20 Something Moms

Featured Posts
MrsLondon
The "Menstrual Cycle" Talk
January 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I have a 10 year old girl turning 11 this summer and I am bracing myself for her cycle to start. We all have had the experience of our first period and I remember what it was like for me. I was in the middle of class when mine started. Thank goodness our uniforms were a dark color.

I was more mature then she is at her age so I think I was a little more prepared. I'm not sure how prepared she is to take care of her hygiene like she should. Especially considering she is LAZY!! I have to push her to do just about everything. Her oral hygiene is the biggest thing.

I have noticed that she has started to ask more questions about it and everytime she starts to ask me something my heart stops. I've had the talk and showed her what to do. I just hope it sinks in and she's ready.

For those with girls approaching puberty.. How do you think they are going to handle it? How are you handling knowing your little girl is growing up so fast?

Replies

• jessi19
    by jessi19
    January 3, 2013 at 2:41 PM

My little girl is only 4, but i was 11 when i started. i plan to talk with her about it around 9 yrs old to make sure she understands what happening and what she needs to do. when she does start i may take her out for a "grown up" lunch just for her to make it special. and we can talk about it again and any questions she may have

• Megan11587
    January 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Random question...I didn't get my period until I was 15.  Does the mother's age of puberty predict the child's age?

• MrsLondon
    January 3, 2013 at 2:50 PM

It doesn't necessarily "predict" it but it is likely that they will start as early or late as you did. My mother started around 11 and I started at 10.

Quoting Megan11587:

Random question...I didn't get my period until I was 15.  Does the mother's age of puberty predict the child's age?

• ericaaf
    by ericaaf
    January 3, 2013 at 2:52 PM

i would talk to her and get her a book for girls.....i was at target and they had this book that explained everything that happens to girls in puberty ( i looked through it bc i was curious)---i remember it was embarrassing for me to talk to my mom about getting hair down there and other things...so maybe the book would help her also.

• sarahjoy
    January 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I had that talk with my daughter... right after she turned 11.  Shes started developing little "speed bumps" so I kinda took that as the clue I better get to that talk.  But my dd is so curious about everything that that talk turned into her questioning me about why it happens and exactly what happens when a girl gets her period... I had to go into the whole uterus wall explaination and everything... my other two are not as curious about the science of things so I dont think they will ask as many detailed questions. 

• mrsbrand
    January 3, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Oh no!! I Started at 9!!! 

Quoting MrsLondon:

It doesn't necessarily "predict" it but it is likely that they will start as early or late as you did. My mother started around 11 and I started at 10.

Quoting Megan11587:

• johnie_carney
    January 3, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I know its uncomfortable but you have to be honest with her and just tell her everything. my mom sat me down and told me EVERYTHING. because of that i was comfortable with my self and when i started having sex bc she was honest with me and told me all the ways to protect myself i did and never got an std and got pregnant was i was married and ready

• TempestRayne
    January 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM
    My daughter will be eleven next month. I figure we have a little while before it starts, but I am nervous about it. She already know about it, we had the talk about seven years ago.
  • MrsLondon
    January 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

So you had that talk when she was 3??

Quoting TempestRayne:

My daughter will be eleven next month. I figure we have a little while before it starts, but I am nervous about it. She already know about it, we had the talk about seven years ago.

• TempestRayne
    January 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM
    Three or four, yeah. She walked in while I was changing my pad while I was on my period and freaked out. I just told her that when girls become women, their bodies change and they bleed from the vagina as a way to show they are not pregnant. I explained that I was not hurt and that it was totally normal.
    Quoting MrsLondon:

20 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN