20 Something Moms

rosemagic01
Is This Socially Acceptable?
April 3, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I'm curious?

I threw a party on Sunday with a bunch of friends. We were all sitting around talking after dinner and just hanging out. I'm pretty sure one of my friends was talking about something so I was focusing on her she was the only one sitting to my right. At one point I just looked back at everyone else who were all on my left only to see 2 people on their cell phones on FB. 

I seriously felt like taking their phones! Here we are a group of friends chatting it up laughing having a great time and your on your cell phones checking a social site?! How much more social can you get than being in a group of people who are ON your facebook! Like hello they're not posting because they're here and being social and not playing on FB! I totally called them on it though and everyone got a nice giggle but honestly I want to do these get togethers every month and I'm considering a no cell phone rule. Leave it at the door leave it in a bucket or something if it rings you can answer it but NO FB, no net, no texting. You in a room full of people BE SOCIAL its a lost art! 

Think that would be rude? Could you go 2 and a half hours without checking FB obsessively?? Could you put your phone away for that long? Do you think we're coming to a place where this is socially acceptable in situations?

I seriously think their both addicts! I know I am but I can go a good 8 hours before I start getting the cold sweats and shakes. LOL. Last year I went 4 days on vacation no phone no net it was difficult the first night but after that it was easy. Could you do it?

Let me just say that we all had a laugh. The bucket is something I saw on pinterest and while I have considered doing it it would be more of a gag and those who want to part take in that. Not a necessary or a mandatory. While two have already supported the suggestion of it. My friends and I can laugh about these kinds of things without it being a controling or dramatic thing I promise you! I'm more or less disappointed that life has become more about whats going on online but not in person in reality right in front of you ya know? But by no means am I upset or angry with them. This post was made in fun. 

Replies

• lovenoahandjeff
    April 3, 2012 at 1:57 AM
    Yeah, I could do it.
    I hosted a beautiControl spa party & my mom was appalled at how my friends were all texting & on fb during the presentation. She's hard of hearing, so it was a major distraction with the beeps & text tones going off every 2 seconds.
    I don't think it's asking too much to put the phones away for a bit. Geez. Lol
  • leidy2011
    April 3, 2012 at 2:20 AM
    I can do it. I only text with my dh. I decided to not talk to alot of people. Too much drama and I'm not with that. I hate when it's just you and some one else having a convo and the other person is texting and when your done speaking they don't know what you just said and they're like hu?
  • LMEMomma05
    April 3, 2012 at 6:16 AM
    I could do it, whenever I attend a party doesn't matter if its a Childs birthday or an adults. My cell goes into my bag or pocket (depending on if Logan is with or being watched). Its possible but people have become lazy when it comes to real life social interaction.
  • angi07
    by angi07
    April 3, 2012 at 6:18 AM
    I usually leave my phone in thr car. It's a big distraction sometimes.
  • Bncholbert
    April 3, 2012 at 6:21 AM
    This is so true! And theres usually so much going on at parties, who the heck has TIME to be on their phone?! Especially at a childrens party! I really hate when I get into a good convo with another mom at dd's school & they immediately say "do u have a fb?" Really?!?! LOL

Quoting LMEMomma05:

I could do it, whenever I attend a party doesn't matter if its a Childs birthday or an adults. My cell goes into my bag or pocket (depending on if Logan is with or being watched). Its possible but people have become lazy when it comes to real life social interaction.
  • MaaMee6317
    April 3, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    Ive been there, very recently too. My brother and his bm were over and we were drinking and getting ready to play cards. I was on my cell checking cm and he said "its my biggest pet peeve, a bitch on her phone when were trying to be social" i giggled and then his bm posted something on fb and i quoted him lol. They both told me the whole time they were here i was on my phone, i felt bad.

hi my name is Maamee and i am an addict.

I think you having that bucket or whatever it mayb would be the best thing you can try.
  • Evonavich
    April 3, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    Omg I just yelled at my friend on Sunday about that. It was my wedding reception/party and he was sitting there on fb, I threatened a cupcake to the face if he didnt get off!
  • beco8627
    April 3, 2012 at 6:31 AM
    Well, I personally have no problem going hours without checking my phone when I'm busy with other people. I don't really have issues with people checking their phones in a big group setting. I mean, you were turned to your right, listening to your friend talk...why do you care if the people to your left was looking at their phone? I do feel like a lot of people use their phones as a "coping mechanism," sometimes. If your put into a social setting, and your awkwardly sitting there, either not giving a crap about what other people are talking about, or just not having anything to say, you turn to your phone and play around on it so your not really expected to contribute to the conversation. Have you thought that perhaps your guests thought the conversation was boring? Instead of "calling them out," you could've simply asked them a direct question about something you know they're interested in...
  • LMEMomma05
    April 3, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    Especially at a Childs party! My son is only 13 months, so I don't have that problem yet. But I completely agree witg the really?! part. I dunno maybe they see fb as a "screening" process? Haha

Quoting Bncholbert:

This is so true! And theres usually so much going on at parties, who the heck has TIME to be on their phone?! Especially at a childrens party! I really hate when I get into a good convo with another mom at dd's school & they immediately say "do u have a fb?" Really?!?! LOL

Quoting LMEMomma05:

• Bncholbert
    April 3, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    bahahaha @ screening process!! "um im sorry but if u dont pass my fb expectations....,ya need to go!!" LMAO geez..thats what this world is coming to! Summing people up by the content on their fb which half the time is exaggerated! And lets not forget all the people who have a drink & "drunk post" bahahaha those would make for a good evaluation!

Quoting LMEMomma05:

Especially at a Childs party! My son is only 13 months, so I don't have that problem yet. But I completely agree witg the really?! part. I dunno maybe they see fb as a "screening" process? Haha

Quoting Bncholbert:

Quoting LMEMomma05:

20 Something Moms