20 Something Moms

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Are you comfortable with the age you were when you lost your virginity?
October 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Rosario Dawson's Confession About Her Virginity Is Actually Totally Inspiring

by Jenny Erikson

Rosario Dawson is jaw-droppingly sexy, and an amazingly talented actress. And she recently admitted to the fact that she was 20 before she did the deed! Ok, I know 20 isn’t that old for a lot of people, but considering the fact that she was 15 when she was cast in the controversial movie Kids, it’s pretty cool.

There’s a cliché about child stars and promiscuity, and there’s a good reason for that. You take that stereotype and layer it on top of what kind of character Dawson played in her breakout part … it’s even more admirable that she waited to cash in her V-card.

Kids was one of those movies that sparked a lot of debate because it was about young teenagers doing drugs and having unprotected sex -- one of them being knowingly HIV-positive and doing it anyway! Dawson played a provocative and promiscuous girl, and she shares a funny anecdote about what her parents were really worried about:

"With all the insanity that my character goes through, the only thing they cared about was not smoking.”

But the coolest thing that she said about the role was that it was the total opposite from her real life, and that she didn’t even lose her virginity until she was 20. What made her hold onto it? Respect for what her mom went through as a teen mom.

"I didn't even have sex until I was 20," Dawson said about the differences between Ruby and herself. "My mom was a teenage mom, I was deathly afraid of being a teenage mom.”

Awww! What a way to recognize and acknowledge the trials that her mom faced as a super young mother. It can’t be easy being a teen mom, and I think this shows that Rosario had a healthy respect for what her mom went through.

Plus it goes to show that you don’t have to have sex at a young age to end up as one of Hollywood’s hottest stars.

Are you comfortable with the age you were when you ... you know?

Replies

• goddiddlyumshis
    October 4, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    Yup. I was a little older than Rosario Dawson :)
  • mama2b100808
    October 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM

No I was 15 and I should have waited. but I made that chose when I was young and had no one to talk me out of it.

• Cafe Steph
    October 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I'm very comfortable with mine. Like Rosario, I was a child of a teen mom and terrified of becoming one myself (especially since both of my grandmothers were teen moms, too), so I didn't have sex until I was 21, living on my own, working a full-time job, and had some college under my belt. I figured that way, if my birth control failed while I was single, I'd be in a better position to take care of my child.

• MamaBear2cubs
    October 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I was 20 also. Very happy I waited.

• LizzieAnnesMom
    October 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM
    Yup, i was 18 and it was with my husband (not married at the time)
  • k9l1c5
    by k9l1c5
    October 4, 2013 at 10:57 AM

No, I was 15 and wish I would have waited at least until me and DF got together.

We started dating when I was 17 and he was 15 (almost 16) and have been together for 5 years... I know he is the one for me now, so I do wish I wouldn't have done anything with any other boyfriends before him.

• Schaiswife09
    October 4, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    No not really. I was 18 but I wish I would have waited for my dh, who I met a little over a year later. Only been with two guys but I totally regret the first one
  • Courtney610
    October 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM
    I'm fine with it. Do I wish I would have waited until I was 18, and had met my husband? Sure. But I don't believe in regretting the past, especially since I love my life now.
  • AydensMommy1008
    October 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I was 19, and I think thats pretty good for this day and age, Im now 25 though and I wish I wouldve saved it for someone a bit more worthy than the shmuck I gave it too.

• RileysMommy2315
    October 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I was 22 when I lost my v-card to my DH.
    So, yes I am comfortable with it. :)

20 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts