20 Something Moms

Featured Posts
amberlavine
Would you take your 3 week old to a big family party?
June 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM
We just had our second child, she is now 2 weeks old. I haven't really gone anywhere with her yet except her doctors appointment. Last week there was an open house for a cousin on my dads side which I didn't attend because she was only a week old and I didn't feel comfortable taking her out. I really thought it would be understandable but apparently not my dad was upset. So there is another open house for another cousin (same side) next weekend. I'm not sure about going. Its been so hot out and she hasn't had any of her immunizations yet. There will be easily over 30 people there that want to hold her.

Am I wrong for not wanting to go? They make me feel as if I'm being super overprotective of her but shes not even a month old. I also feel like if they wanna see her they could just come visit us, but that never happened with my son and don't see it ever happening with her.

So what would you do?

Replies

• mama2b100808
    June 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Oh wow. Well they should understand why you don't want to go. I didn't go anywhere with my daughter unless I had to when she was that little. I didn't want her sick and I didn't want other kids and adults around her if they were sick. My inlaws still till this day stay away from her till they are back to being healthy again. 

I know I wouldn't be able to stop that when she goes to school but at least when she was younger everyone understood why I didn't take her out. I didn't even take her out for halloween or a bday party a month later. 

• AJ-47
    by AJ-47
    June 22, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    I wouldn't. Maybe a few months old..but a few weeks and all those people wanting to hold the baby? No way.
  • skylersmom44
    June 22, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I would but I wouldn't let anyone hold her. I would keep her with me at all times. I took my 3rd son to a Halloween party at my brother's when he was 3 days old. I didn't stay long but I still went. Nobody touched him.

• ColieO
    by ColieO
    June 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    I would. I brought my son home thanksgiving day. He attended his own baby shower at 3 days old. I've never been one to stay inside or away from people. Same with my daughter. We were out and about as soon as we left the hospital.
  • k9l1c5
    by k9l1c5
    June 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    I would but would wear her the whole time so no one would try to touch her.
  • dudestfd
    June 22, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I took my dd to a family reunion when she was 3 weeks old. There were 130 ppl there, she was fine. 

• a06z08mama
    June 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    My dd was born June 30th. She attended her first 4th of July celebration at just a couple days old. Her great grandmother held her. And so did other family members. When I had ds. We were at Walmart after leaving the hospital because ex never went and got things for me so I didn't have to.

Its your baby. Your choice.
  • KimmieLu
    June 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    Id go. You can wear her as someone else said or just limit who holds her. Just grandparents maybe? Take sanitizer or ask people to wash up before they hold her.
  • Jujikins
    June 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Had same situation last week. DD had just turned a week old and DH's family had a big cook out and insisted that we came. We have all ready had a couple arguements about surprise visits (we had asked nicely that if family wanted to visit and see the baby to please CALL ahead. In-laws decided that they were above such a request and were more upset at us because we were being "selfish, inconsiderate and extremely rude." Mind you the baby is only couple days old at this point and I am just getting out of hospital.)

We decided to go just to avoid trouble and I never heard the end of it, I had people TELLING me they were going to hold the baby. Another family member kept telling everyone who joined the party, "This is only the 2nd time I have been able to see the baby" and whining to anyone who would listen. DD WAS A WEEK OLD sorry I didn't drag her to your house every day since her birth. Finally after DD had fallen asleep we set a place up for her and I had to go sit by myself because I wanted no part of the get together. I regret going.

Do what you are comfortable with and don't let family guilt trip you into doing anything more than that. 

• KruegerGirl1304
    June 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I would go and have a good time. I am sure your family wants to see the new addition. I took y daughter out at a week old and she was born in janruary. I just kept a bottle of hand sanitizer in her diaper bag and made people use it before they touched her.

20 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts