Young Moms

Featured Posts
LadyMinni
Baby Names: What & Why
January 31, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I love etymology and names fascinate me. I was named for the Goddess of Wisdom (Minerva) and I love my name, so I really just have a thing for them. It's a little strange.

So what have you named your children, why did you pick that, and what do the names mean (if you know)? Also, if you want to know what a name means, ask and I can probably tell you.

So I'll start I guess. My son is James Dimitri Devon and my daughter is Fiona Isobel Octavia Natalie Alexandra.

James is my partner's name and it is actually also my favorite male name. It means "supplanter" and is the Christian variant of the Jewish name Jacob. Dimitri is the Russian version of Demetrius, the masculine Demeter, Goddess of the Harvest. Originally James Sr.  wanted to use the Dmitriy spelling, but I couldn't remember it. Plus Dimitri Belikov.... <3 He's why I wanted the name Dimitri in there. Devon, through a very long line of translation, means "descendent of Damhan." A good friend of mine is named Devin. 

Fiona's name is so much fun. Look at the first letter of all of her names.. F-I-O-N-A! Fiona is the heroine of a book I have been working on. Fiona means "fair" or "white." Isobel was my great-great grandmother, it is the Scottish form of Isabel. Octavia means "eighth." Natalie was James Sr.'s grandmother, it means "Christmas Day." Alexandra is my middle name and Alexander if James Sr.'s, it means "defending men" or "the defender of men."

Replies

• mylovelylife
    February 1, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    I was thinking something like this but I was just to lazy to look it up thanks:)

Quoting MrsBridges19:

In geology and earth science, a plateau also called a high plain or tableland, is an area of highland, usually consisting of relatively flat terrain.

Quoting mylovelylife:

My sons name is Noah Matthew. Noah means rest; comfort and Matthew gift of God. I just fell in lobe with Noah I dont really hear it I hear Matthew often but the meaning was too beautiful to pass up. Im pregnant with #2 if the baby is a girl her name will be Savannah Aubrey. Savannah means plateau I dont even know what that means lol and Aubrey means queen of elfs. Now we chose this name because of the daddy he loves the name Savannah and I love Aubrey. We might spell it Aubree and if the baby is boy his name will be Josiah Cloise. Josiah means the lord saves and Cloise has no meaning we are naming him Cloise because he was my SO cousin he got murdered outside a bar and he was very close to him.

• tre412
    by tre412
    February 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    I'm expecting a little girl in April and im pretty set on naming her Aubree Nicole. Aubree means elf leader or something like that and Nicole means victory of the people (according to google). The second name on my list is Josie, I never looked up the meaning though.
  • meg0620
    by meg0620
    February 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM
    My son's name is Cruz Jose.
    Cruz is "cross" in Spanish and I have no idea what Jose means but it's my SO's great grandpa that died.
  • proudmama11212
    February 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    I love dimitri(from vampire academy) my sons name is bryan anothony hubby chose bryan cause he liked and i chose anthony cause its the english version of my dads middle name antonio and i would like to know what they mean please!!
  • LadyMinni
    March 18, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I was so hoping someone would know who he was! He's one of my favorite book characters. I wanted "Aragorn" in there, but my man said no! Meanie.

Bryan means either "hill" or "noble" in Celtic, no one is sure. Anthony is much harder. It's Etruscan, which isn't a language we know much about. It is often associated with "anthos" which means flower, but this has been deemed incorrect. I honestly don't know what it means. I like the name though!

Quoting proudmama11212:

I love dimitri(from vampire academy) my sons name is bryan anothony hubby chose bryan cause he liked and i chose anthony cause its the english version of my dads middle name antonio and i would like to know what they mean please!!

• Momma.x3
    March 18, 2013 at 1:23 AM
    Im naming my third baby (second girl) Mercy.

Quoting raechelking92:

I /LOVE/ these posts! DF & I have a list of 4 names we like, I picked the girls names and he picked the boys names. I haven't had time to look up what the names mean but I love them anyways :P 

For girls names I love :

Bethany Lilly

&

Mercy Delilah

For boys names DF loves:

Timothy Drake

&

Kyle Rayner

(I just know that both of the names he likes are comic book referances since he's a /HUGE/ comic book fan, one name is from Batman & the other is from Green Lantern..)

• Momma.x3
    March 18, 2013 at 1:26 AM
    My husband and I have two babies, a lost baby, and another due July 2013.
    Braxton Thomas Lynn (our first)
    Acelyn Serenity Raye (our second)
    Cadence Wade (our lost twin)
    Mercy Aaliyah (Due July 2013)
    I just love Braxton, fell in love with it the moment I heard it.
    Thomas was my grandfathers middle name, always swore to him id name my first son after him.
    Lynn is my last name before I was adopted. Also my husbands middle name.
    Acelyn just found it one day and knew it was perfect.
    Serenity, husband loved it.
    Raye, my middle name which I got from a family member.
    Cadence, It just felt right so to speak.
    Wade, my god daughters middle name who was killed.
    Mercy, found it loved the meaning and fell in love.
    Aaliyah, honestly it just sounded good and was pretty.
  • JCmoma08
    March 18, 2013 at 6:17 AM
    i have two boys James Crystopher and Teagan Levon. James because its tradition in my family on both sides the first born boy is named james and i ended up with the first boy. plus it was supose to be my name but the docs were wrong about my sex. crystopher after my cousin christopher but spelled like my frist name crystalyn. Teagan is actually a girl name but the boy spelling of teague i didnt like it said the meaning was atractive and my little man is. Then levon after my cousin amber rachelle levon. It means lion so basically my youngest sons name means attractive lion.
  • Nightowl789
    March 18, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    My son was supposed to be Garrett Michael my fiancée now my ex fiancee wanted to name him Roger Thomas but if it was a girl she would have been Claire Elizabeth after my grandmother
  • proudmama11212
    March 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    Ha yeah he whoops ass!! If i have another boy i might name him dimitri lol and i think ur man should let you XD

Quoting LadyMinni:

I was so hoping someone would know who he was! He's one of my favorite book characters. I wanted "Aragorn" in there, but my man said no! Meanie.

Bryan means either "hill" or "noble" in Celtic, no one is sure. Anthony is much harder. It's Etruscan, which isn't a language we know much about. It is often associated with "anthos" which means flower, but this has been deemed incorrect. I honestly don't know what it means. I like the name though!

Quoting proudmama11212:

Young Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts