20 Something Moms

MommieSDW
Birth Control- The Stuff You Don't Hear About (Edit)
January 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM

So reading another post had me thinking about birth control.  Has anyone had NEGATIVE side effects from birth control?

I was on the pill between pregnancies, from 2006-2010. My skin was always clear, my periods on time and my weight, eh, so so. I never truly dieted so I don't know if my weight changed due to pill or lack of diet. 

I tried Mirena when I decided I was finished having children in 2008. My uterus rejected it, causing it to get stuck in my cervix and that lead to staph. My OBGYN office wouldn't connect me to my doctor, they said I was sick from  the flu that was going around. After it was finally removed, I went back on the pill.

I had my son in 2011. I got a tubal. After the first few months after my body regulated itself after the baby, I realized something. I felt a LOT different than I did the last 6 years or so. I used to suffer from anxiety pretty badly, depression, mood swings, anger, stress to the point my MIL was truly worried I'd have a stroke. These were thing I attributed to part of my personality. Now, that I haven't been on any birth control or pregnant in a year or so, I find myself happy, calm, I don't stay up all night worrying like I used to. I am hard to anger. Patient. Excited about the future. Weight loss is very easy for me now. I used to get anxiety over watching House because I was afraid of getting sick. I feel like a different person.

I don't know how much has to do with the pill or if I just grew up, but I'm just curious if anyone has ever had a similar experience?

EDIT:

I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their experiences! We all know what the fine print says about possible stroke or embolism but no one really thinks it will happen, or happen often. And as for your emotions, it's hard to put depression and the pill together so sometimes you just suffer alone without knowing why. Hopefully some of the replies here were able to help others! 

Replies

• MommieSDW
    January 24, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    Wow, thank goodness they aren't cancerous. I already worry about long lasting damage from when I was on the pill. I just can't believe how different I feel.

I have heard of the iud getting stuck in the cervix to other women after it happened to me. I was sick for a week. They kept telling me, no, they don't come loose, we never have any problems with them, you have the flu. Ridiculous.

Quoting amberandmonker:

I love this post. You're right.. Hardly no one talks about the negative side effects. I was on the pill for about 5 years then went off of it to get pregnant with our now 2.5 year old. After he was born I had an iud that got lodged in my cervix after two weeks. Seriously that was more painful than child birth. Then I did the implant.. I had a period that lasted for FIVE MONTHS not just spotting either. I became anemic. Then I finally said f it no more bc.. About a month after my implant was removed my dr discovered two tumors on my thyroid. Biopsy reveals they are not cancerous. But sometimes I wonder if all the birth control causing my hormones to fluctuate is what caused those tumors.
  • amberandmonker
    January 24, 2013 at 12:19 AM
    I don't really feel like bc has been around long enough to fully understand the long term effects. We are expecting number two but after this dh is getting snipped.. I refuse to go back on anything after all of that lol

Quoting MommieSDW:

Wow, thank goodness they aren't cancerous. I already worry about long lasting damage from when I was on the pill. I just can't believe how different I feel.

I have heard of the iud getting stuck in the cervix to other women after it happened to me. I was sick for a week. They kept telling me, no, they don't come loose, we never have any problems with them, you have the flu. Ridiculous.

Quoting amberandmonker:

I love this post. You're right.. Hardly no one talks about the negative side effects. I was on the pill for about 5 years then went off of it to get pregnant with our now 2.5 year old. After he was born I had an iud that got lodged in my cervix after two weeks. Seriously that was more painful than child birth. Then I did the implant.. I had a period that lasted for FIVE MONTHS not just spotting either. I became anemic. Then I finally said f it no more bc.. About a month after my implant was removed my dr discovered two tumors on my thyroid. Biopsy reveals they are not cancerous. But sometimes I wonder if all the birth control causing my hormones to fluctuate is what caused those tumors.

• StarryRain
    January 24, 2013 at 12:21 AM
    The shot made me bleed for ten months straight. And then made me temporarily sterile for two years after quitting. Took hormones and time to heal. Thennnn the patch totally failed almost killed the baby. My IUDs both rejected. I only use NFP and VCF and WB ummmwhat?!? For BC now.

;)

• .Funfetti.
    January 24, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I feel that birth control has changed my sex drive, but unfortunately I need birth control because I don't want anymore children at the moment. 

I had Implanon for 3 years with no effects other than heavy and long periods. Right now I have Paragard and I am happy with it, although I am having some odd periods and I need to see if it has to do with that. 

• raye-chan
    January 24, 2013 at 2:31 AM
    I used to be on the pill. I lost a lot of weight but it made my depression a bit worse. I also was very lethargic after I started it.

I haven't used any BC since 2007-2008. I'm scared of getting mirenia and literally had this huge yelling match with my ob in her office after my son was born because she wanted to put it in that day and I didn't want it. She said my fears were "unfounded" and that I shouldn't listen to the fake reviews from others online and hearing first hand from friends and family.

I try to honestly stay away from BC. My body normally can't handle it. :/
  • MommieSDW
    January 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I was pretty exhausted all the time too. These were things I didn't even think could be caused by the pill. 

They really push Mirena. I know people who had good experiences but mine was awful. And when I got sick, they kept acting like I didn't have a clue. Because "Mirena has no problems". 

Quoting raye-chan:

I used to be on the pill. I lost a lot of weight but it made my depression a bit worse. I also was very lethargic after I started it.

I haven't used any BC since 2007-2008. I'm scared of getting mirenia and literally had this huge yelling match with my ob in her office after my son was born because she wanted to put it in that day and I didn't want it. She said my fears were "unfounded" and that I shouldn't listen to the fake reviews from others online and hearing first hand from friends and family.

• raye-chan
    January 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    Yeah :(

Honestly, knowing my experience and luck with things, it'd be a bad idea for me to get any kind of BC like that >.<

Quoting MommieSDW:

I was pretty exhausted all the time too. These were things I didn't even think could be caused by the pill. 

They really push Mirena. I know people who had good experiences but mine was awful. And when I got sick, they kept acting like I didn't have a clue. Because "Mirena has no problems". 

Quoting raye-chan:

• TempestRayne
    January 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    Hormones in the pill and other hormonal birth control absolutely can affect modds-that is why my docs are hesitant to put me on them. I am bipolar and really don't need a nudge either way on the tightrope I walk with my moods, LOL.
  • MaddieKate
    January 24, 2013 at 2:27 PM

This was my reply in an earlier BC post...

I have only ever used the depo shot or pills. I HATED the depo shot. I gained 60lbs after just 2 injects and that was with going to the gym 3 times a week and eating healthy and in small portions(dont believe me? ask my sister kelissamaye)!! It was crazy.
    I did love being on Yaz but it got too expensive and Sprintec worked for a while, but well, I'm pregnant so obviously it was faulty somewhere haha(I'm NOT complaining.. i cant wait til babygirl gets her).

A friend of mine was on Mirena and she had to have a partial hysterectomy because it was literally poisioning her blood!!! So be careful if you're going that root!!
    Another friend of mine used the one in the arm and loved it! it took her a while to get used to the little bump in her arm but other than that she had no complications.

• MaddieKate
    January 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I've also never really heard any complaints about the NUVA Ring.

20 Something Moms