Handmade Holidays...

carrie_grace
Handmade halloween costume ideas (2009)
August 16, 2009 at 6:39 AM

Just wanted to get the ball rollong on this years post for all of your great handmade costume ideas, links, and photos, please post them here :)

witch

Replies

• carrie_grace
    August 16, 2009 at 6:49 AM

My daughter is 2 this year and already really excited about dressing up for halloween.  Right now she is waffling between being a pirate and being a butterfly... every time I ask her what she wants to be she answers with one of those two costume ideas.

Her are a few links I have found so far for kids pirate and butterfly patterns:

this is the pattern i was thinking of using for her pirate costume

http://simplicity.com/dv1_v4.cfm?design=3680

and these are a few geat tutorials I found about making butterfly costumes:

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/more-winged-costumes?autonomy_kw=kids%20pirate%20costume

http://www.marthastewart.com/article/new-butterfly-costume?autonomy_kw=butterfly%20costume

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=6408c137bf22f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default

pirate

• vantastic
    August 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM

DD wants to be a pirate also. DS -  well, dunno yet. I will get pics as soon as I can.

• wildharvestmoon
    August 16, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I'm buying two plain monkey costumes for my 2 boys and turning them into flying monkey costumes from The Wizard of Oz. I'll then be dressing up as the Wicked Witch.

• pumpooga
    August 16, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I've made bumblebee colored tutus for my girls and even pillowcase dresses with bees on the chest to wear w/tutus. But my mom is crocheting striped pants and a top for each of the girls which I think'll look better with the tutus than the dress :) I'll post pictures when everything's here.

• carrie_grace
    August 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Quoting wildharvestmoon:

I'm buying two plain monkey costumes for my 2 boys and turning them into flying monkey costumes from The Wizard of Oz. I'll then be dressing up as the Wicked Witch.

That is awesome!

• stefaniejane
    August 17, 2009 at 2:00 PM

Cute!!!! We got a vest-type top for a bumblebee costume (complete w/ stinger and antennas) from a local consignment shop for 40 cents (It was priced $4 but it was 90% off day!)  and I wasn't sure how to make it work for us since it wasn't girly.  I was going to put black yoga pants and a long sleeved shirt under it, but if you don't mind, I think a yellow & black tutu would really make it rock.  I totally love your idea, and tutus are so simple.  I was actually thinking of giving up this costume idea until I saw your idea.  Can't wait to see your pics. 

Ella was a butterfly last year (Old Navy costume) and this year will be a bee.  Hmmm... can't wait to see lady bug ideas, lol... we may be starting something :)

Quoting pumpooga:

I've made bumblebee colored tutus for my girls and even pillowcase dresses with bees on the chest to wear w/tutus. But my mom is crocheting striped pants and a top for each of the girls which I think'll look better with the tutus than the dress :) I'll post pictures when everything's here.

• justgrape723
    August 18, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Halloween 2007 S.C.U.B.A. Diver

With Aunt Kathy. I bought a diving set at the end of summer season clearance $8.00

(Aunt Kathy goes all out on halloween)

With Aunt LaDare

It came with the mask, the mouth piece, and flippers

With his cousin, I used an old back pack's straps to hold up his "air tanks"

The air tanks were made from 2- 2 liter pop bottles that I painted on the inside and use left over fish tank tubing to look like the air hoses

Total cost out of pocket.....less than $10.00

• justgrape723
    August 18, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Halloween 2008 Eric was 5 y.o. costume this year ....Mr Potato head. I can't read sewing patterns so I had to just wing it and prayed that it all came together....it did with some help from my glue gun

I used poster board (2 pieces) for the hat. And black tulle for the cut out face piece.As you look at the pics you will see that I also made it so the face could be changed just like the real toy. The extra pieces are stored in a butt compartment again just like the real toy...I am OCD...lol

I had found the potato skin fabric in the $1.00 a yard bin I bought 8 yards just in case. For stuffing I used left over quilt batting, pillow stuffing and fabric scraps. I bought some felt squares for .20 cents a piece. less than $2.00 worth

I used velcro to keep face pieces in place and so that they could be changed easily

In NY we need to keep the weather in mind when it comes to costumes it has been known to snow on halloween night.

I made him a potato sack for his candy collecting. Made that out of burlap. I think the costume total was around $15.00 out of pocket

• fairysurreale
    August 19, 2009 at 8:55 AM

My DD is going to be a penguin (think Happy Feet) and my DS is going to be her egg.  I am just having a tough time finding a penguin pattern (the egg I had no issue finding).  

• justgrape723
    August 19, 2009 at 9:32 AM

can you use the egg pattern and modify it with wings and a beak and face?? Maybe you could find another type of bird and modify it.

I personally cannot read a pattern so I would just kinda wing it (no pun intended)  I know I made my son a chicken costume I will try to post pics later today

Quoting fairysurreale:

My DD is going to be a penguin (think Happy Feet) and my DS is going to be her egg.  I am just having a tough time finding a penguin pattern (the egg I had no issue finding).  

Handmade Holidays...