TTC - Trying to Conceive

Featured Posts
NoraDun
Contractions 5 min apart but no pain??
by NoraDun
November 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM

So I am supposed to be a birthing assistant for a friend. I consider myself pretty educated about pregnancy and delivery. But she has me baffled right now LOL. She is having contractions 5 min apt, she can tell by her stomach tightning, pressure, and a slight back ache. But she has no pain at all. She was 3 cm dilated as of 3am when she went to the hospital because she was leaking what she thought was amniotic fluid. They said her water is buldged but not leaking. So any thoughts?? Do you think she can be in active labor without being in pain. Or is it a rare false labor with regular contractions?

Replies

• NoraDun
    by NoraDun
    November 18, 2012 at 1:44 PM

This was it exactly. She was in labor and it was dilating her ever so slowly. By 1 am she was having pains when she called me she was 4 1/2 cm. We left for the hospital on her request at 5:30am She didn't deliver until 10:50pm and that was after a very invasive labor.

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Sounds like prodromal labor...........it isn't considered active but isnt really false either, its sorta that in the middle because it can VERY slowly make you dialate so it isn't really unprogressive but we are talking 1cm over a few days type progression. The more children you've had the longer it can last, MOST women dont notice it with a 1st if they have it at all.

I had promdromal labor for the majority of 6 wks with Dd, badly for the last 5-6 days before having her, they were incredibly tight & caused me lots of pressure but didn't really hurt.........they did however get me to 4.5cm before ACTIVE labor started so then my labor was super quick & all the practice made my uterus super strong my OB said because my contractions were abnormally strong & barely let up at all!

• -Mommy-2-Three-
    November 18, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Invasive??? :( 

Quoting NoraDun:

This was it exactly. She was in labor and it was dilating her ever so slowly. By 1 am she was having pains when she called me she was 4 1/2 cm. We left for the hospital on her request at 5:30am She didn't deliver until 10:50pm and that was after a very invasive labor.

Quoting -Mommy-2-Three-:

Sounds like prodromal labor...........it isn't considered active but isnt really false either, its sorta that in the middle because it can VERY slowly make you dialate so it isn't really unprogressive but we are talking 1cm over a few days type progression. The more children you've had the longer it can last, MOST women dont notice it with a 1st if they have it at all.

I had promdromal labor for the majority of 6 wks with Dd, badly for the last 5-6 days before having her, they were incredibly tight & caused me lots of pressure but didn't really hurt.........they did however get me to 4.5cm before ACTIVE labor started so then my labor was super quick & all the practice made my uterus super strong my OB said because my contractions were abnormally strong & barely let up at all!

• candicefield
    November 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM
    I wouldn't ever recommend going to the hospital until you are in so much pain that you can't stand it anymore. Very few women experience no pain with labor. The worst thing that happens is that you deliver at home but so what? I see she already had the baby so it's too late. Some women go on for weeks with contractions like that.
  • steph.sublette
    November 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Some women do not feel pain during labor, some lucky mamma's even have orgasms.

TTC - Trying to Conceive

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts