Young Moms

LadyMinni
Baby Names: What & Why
January 31, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I love etymology and names fascinate me. I was named for the Goddess of Wisdom (Minerva) and I love my name, so I really just have a thing for them. It's a little strange.

So what have you named your children, why did you pick that, and what do the names mean (if you know)? Also, if you want to know what a name means, ask and I can probably tell you.

So I'll start I guess. My son is James Dimitri Devon and my daughter is Fiona Isobel Octavia Natalie Alexandra.

James is my partner's name and it is actually also my favorite male name. It means "supplanter" and is the Christian variant of the Jewish name Jacob. Dimitri is the Russian version of Demetrius, the masculine Demeter, Goddess of the Harvest. Originally James Sr.  wanted to use the Dmitriy spelling, but I couldn't remember it. Plus Dimitri Belikov.... <3 He's why I wanted the name Dimitri in there. Devon, through a very long line of translation, means "descendent of Damhan." A good friend of mine is named Devin. 

Fiona's name is so much fun. Look at the first letter of all of her names.. F-I-O-N-A! Fiona is the heroine of a book I have been working on. Fiona means "fair" or "white." Isobel was my great-great grandmother, it is the Scottish form of Isabel. Octavia means "eighth." Natalie was James Sr.'s grandmother, it means "Christmas Day." Alexandra is my middle name and Alexander if James Sr.'s, it means "defending men" or "the defender of men."

Replies

• BlondeMommy18
    March 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My first daughter's name is Aria Faith. Aria means pure or melodious. We picked it because we loved the way it sounded. I always looked up every name we considered, because it was important to me that they had a solid meaning. Her middle name Faith is after my step-mom. 

My son's name is Noah James. Noah means peaceful. I have always loved the name and SO loved it too. So Noah he was! James is SO's dad's name.

My second daughter's name is Jaelynn Paige. Jaelynn means bird of light. We really didn't pick her name because of the meaning. We picked it because it fit her. We had two names picked out, Jaelynn and Jayla (means happy), and we decided to pick her name after seeing her. When she was born we immediately agreed she looked like a Jaelynn. Paige, we just though flowed nicely with her first name.

• emilyelephant
    March 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM

My daughter's name is Ria (river) Chantelle (singer). We just liked Ria because it's different but not weird, and Chantelle is my mom's middle name. If the next is a girl she will be Ayla (oak tree, I think?) Elise. I just like the name Ayla and Elise is a version of SO's mom's name Lisa. If it's a boy his middle name will be Joesph (hoping to convince SO to let him have 2 middle names to honor my dad and be "First name" Joesph Marcus) but not sure about a first name.

• xXVICKYXx
    March 19, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    My sons name is dayde vincent. Dayde means son of David. My grandfathers name was David. He passed away a couple months before I got pregnant. It also means dark one wich is fitting because that boy is way darker than his dad and expected to get even darker. Vincent has basicly the same meaning as my name. Wich is Victoria wich means one who is victorious. I'm not going to lie. His middle name was picked because it is so close to my name and sounded better than victor.

Young Moms