living off of minimal savings and hoping we don't have to cash out our small retirement plan to survive. We have been accepted into the EBT program and I plan on purchasing the same food items I would normally purchase for my family. I'm kind of ashamed to say, I'm a little embarrassed to be using public assistance but that's what it's there for and for all of the money we have paid in to help people in need and those who abuse the system, I refuse to feel guilty for buying a steak or a piece of fish!! No, we aren't gonna go overboard and I try to feed my family healthy foods and not junk. We don't do soda or chips but like someone said earlier, my healthy food probably cost more than the junk. Please, don't knock what others choose to buy just because you've never been in this situation. I know some people abuse it but we genuinely need it at this time and will discontinue as soon as we are back on our feet ... Hopefully very soon. But until then, I plan to use it to my benefit and don't need to be shamed for buying anything I choose.

Quoting Whatsright: Wow seafood and steaks? McDonalds and pizza? I'm shocked that In my poor years I have went without all of those items. I fed my children healthy home cooked foods and baked cakes from box.

Now I work in a supermarket and it's amazing the luxuries I see people purchase with the taxpayers funding. Seafood, steaks ad elaborate wedding cakes. Unbelievable and very irresponsible. I usedfood stamps for common staples- rice, beans, cheap cuts of meats and vegetables, milk, eggs and other dairy. Soda and sushi? Unbelievable.
  • MissFoxyMaven
    February 25 at 5:36 PM
    I understand that some folks a use the system and if you are on EBT, as I negligibly failed to see, I am not trying to knock you for a fair opinion but I certainly don't want to be judged by what I choose to purchase for my family.
  • acorey2
    by acorey2
    April 2 at 12:54 PM

A couple people said that FS can't be used for energy drinks... the federal site (USDA) says,  may energy drinks with nutritional labels are eligible. Drinks with supplemental labels are not eligible. 

• jess_me82
    May 4 at 8:37 AM
    In Michigan we can purchase seafood, steak, deli meat, deli cheeses, seeds for for herbs, spices, veggies, etc. Nothing hot though. But if you buy the prepared chicken that's cold and toss it in the oven for a few minutes it's just like hot from walmart. You can't buy they layered cakes they have at walmart. My sister tried and it wasnt allowed. I didn't know about the sushi but I will see tomorrow.

For those getting upset because we choose to buy steaks, shrimp, crab legs or whatever with ebt, stop it. Most of us work and pay taxes too. And some of us pay more in cash than we do in fs. Show some empathy and stop being so mean spirited.

Assistance Mama's (FS, WIC, & Medicaid)

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts