20 Something Moms

Featured Posts
addiesmommy1109
3 year old and patience...
October 4, 2012 at 11:04 AM
My dd will be 3 in about 4 weeks. She has a little sister who is 4 months old. She has been pretty spoiled with me home for the first 6 months of her life, and the last 10 months. She was watched by her grandparents while I worked and she was the first grand baby so overly spoiled. She does not have an ounce of patience. If she wants something and I can't do it right that instant she throws mega tantrums. Her tantrums consist of hitting, biting, and pulling her hair, ear piercing screaming, just craziness. Idk how to teach her that she has to wait just a minute sometimes. Any advice??

Replies

• whitegirlwasted
    October 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    Play some guns & roses for her.
  • thanush
    by thanush
    October 4, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    When she ask for something, say 1 minute and do something else for few seconds before giving it to her. Ignore the tantrums and walk away. Best way to deal with tantrums are to ignore them. Usually a time out ( send her to her room) works for my DD to re set. Time outs do not need to be punishments, but rather a chance to let her get herself on hold. Do not give in to her while she's throwing a tantrum. Tell her she can have it when she calms down.
    Once she does calm down, hug her.. This is what I do with my 2yr 9 mo old DD... It works for her. They are all the same at this age.. Good luck.
  • got3boyz
    October 4, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I wish I knew.  My 3 yr. old has no patience either.

• GodsAmiga
    October 5, 2012 at 6:00 AM

This is what I did with both my 4 and my 2.5 year old when they went through (and sometimes still go through-lol) the impatient stage. Especially adding in the "you can have it once you calm down." That really helps them realize what the behavior problem is so that they can work on it. And having her wait a little bit even when she's having a good moment and not throwing a tantrum also works great. I started out with something small like a minute and then after they started waiting better I'd throw in some times when it was a bit longer of a wait. It helped them a lot with learning patience and realizing that mommy sometimes has other responsibilities as well that I need to take care of.

Quoting thanush:

When she ask for something, say 1 minute and do something else for few seconds before giving it to her. Ignore the tantrums and walk away. Best way to deal with tantrums are to ignore them. Usually a time out ( send her to her room) works for my DD to re set. Time outs do not need to be punishments, but rather a chance to let her get herself on hold. Do not give in to her while she's throwing a tantrum. Tell her she can have it when she calms down.
    Once she does calm down, hug her.. This is what I do with my 2yr 9 mo old DD... It works for her. They are all the same at this age.. Good luck.

• .Peaches.
    October 5, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Sorry, I don't have any. I have older 2 older children plus my 3 year old, so she understand what 'wait a minute' means. And if she doesn't, oh well, she's just gonna have to hang on until I can get a second, temper tantrum or not.

• alexsmomaubrys2
    October 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I would make her wait. She asks for a glass of milk, tell her "Give me 2 minutes" and then wait two minutes. If she starts to throw a tantrum, then correct the behavior. I would start saying "give me 2 minutes" for everything, she'll eventually learn.

*We did this with our kids*

• joyfullem
    October 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Personally I would set her in her room and tell her to come out when she can talk nice.  Biting is unacceptable no matter what.  All kids throw the occasional tantrum but everytime you are busy?  I would be sitting her in her room and I wouldnt do it until she is calm and can ask nicley with a please. 

• sj3starz
    October 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    There's a sesame street clip on youtube if you're lo likes Elmo. I know kids forget fast but it may start things in the right direction. I have yet to deal with this problem though since dd is 10 mo get main thing is separation anxiety right now.
  • bfairbanks
    October 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I have a three year old dd she will be 4 in March, I also have a 10 month old. My dd stayed with her great grandparents when i worked and is now very spoiled and a major drama queen. I have the same problems she wants stuff done right then, her way or no way. I have tried everything to teach her patience, one thing that seems to work sometimes is for me to pretend to be her. I will say Brendlee get me a toy and if she says so i sit down cry and yell like she does and I keep on and on until shes about to cry, then I explain how she doesnt like it when I pitch fits for not getting my way and I dont like it when she does it. It works sometimes....GL

20 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN