Handmade Holidays...

mommabunnyof4
Do You Make Your Kids Easter Baskets or buy Premade ones?
March 19, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I have always made my kids Easter Baskets. I think the premade ones are expensive and the toys are always crappy that come with them. But last year I bought premade ones only because my 2 oldest sons were into skateboarding and they came with little kid sized real skateboards. But I dismantled the baskets (they weren't really baskets, they were metal tins with handles) and I put everything in the baskets they use every year. And I added some good candy and what-not. And then guess what I found right before christmas hiding in my bedroom? A WHOLE bag full of Easter basket stuffers I apparently bought and forgot about! So I gave it to them. This year, no more premade baskets! I will buy all the stuff and make them myself! No moe hiding and forgetting I bought stuff! I have a locked cabinet for my scrapbook and paper crafting supplies, I will hide it all in there! So what do you plan on doing? Are you going to put home made stuff in the baskets or buy stuff and just assemble the baskets yourself? I put a little of both, I buy stuff (Target dollar section is great for basket stuffers), and I make stuff. I was thinking of putting home made cookies or something in their baskets this year! I'm trying to compile a list of ideas so I can take some of them and make my Easter basket plans! 

Replies

• shortcake1978
    March 19, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I always make them.

• branda32
    March 19, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I usually put them together myself unless I'm just pinched for time.  It's fun trying to find fun things to put in them and trying to make them personal.  I have to watch myself though or I get too caught up in it and end up making baskets for my friends' kids and my mom and my grandma and my sister...It's like Easter Bunny meets Santa. lol

• qkforever
    March 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM

I make them.  I feel the same way about the store bought ones.  My kids really want one of the store bought so I am going to buy the cellophane and make it look like they are store bought.  The only thing is I love their baskets now but they will now that they are not "store" bought if keep them.

• Linkat2000
    March 20, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I made mine....I got a ton of random toys and a few snacks...since mine are too young for too much candy, I bought them their favorite gerber graduate snacks and some m&ms to try for the first time.  I think it is more fun to shop for these things but also like you said, you can find better quality things for the basket and most of the time at a cheaper price.  I think I spent $20 on everything for 2 baskets...and most of that was for their gerber snacks (bought with a coupon).  I put cellophane around any baskets that I give so I am sure I will do it for their easter stuff too.  I think it just makes baskets look very professional.  I also use cellophane for presents that I give that are too big to wrap or I don't feel like wrapping...most people like it just as much! 

• jimbo80
    by jimbo80
    March 20, 2009 at 8:15 AM

i make my son's basket ..i just buy a bunch of toys around his age range , a movie , and some snacks to go with it..i made him this 1 last year

• cudybug
    by cudybug
    March 20, 2009 at 8:16 PM

i make mine as well mostly because like u said the toys in the premaid ones are crap and we dont do candy. I like to do alota books and i start shopping early, except this year we are strapped for money. here is my son and daughters last year. My daughter was 2 and half and my sone was just 6 months i think

• Bradensmommy719
    March 21, 2009 at 2:24 PM

i will make my sons this year. last year he as too little to do one. my mom did get him  few things for easter last year tho. my mom made ours every year so i plan on doing the same

• medicmomof2
    March 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM

I make them. I don't always use a basket though. Sometimes I use a gift bag, or a bucket, or a tin of some sort. Once I used a backpack. I like to get something they can use all year to put things in. I get them things they can use or play with that will last longer than the day does. I hate premade baskets, I think they are a huge waste of money. But I do get some ideas from looking at them. 

• aidensmomma508
    March 22, 2009 at 5:24 PM

I usually make my son's basket, but I was thinkign of copying this Thomas basket I saw... with a Thomas pillow, and Thomas bucket .... etc... add some candy cookies, and outdoor toys from dollar tree like- bubbles, kites, balls, chalk...

• Ladybu6205_1969
    March 22, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I have always made my baskets for my daughter as we didn't want her to get as much candy and junk from the premade one's.  Each year was different, depending on her age.  She would have eggs stuffed with Barbie Clothes and Accessories, Hair/Make-up stuff as she got older, Color books, crayons, bubbles, etc. when she was younger.

The making my own through came back to bite me in the butt one year as I TOTALLY forgot that the next day was Easter and had not made her basket, though, I had bought the stuff. 

When I woke up I heard sniffling out in the living room and realized exactly what she was crying for.  When I went out to the living room, there sits Holly crying, all upset because she had searched the whole house over even under and behind things and the Easter bunny did not leave her a basket. 

I felt so bad but covered pretty darned well if I do say so myself.  I responded with Mommy forgot to put your basket out (we used the same one year after year) so the Easter Bunny had to put the stuff in mommy's closet...LOL.  She bought it and was happy with all the goodies he left that year... though, they were not left in the traditional  realm of things...

Lisa

Handmade Holidays...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts