20 Something Moms

Featured Posts
Ladysigma07
I think my 6 day old is constipated!
October 11, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Here is DJ! He was born last Friday weighing 4.7lbs. He was very healthy so after 3 days we were discharged. Normally, each time he eats he poops. He hasn't pooped since Tuesday and I am a little concerned! He is grunting and pushing but no luck. We have our first visit with the pediatrician tomorrow but this is my first baby so I wanted to know if their were any home remedies for constipation....

Replies

• PeaceMuch
    October 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    Does he breastfeed? Its normal for them to go a few days. You could try sticking a thermometer up his anus to try help? That's what our pedi suggested once and it worked.
  • Babydallasleigh
    October 11, 2012 at 8:05 PM
    Bump
  • asmalltowngirl
    October 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM
    If he is breastfeeding, it is totally normal.

I'm not sure about formula
  • lilmama8408
    October 11, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    BF babies can go several days without pooping. My DD went from pooping constantly to every couple of days before we switched to formula. Now its usually at least once a day but not always.
  • Ladysigma07
    October 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    We are doing both but he is getting more formula then breast milk. He is getting as much breast milk as I can pump which is not enough for all of his feedings. Outside of that its formula. I didn't think of using a thermometer. I just read another article that said to use a Q-tip covered in Vaseline.

Quoting PeaceMuch:

Does he breastfeed? Its normal for them to go a few days. You could try sticking a thermometer up his anus to try help? That's what our pedi suggested once and it worked.
  • PeaceMuch
    October 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM
    A q-tip would work also. And yeah I forgot to mention putting vaseline on it.

Quoting Ladysigma07:

We are doing both but he is getting more formula then breast milk. He is getting as much breast milk as I can pump which is not enough for all of his feedings. Outside of that its formula. I didn't think of using a thermometer. I just read another article that said to use a Q-tip covered in Vaseline.

Quoting PeaceMuch:

• Ladysigma07
    October 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    We are doing both but more formula then bf!

Quoting asmalltowngirl:

If he is breastfeeding, it is totally normal.

I'm not sure about formula
  • claddison
    October 11, 2012 at 9:23 PM

you could also try mixing in a small drop of light Karo syrup mixed in his bottle of formula.  that always helped my little ones when they were constipated.

• LongBeachLiz
    October 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM
    Karo wouldn't be good for a 6 day old.

The thermometer is good with vasoline but only the tip.
    It's normal to go a few days without poop unless you can see he is in visible pain. Sometimes formula with too much iron (like similac) can cause a problem but I wouldn't switch him yet.

Quoting claddison:

you could also try mixing in a small drop of light Karo syrup mixed in his bottle of formula.  that always helped my little ones when they were constipated.

• MamaLioness2012
    October 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    When I was nursing ds would go 4-5 days without pooping, made me nervous too but I guess they jut absorb everyhing in breastmilk so well they don't need to poop. My doctor told me it was good. My niece went a week and a half and nothing helped...not even a q-tip! I would definetly try the q-tip with Vaseline though and if he's ready to go he will...if it doesn't work...well, what goes in MUST come out eventually! Chin up!

20 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts