20 Something Moms

Featured Posts
ragitty
Not getting the flu vax
by ragitty
January 10, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I am not a fan of flu shots and had zero intention of getting one until sil decided no one is allowed to see her baby (due in a few weeks and there is no reason to believe he is not perfectly healthy) unless they have one. We started looking into it, and dh and I still didn't want them but I really want to see my nephew before we move away, so the plan was for ds and me to get them (dh still refused). We went to get them today and discovered they do not have the vax for ds's age group (3yo). I called his pediatrician and they are out of flu shots for him as well. I decided if it's that scarce ds does not need it and I will leave them for the people who do. I am no longer getting them either as I do not plan on going by myself to see the baby because I don't think I could stand that much 1-on-1 time with sil and it is not exactly convenient to visit them.

Anyway, dh's brother was also not wanting to get the shot either. Sil is going crazy on him and yesterday sent him a text on the flu epidemic and told him to "educate himself" on matters he knows nothing of himself and he is "ignorant."

Does anyone have any links for us to send her so she can stfu about this? It was her decision to say people without the flu vax can't see the baby, but it is OUR decision whether or not to get the shot. 

Side note: she is not even a first-time mom. This is just her first winter baby.

Replies

• Baby_Avas_Momma
    January 10, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    The strand of flu that's become "epidemic" isn't even the strand that's in the flu shot. Totally pointless to get it in my opinion. Tell her to breastfeed him when he's born, he'll be more protected than anyone. :)
  • RheaF
    by RheaF
    January 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

The strand of flu that's become "epidemic" isn't even the strand that's in the flu shot. Totally pointless to get it in my opinion. Tell her to breastfeed him when he's born, he'll be more protected than anyone. :)

Not to mention, when you get the shot it takes your body up to two weeks to develope antibodies. Leaving your immune system compromised during an epidemic(of a strain not even in the flu shot). No wonder more and more people who get the shot are getting sick.

• MomRocs1102
    January 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM

We dont get it.  I still wouldn't but i understand you all really want to see the baby.

• Ruthzaad
    January 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM
    You can still get the flu within a few weeks of getting it because the vax needs time to take effect. IMO it is pointless to take it. Washing your hands often does more than taking a flu shot that is made from the flu strand itself lol
  • ragitty
    by ragitty
    January 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM

That's what I told bil. She will be ebfing him but because her pediatrician told her everyone needs one to be around the baby and she thinks her ped's words came straight from God himself, she will not budge on the issue. She is too dumb/paranoid/not enough of a realist to look at sources other than the CDC and government and everyone who gets paid by them, but I just want her to see another source for herself so she can get off everyone's backs.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

• Chris030406
    January 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    Just tell her you did. Is she going to ask for proof lol?

The radio this morning said that this current strand is similar to the strand for the vax, therefore it does help, but doesn't completely ward off the flu.

• ragitty
    by ragitty
    January 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I want to see him, but I am not going by myself and dh is not getting it and I don't see a single reasonable argument at this point for ds to get one, considering his good health and the vax shortage (even if I was a fan of them, which I'm not)

Quoting MomRocs1102:

We dont get it.  I still wouldn't but i understand you all really want to see the baby.

• ragitty
    by ragitty
    January 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I already told her we won't. We are healthy so I see no point taking the vax away from people who aren't considering the shortage. Even if it was the right strain, it wouldn't prevent the flu. It just might minimize the duration by a day or 2.

Quoting Chris030406:

Just tell her you did. Is she going to ask for proof lol?

The radio this morning said that this current strand is similar to the strand for the vax, therefore it does help, but doesn't completely ward off the flu.

• Baby_Avas_Momma
    January 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    Is she going to make you give her your vaccine records? lol. Honestly, I'd rather walk in there with sterilized gloves and a face mask to see the baby instead of the flu shot. She needs to realize that baby will probably be MORE at risk to get sick if you get the shot because it is a live virus being injected into you, which will "shed", and put others at risk for getting it.
    She's the only one who needs to do the research!
    Quoting ragitty:

That's what I told bil. She will be ebfing him but because her pediatrician told her everyone needs one to be around the baby and she thinks her ped's words came straight from God himself, she will not budge on the issue. She is too dumb/paranoid/not enough of a realist to look at sources other than the CDC and government and everyone who gets paid by them, but I just want her to see another source for herself so she can get off everyone's backs.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

• ragitty
    by ragitty
    January 10, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I think she considers the CDC a relialbe source for information. I don't think she understands that it is in their best interest that the people who make the vaccine are going to tell you to go out and get it...as if there isn't a financial incentive for them

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Is she going to make you give her your vaccine records? lol. Honestly, I'd rather walk in there with sterilized gloves and a face mask to see the baby instead of the flu shot. She needs to realize that baby will probably be MORE at risk to get sick if you get the shot because it is a live virus being injected into you, which will "shed", and put others at risk for getting in.
    She's the only one who needs to do the research!

Quoting ragitty:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

20 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN