Handmade Holidays...

carrie_grace
creative ways to make new crayons from old crayons! great gift!
November 6, 2008 at 8:38 PM

Since there has been tons of intrest in this project I thought I would condense the info into one post and keep it sticky through the holidays.

Making Toddler Friendly Crayons

Written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

I am a rather creative person. I love anything and everything that has to do with crafts and even before I had kids I dreamed of being creative with them. Well my son is now 16 months old and I figure the time is right to get him into the arts and craft mood. But everything seems to small for his little hands to hold.

I bought a box of used crayons at a consignment sale last week and decided that I was going to make some chunky crayons for my son to color with (since he is just 16.5 months old). I used only regular Crayola crayons since I figured that not all crayons color alike - so they must not melt alike either (I'll do another batch of just Rose Art Crayons next).

I then took a mini-muffin pan and coated it with a dab of vegetable oil in each space (just enough to show that's it's there but not enough to leave it dripping in oil).

I then took the labels off all of the crayons and broke them into fours. You can either pick the labels off one by one - or you can soak them in cold water to get the labels wet and they will slide right off - your choice (I picked them off one by one just to be difficult.)

I choose to do crayons in like colors but you can do high contrasting - your choice. I separated them out to each mini-muffin space - about three to four crayons per space:

I put them in an oven that had been preheated to 300 degrees and cooked them for 8 minutes (just enough to where they were liquid and melted and you couldn't see the actual crayon shape anymore:

From there I let them sit on the counter for 15 minutes until the congealed again. The I put them in the freezer for another 15 - 30 minutes. It was there in the freezer that they started breaking away from the pan - so when I took them out they just came right out of the pan:

And that's it .... for $3 (which is what it cost me to buy the huge box of used crayons - which I still have more of)... I made some cool toddler friendly crayons for my son:

This tutorial was written by Allison of Funky Little Monkey.

You can also use shaped muffin and cookie pans to get different shaped crayons.  DON'T TRY TO MELT THEM IN A SHEET PAN AND CUT WITH COOKIE CUTTERS, IT DOES NOT WORK!Wilton® 6 Cavity Silicone Mold-TreeWilton® 24 Cavity Mini Silicone Pan-Tree

Wilton® 24 Cavity Silicone Mold-Gingerbread Boy

These are just a few examples...

Happy crafting ladies!

Replies

• madimoma
    November 6, 2008 at 8:39 PM

very cute

• LovemyQ
    by LovemyQ
    November 6, 2008 at 8:59 PM

I am soooo gonna do this!  Oh yeah, is your pan then reusable for food?

• funnymom32
    November 6, 2008 at 10:22 PM

I saw this the other day and I SO want to do it.  Somewhere in my house I have a box of random crayons.  When I find it I will do this project. 

• carrie_grace
    November 6, 2008 at 10:40 PM

unfortunately you probably won't want to bake in the silicone pans after this project...

Quoting LovemyQ:

I am soooo gonna do this!  Oh yeah, is your pan then reusable for food?

• mnwintercritter
    November 7, 2008 at 9:12 AM

Right now our dollar store has ice molds in both tree and santa shapes. I find a lot of ice and jello molds at thrift and dollar stores that are fun to use.

• RachGr
    by RachGr
    November 7, 2008 at 9:17 AM

wow, I want to try this!

• MamaTiffTiff
    November 7, 2008 at 2:28 PM

I love this idea. I so will be doing this!

• artC1s
    by artC1s
    November 7, 2008 at 2:33 PM

This is something I've been looking for, thanks for posting this!

• noworries99
    November 7, 2008 at 2:51 PM
    how cute!
  • krazykoolmommy
    November 7, 2008 at 4:19 PM

What a great idea!!  I know I have extra or broken crayons lying around.  I can't wait to try this!

Handmade Holidays...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN