Handmade Holidays...

carrie_grace
Post your baby shower gift ideas here...mobiles, diaper cakes, and more!!!
January 11, 2009 at 9:19 AM

The birth of a baby is a year round celebration.  Showers are a great opporitunity to give handmade gifts from the heart.  I think nothing makes a better gift than a beautiful handmade keepsake.

Here are a few ideas I like, please add your ideas, instuctionals, or tutorials for handmade baby shower gifts here!

Mobiles are a favorite gift of mine to make for baby-to-be's nursery.  Here are a few different kinds and links to their instructions.

polka dot mobile

ribbon mobile

felt bird mobile

Another popular shower gift idea is the ever popular diaper cake...

Here is an instructional video about making your own diaper cake...

Another gift i have made in the past are hand painted or decoupaged wooden name letters... like these:

They sell these types of wooden letters and many other styles at most craft stores,  They are reasonably priced and very easy to decorate to match the decor of any nursery!

I look forward to seeing you ideas for baby shower gifts!!! Please post your ideas and pictures here!

Replies

• dannymomma
    January 11, 2009 at 11:22 AM

I don't have a picture yet but I make spa baskets. They can have items for mom, baby, nursery and even diaper bag. Its all 100% natural. This is whats in it.....

One customized item always included. Choose from: Bath poof, Loofah sponge, Baby wash Cloths, Back scrubber, Newborn diaper, sleep mask.

Choose from:

Bath Sachet
    Bath Tea
    Massage oil
    Oatmeal bath
    Sweet bath tea
    Natural Diaper Pail Odor Eliminator
    Cradle Cap
    Sitz bath
    Mama Stress Massage Oil
    Postpartum Bath
    Orangy Baby Bath
    Lavender Foot Soak
    Sweet Spot Honey Moisturizer
    Lavender pillow
    Stretch Mark Cream

Diaper Bag Deoderizer

• carrie_grace
    January 11, 2009 at 2:51 PM

ooh... that sounds great... i would love something like that!

Quoting dannymomma:

I don't have a picture yet but I make spa baskets. They can have items for mom, baby, nursery and even diaper bag. Its all 100% natural. This is whats in it.....

One customized item always included. Choose from: Bath poof, Loofah sponge, Baby wash Cloths, Back scrubber, Newborn diaper, sleep mask.

Choose from:

Bath Sachet
    Bath Tea
    Massage oil
    Oatmeal bath
    Sweet bath tea
    Natural Diaper Pail Odor Eliminator
    Cradle Cap
    Sitz bath
    Mama Stress Massage Oil
    Postpartum Bath
    Orangy Baby Bath
    Lavender Foot Soak
    Sweet Spot Honey Moisturizer
    Lavender pillow
    Stretch Mark Cream

Diaper Bag Deoderizer

• staceykt22
    January 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Here's the diaper cake I made for a friend a while back.

diaper cake for Skylar by you.

Burp cloths are also really cute and easy to make.

I've also made boppy slipcovers...

• grandma4five
    January 11, 2009 at 7:29 PM

I posted this on another group - this is what my daughter and I did for my daughter in law a couple of years ago and everyone who attended had a great time.  Instead of having lots of games where you guess what's in the pillowcase, or how many baby names you can come up with, etc.  My daughter prepared most of this ahead of time and all of the guests helped her make the baby's birth announcements.  One stamped, one inked the side of the card, applied the puff stuff, ribbons, buttons, pins, cut the vellum announcement in the middle so all she would have to do is fill in the particulars and we even made the envelopes to match.  Then all of the guests addressed their own!  We even placed stamps and personalized return address stickers made ahead of time.

Everyone who attended felt like they each had a part in the event!  Comments were great - people said it was the best time they ever had at a baby shower.

I had never seen the diaper cakes before that are posted.  What a great idea that is!  The one above is decorated with so many little things mommy and daddy will need and use!   I love all the ideas you all have posted.

• brebear
    by brebear
    January 11, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I make Moby wraps and diaper cakes. I don't have pics of any thay I have  made though. I've made three Moby wraps and made a little carrying bag for them as well. One of the wraps I made had a little pocket in the front for pacifer, burp cloth, ect..

• LucindasMama
    January 12, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I remember someone saying that a moby wrap is basically just (something like) 6 yards of fabric with hemmed edges - is that true?  How would you make the carrying case - do you have a pattern?  Would you need to use a stretchy fabric?  One of my friends is due in April, and I think this would make a fab gift...

Thanks!

Quoting brebear:

I make Moby wraps and diaper cakes. I don't have pics of any thay I have  made though. I've made three Moby wraps and made a little carrying bag for them as well. One of the wraps I made had a little pocket in the front for pacifer, burp cloth, ect..

• carrie_grace
    January 12, 2009 at 11:39 AM

here i a link with instructions...moby wraps are super easy to make!!

Quoting LucindasMama:

I remember someone saying that a moby wrap is basically just (something like) 6 yards of fabric with hemmed edges - is that true?  How would you make the carrying case - do you have a pattern?  Would you need to use a stretchy fabric?  One of my friends is due in April, and I think this would make a fab gift...

Thanks!

Quoting brebear:

• carrie_grace
    January 12, 2009 at 11:47 AM

these are pictures of the pouch sling (like the hotsling) that i made... It is reversable.  a black and white pattern on one side and a solid black on the other.  It takes  2 yards of fabric... 4 if you are making it reversable.  it cost me less than 15.00 to make.

this is the site i used to make my pattern

• staceykt22
    January 12, 2009 at 2:28 PM

That's cute!  I made a sling for a friend too, it was really easy.  I can't believe how much these sell for!

Quoting carrie_grace:

these are pictures of the pouch sling (like the hotsling) that i made... It is reversable.  a black and white pattern on one side and a solid black on the other.  It takes  2 yards of fabric... 4 if you are making it reversable.  it cost me less than 15.00 to make.

this is the site i used to make my pattern

• laurenday5
    January 12, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I love that mobile! I might make that as a faux chandelier! Don't you think that would be neat for a living room??? These are great ideas... I'm shortcutting this.

I like making the cake for a baby shower. I also like giving a blanket tower (rather than diapers)

Handmade Holidays...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts