♥L-AMP: Loving Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting♥

Imamom4sure
Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking by Tamar E. Chansky
September 23, 2011 at 10:38 PM

I just ordered the book (namely because I am very interested in everything that increases my children's resilency in life, since I have some extended family members and sometimes myself that has trouble in this area)

anyone read the book? or want to read it with me:

Replies

• Imamom4sure
    September 23, 2011 at 11:42 PM

I even started a book club for this book at facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/207413079325545/

• MidnightRambler
    September 23, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I'd love to read it but I'm still working on the Alfie Kohn one. Maybe I'll see what other people say about it first since my local library doesn't have it and I'd have to buy it. It sounds like something I need myself so that I don't pass on negativity to the kids in the first place! Please, everybody who reads this pass on your opinions!

• Imamom4sure
    September 24, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Lisa, I hear you! btw, I just read the reviews about this book and got extremely excited, can't wait to discuss, and learn, because I too want to be more resilent myself

• Imamom4sure
    September 24, 2011 at 12:23 AM

these are the reviews that sold me:

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book - I can't recommend this enough, January 27, 2009
    This review is from: Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility, and Happiness (Paperback)

I am just about finished with this and can't wait to put in a good word, because it is full of such fantastic advice, much of which isn't stuff that would come to a parent intuitively. I've already put some of the suggestions to use with great results. It's written in a very clear and straightforward way, easy to understand, and with great examples and scripts that help you take the step from understanding the concepts (ie help child make problem smaller and specific rather than blow it up) to practice.
    Thank you Tamar Chansky!

Help other customers find the most helpful reviews 
    Was this review helpful to you? Yes No  

21 of 22 people found the following review helpful:
    5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best book for parents on the subject!!, December 25, 2008
    Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
    This review is from: Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility, and Happiness (Paperback)

As a child psychologist, this is the book I wish I had written. It is an absolutely essential book for parents who have children of any age. Dr. Chansky has a gift of explaining information in a way that is understandable and does not demean parents. She gives you a starting place with real strategies that work. I will be buying many copies to offer to parents. Although I have bought several hundred parenting books, this is the first time I felt compelled to write a review. No need to hesitate, just buy this book.

• LindaClement
    September 24, 2011 at 12:37 AM

I haven't... sounds interesting. I'd love to read your review of it!

• Imamom4sure
    September 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM

sometime I start sharing even before I finish the book

• marjparj
    September 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM

I just ordered it from ABE books :)  We are all dealing with so much negativity in our lives right now I think this could benefit all of us but especially my oldest son...who tends to focus on the negative.  I'll let you know when it comes in :)

• Imamom4sure
    September 24, 2011 at 9:16 PM

i don't know if my kids are particularly negative, I think they are average, but I think avergage is too negative, especially when so much of the population is dealing with depression or anger or anxiety of some sort (plus those issues run in the adults of my blood line, and I'm vulnerable to these things as well) so even though as kids its not too much, I still hope to give skills for adulthood.

• SlapItHigh
    September 24, 2011 at 9:47 PM

I want to read it with you!!!!  I have noticed that my oldest tends towards negative thinking at times and I believe it's something that he's following from my examples, unfortunately.  And I have followed from my own mother's example.  I would like to break this cycle.  Ordering now the book now...

• Imamom4sure
    September 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM

this is going to be exciting to have others discuss this, and learn how to empower our children. 

I know that when my daughter has one of those melt downs, obviously she is struggling with negativity.

lately I have been having difficulties and hope this will help me function better as well.

♥L-AMP: Loving Alternatives to Mainstream Parenting♥

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts