Handmade Holidays...

mikazuki
LOOKING FOR: Fudge recipe and tin cans....
May 29, 2009 at 11:43 AM

I tried the search feature and couldn't find it. Around XMas someone posted a really great idea - take a quick fudge recipe and pour it into inexpensive tin cans lined with wax paper or parchment paper. I'm looking for that recipe (can't find it) because I plan on making these tin cans for the teachers (school ends next week). I'm going to the dollar store today and buying "spring tins".

Replies

• katelyns_mommy
    May 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I don't know about that exact recipe but here's the one I use. Its really good and really easy. And I'm sure you can pour it in the tin cans.

1 1/2 cups sugar

1-7oz jar marshmallow cream

1-5oz can evaporated milk 

1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)

2 cups (12 oz package) Hershey's chocolate chips

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1.) Line pan with foil or wax paper. Butter the foil or paper

2.) Combine sugar, marshmallow cream, evaporated milk, and butter in a sauce pan. Cook over med. heat. Stirring constantly, to a full boil. Boil, stirring constantly for 5 min. Remove from heat; add chocolate chips and vanilla. Stir just until chips are melted. Pour into pan. Refridgerate 1 hr. 

I hope this helps.

• buffyg
    by buffyg
    May 29, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I don't know anything about that recipe....

Here is the one I use, it is Paula Dean's recipe

3 c sugar

1c evaporated milk

4 heaping TBSP cocoa

3 TBSP white corn syrup

Put these ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. When the candy thermometer reaches 234-240 degrees take off heat.

add

6 TBSP butter

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 1/2 c nuts (chopped)

Stir. Beat mixture until thickened. Butter a dish and pour mixture into dish to set.

Cool., score, cut

It is really good! I make it every Christmas and it is gone quick.

• mikazuki
    May 30, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Thanks guys. I'll try those. I picked up small red tins from Joann's for 68 cents (on clearance plus an additional 30% off). I love inexpensive, homemade gifts that are yummy.

• mnwintercritter
    May 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Here is a link to my fudge post at Christmas. I put several quick and easy fudges in the post. As well as tips for dealing with how not to end up with pudding instead of a block of fudge.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/25285/forums/read/6473206/My_holiday_gifts_2_The_many_flavors_and_ways_to_do_Fudge_More_info

A quick suggestion, if you pick your tins up from garage sales, thrift stores or the dollar store, line your tins with foil. I do wash mine but as I can never really be sure what they have previously been used for I just like to take this extra precaution.

Handmade Holidays...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts