20 Something Moms

Featured Posts
tjane3000
Religious conflict
October 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM

My husband and I recently moved out of state for work. We have been lucky enough to have wonderful neighbors who have really gone out of their way to make us feel welcome. They are all pretty religious but not pushy about it which is great. They are still down to earth ppl and I would NEVER discredit anyone or their beliefs. I myself am not a religious person nor do I want to be, but that doesn't mean I don't respect it. My one neighbor invited me to a group at the church that is like a music activity for our kids. It is something I know my ds would love and I want to sign up but idk if it's appropriate since I am not part of the church. Should i still attend?

Replies

• PINKmyfavcolor
    October 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

If you're not a part of the church but you were invited and you know your DS would love it, then I say go.

Join us in the Pregnancy group

• crabtreemommy
    October 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Attend! You were invited by someone.... and your ds would love it!

• steelcage
    October 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I'd give it a try, but your DS is going to learn about God, Jesus, and the whole nine yards. If that's something you're prepared for, then go for it but if you don't want the awkward questions like "Why don't we go to church?" and "Do you believe in God?", then I'd turn down the invite.

• MamaPeanut
    October 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM
    I would probably not, but I'm not comfortable in religious settings.

I'd rather just pay for toddler classes somewhere.
  • LilMamaK
    October 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I say go! The good thing about (most) churches is when they do activities like this, it's a public and open event. There should not be any bashing or pushing religion on you. It's about having fun, meeting new people, and enjoying yourself! Go, have a good time!

• smileber
    October 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I agree with LilMamaK. He may pick up a few religious things here or there, but if it is open to the public, he most likely won't be learning about it like he would in Sunday School.

• dannif26
    October 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I say give it a try, if you feel uncomfortable...don't go back. But that way you know you gave it a shot.

• mommy-munster
    October 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM
    Heck ya, sometimes we step out of our bubbles for our kids shoot my fiancee doesn't agree with church but went with me and my son cause my little man loves church
  • tjane3000
    October 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Thank you! I do feel better about going knowing that it's not ethically wrong because I was invited. I don't mind my ds learning about god. I want him to make his own choiced for sure! Thank you all so much for the advice!

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    October 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM
    This is the best toe in the water attempt your gonna get. It's not technically Church but its a church event. Don't look at it as church look at it as a community event and meeting your neighbors and being a part if the community.
    Btw we are agnostic in a very religious area and we are pretty much avoided by everyone because if it so be thankful they welcome you like this.

20 Something Moms

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN