20 Something Moms

Ladysigma07
I think my 6 day old is constipated!
October 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Here is DJ! He was born last Friday weighing 4.7lbs. He was very healthy so after 3 days we were discharged. Normally, each time he eats he poops. He hasn't pooped since Tuesday and I am a little concerned! He is grunting and pushing but no luck. We have our first visit with the pediatrician tomorrow but this is my first baby so I wanted to know if their were any home remedies for constipation....

Replies

• PeaceMuch
    October 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Does he breastfeed? Its normal for them to go a few days. You could try sticking a thermometer up his anus to try help? That's what our pedi suggested once and it worked.
  • Babydallasleigh
    October 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    Bump
  • asmalltowngirl
    October 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    If he is breastfeeding, it is totally normal.

I'm not sure about formula
  • lilmama8408
    October 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    BF babies can go several days without pooping. My DD went from pooping constantly to every couple of days before we switched to formula. Now its usually at least once a day but not always.
  • Ladysigma07
    October 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    We are doing both but he is getting more formula then breast milk. He is getting as much breast milk as I can pump which is not enough for all of his feedings. Outside of that its formula. I didn't think of using a thermometer. I just read another article that said to use a Q-tip covered in Vaseline.

Quoting PeaceMuch:

Does he breastfeed? Its normal for them to go a few days. You could try sticking a thermometer up his anus to try help? That's what our pedi suggested once and it worked.
  • PeaceMuch
    October 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    A q-tip would work also. And yeah I forgot to mention putting vaseline on it.

Quoting Ladysigma07:

We are doing both but he is getting more formula then breast milk. He is getting as much breast milk as I can pump which is not enough for all of his feedings. Outside of that its formula. I didn't think of using a thermometer. I just read another article that said to use a Q-tip covered in Vaseline.

Quoting PeaceMuch:

• Ladysigma07
    October 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    We are doing both but more formula then bf!

Quoting asmalltowngirl:

If he is breastfeeding, it is totally normal.

I'm not sure about formula
  • claddison
    October 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM

you could also try mixing in a small drop of light Karo syrup mixed in his bottle of formula.  that always helped my little ones when they were constipated.

• LongBeachLiz
    October 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    Karo wouldn't be good for a 6 day old.

The thermometer is good with vasoline but only the tip.
    It's normal to go a few days without poop unless you can see he is in visible pain. Sometimes formula with too much iron (like similac) can cause a problem but I wouldn't switch him yet.

Quoting claddison:

you could also try mixing in a small drop of light Karo syrup mixed in his bottle of formula.  that always helped my little ones when they were constipated.

• MamaLioness2012
    October 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    When I was nursing ds would go 4-5 days without pooping, made me nervous too but I guess they jut absorb everyhing in breastmilk so well they don't need to poop. My doctor told me it was good. My niece went a week and a half and nothing helped...not even a q-tip! I would definetly try the q-tip with Vaseline though and if he's ready to go he will...if it doesn't work...well, what goes in MUST come out eventually! Chin up!

20 Something Moms