TTC - Trying to Conceive

Featured Posts
charm2mama
when is HSG needed?
November 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM

At what point does your doctor want to do a HSG test? Is this something I should be asking for before considering IUI (or is it done anyway?)

Replies

• jenniferw10
    November 19, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    I had an a HSG prior to discussing an IUI. The HSG increases your fertility by 25% for three months.
  • charm2mama
    November 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Why just 3 months? Can your tubes get blocked that quickly?

Quoting jenniferw10:

I had an a HSG prior to discussing an IUI. The HSG increases your fertility by 25% for three months.

• jenniferw10
    November 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM
    The HSG test is to see if your tubes are blocked to begin with. After the test it increases for three months by 25% because it "cleans you out" which is something helpful. I got pregnant the month I had my HSG.
  • charm2mama
    November 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I see, so the test not only checks to see if there is blockage, but the dye actually unblocks it too. That's good to know. Thank you!

Quoting jenniferw10:

The HSG test is to see if your tubes are blocked to begin with. After the test it increases for three months by 25% because it "cleans you out" which is something helpful. I got pregnant the month I had my HSG.

• sloppyjo82
    November 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Usually they want to do the Hsg before IUI to make sure that your tubes are open, because if they aren't the IUI and the money spent would be pointless.

• charm2mama
    November 19, 2012 at 11:49 PM

was reading my RE's instructions and it didn't mention hsg. So if/when I do get it done, I should ask for one then, right?

Quoting sloppyjo82:

Usually they want to do the Hsg before IUI to make sure that your tubes are open, because if they aren't the IUI and the money spent would be pointless.

• sloppyjo82
    November 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Quoting charm2mama:

was reading my RE's instructions and it didn't mention hsg. So if/when I do get it done, I should ask for one then, right?

Quoting sloppyjo82:

I would def. mention, every situation is different. Even with IUI the sperm have to swim through the tubes to get there. It just makes more sense to make sure they're open before making all these attempts on IUI, just to find out that your tubes are blocked. I have endometriosis tho.

TTC - Trying to Conceive

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts