20 Something Moms

Jean1208
Circumcision???
November 19, 2012 at 12:21 AM

So I'm due March 5th and I'm having a little boy.  I have a daughter but this is my first boy and when i first found out i was having a boy i automaticallysaid yes I'm getting him circumcised but now I'm not so sure I want to.  I've been doing research and I just don't see the point in it.  I mean honestly other than religious reasons i don't understand why someone would put their newborn child through that much pain.... to cut or not to cut.... that is the question.... help!

Replies

• TheMommaJessie
    November 30, 2012 at 10:52 AM

i get yeast infections a lot and have great hygiene and have 2 get a prescription 4 medication 4 it because i am allergic 2 over the counter crap. condoms dont protect from stds very well from what research ive done. my son is circumsized so is huby & hubby is greatful 2 his parents 4 it. 2 each their own but i think its a good thing & if i have another son i will circumsize him 2.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Teaching safe sex and using condoms is much more effective way to prevent STDs. More women get yeast infections, antibiotics clear it right up. The US has the highest circ rates for a first world country, and funny enough the US also has the highest infection rates. So no, circumcision doesn't have any effect on preventing diseases and infections.
    There's no reason to cut off a perfectly healthy and functioning body part because someone doesn't want to teach their kid safe sex and proper hygiene.

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

it decreases risk of hiv stds aids yeast infections so worth it. they numb the area baby feels nothing.

• sVaca
    by sVaca
    November 30, 2012 at 11:17 AM

well im glad you have your own opinion. bashing other moms bc they decided to get THEIR sons foreskin cut off is their deciscion. kudos for you for not. every dr is different, every dr has different beliefs of why something is wrong. you cant sit there and say someones an idiot bc of one thing they say. that dr delivered both of my kids and made sure i didnt bleed out after my second. if she wants to get her son circumcsied then go ahed. she asks for opions not people to bash about the situation. its a normal question that moms go thru when they have boys. 

Quoting VanessaCB:

Quoting sVaca:

Hi, i had my son in 2010 and my first thought too was oh yeah im getting him circumcised. We went through with the procedure and it is less of a hassel to clean. But during the procedure they numb the penis and then cut it... after that all you have to do is add vasaline to it every time you change him to keep from the diaper sticking to it and pulling off the scabs. I think it took my son about 1 week and a half to heal and after that it was nothing. My dr told me that if daddy is that you should make the son too... that way when it comes time for potty training the son isnt like "well why does mine different from daddys"

Then your doctor is a complete idiot. Mutilate your son's penis so he matches his mutilated dad. What a ridiculous reason to cut off a part of your son's penis. How about the dad seek a foreskin restoration instead?  My son is intact, my DH is not. Big freaking deal. I potty trained him and it was easy. If he ever questions why his penis is different than his dad's, I will tell him the truth. That his dad had his foreskin cut off at birth because we didn't know any better back then, but now we know better therefore he has his whole penis, the way nature intended him to be.

• Baby_Avas_Momma
    November 30, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    Exactly my point, women get way more infections then men, but yet none of them are lining up to have their foreskin removed (yes, women have foreskins too), because that's what antibiotics are for. Circumcision to prevent STDs is a huge myth that's been debunked many many times. Condoms are 99% effective if used properly, I don't know what "research" you done that says condoms are not very effective... lol. Not every guy is thankful for it to have been done to them, which is why millions of men are currently restoring their foreskins, and I'm sure the 117 babies that die every year in this country from being circumcised aren't very thankful for it either.
    And I agree "to each their own", for the person who own the penis.
    Quoting TheMommaJessie:

i get yeast infections a lot and have great hygiene and have 2 get a prescription 4 medication 4 it because i am allergic 2 over the counter crap. condoms dont protect from stds very well from what research ive done. my son is circumsized so is huby & hubby is greatful 2 his parents 4 it. 2 each their own but i think its a good thing & if i have another son i will circumsize him 2.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Teaching safe sex and using condoms is much more effective way to prevent STDs. More women get yeast infections, antibiotics clear it right up. The US has the highest circ rates for a first world country, and funny enough the US also has the highest infection rates. So no, circumcision doesn't have any effect on preventing diseases and infections.
    There's no reason to cut off a perfectly healthy and functioning body part because someone doesn't want to teach their kid safe sex and proper hygiene.

Quoting TheMommaJessie:

it decreases risk of hiv stds aids yeast infections so worth it. they numb the area baby feels nothing.

• supastars
    February 9, 2013 at 3:20 AM
    I was the same way before my DS was born. DH is circumcised and wanted DS circed. I said "sure, whatever," since it was not something I ever really thought about and in school they taught you it is a painless procedure that could help keep away infection and stds. However, on the day DS was born we found out my doctor doesn't believe in circumcision and as a result we would have to go find someone else. I decided to do some research and what I learned of circumcision (how it is done, why it is done, the torturous pain it inflict on the helpless infant) I changed my mind and DH supported my decision. I am so glad I had time to stop and became fully informed because had the doctor done the procedure that day at the hospital, I would probably be regretting it for a very long time.
  • ToolArmy066
    February 9, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Quoting LongBeachLiz:

*we* chose not to. I didn't see the need. We haven't had any problems. I am happy with our decision.

I hope you can find the best for you!!

• Proud2BWeird
    February 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    I know I'm late to this, but feel the need to point this out, both for your future sons, and for others who choose to leave their sons intact. Sorry if this has been addressed already, but I don't have time now to reads through the rest of the replies.

It is NOT easier to clean a circumcised penis, especially in an infant! There is no retraction necessary. As a matter of fact, retracting the infant foreskin is damaging and painful. Nobody should retract the foreskin except the child himself, and it should NEVER be forced.

Quoting Liz.Sisk:

I've already decided if I have a boy he's not being circumcised. I see no point in it really. It's easier to clean it yes, but no one is lazy about their child's cleanliness I hope so cleaning and uncut genitalia shouldn't be intimidating or hard. I have nothing wrong with circumcised babies in just don't see a point if it's not religion.

• amanda81919
    February 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    For us no. But its definatly something to research and talk to your husband about. For us it was simple, he wasn't, nor any one in his family. And I did a lot of research and we decided not to. But its something the two of you must do, and not let peer pressure influence you in the least.
  • mommyvidana
    February 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM

i really didnt care with my first you know i didnt think about whether or not to do it but husband insisted so we did and he got hospitalized and had to do a catheter to rule out certain things they acknowledged it and said good thing i did since its much cleaner and rule out uti right away.

20 Something Moms