Handmade Holidays...

mommybutterfly
valentines day "decor"
January 11, 2008 at 11:16 AM
ok..i want to decorate my house for valentines day but i dont want anything tacky or expensive. anyone have any ideas? i dont want to go overboard either...know what i mean.

Replies

• Lpurvis
    by Lpurvis
    January 11, 2008 at 12:12 PM
    i'd just go with pinks and reds in like flowers or table cloths. I don't go overboard with valentines, but I do get 'spring' colors out.
  • some-timers
    January 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM
    I've done this on my pic window a couple of times now (sorry, i don't have any pics of it)

Get a large piece of posterboard and cut out a BIG heart.  
    Get red tissue paper and cut it into big squares.
    Tape the tissue paper onto the window first.  Then tape the heart on top of the decorated window. 
    You can see the heart in the day time,. but when the lights are on at night, it looks even better! 

I won't be able to do this because my curtains are a dark orange.   When the living room lights are on, it makes the window glow red.   We've gotten a lot of slack from the neighbors (baw, chicki, baw, baw!)
  • ilovecoffee95
    January 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM
    I dont decorate for Valentines and I get my spring colors out at Easter Robin
  • some-timers
    January 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM
    I've also made "door streamers".   You need construction paper hearts of the same size (doubles), fishing line, glue, and tape. 

cut the fishing line to desired lengths.
    glue the hearts back to back over the fishing line at the desired intervals
    tape fishing line to the top of your doorway. 

Kids love going through this (and pulling it down!)
  • EclecticGypsy
    January 11, 2008 at 8:28 PM

Quoting some-timers:

I've done this on my pic window a couple of times now (sorry, i don't have any pics of it)

Tape the tissue paper onto the window first.  Then tape the heart on top of the decorated window. 
    You can see the heart in the day time,. but when the lights are on at night, it looks even better! 

I won't be able to do this because my curtains are a dark orange.   When the living room lights are on, it makes the window glow red.   We've gotten a lot of slack from the neighbors (baw, chicki, baw, baw!)
    If you go to the dollar tree it will cost about $2.00 maybe $3.00 if you need tape too.  I have bought colored tissue paper there as well as large poster board.
  • boncork
    by boncork
    January 12, 2008 at 1:29 PM
    If you do this can you post a picture. I do not get it. It sounds like fun and looks great, I am sure.
  • soxjulie
    January 12, 2008 at 1:35 PM
    A little construction paper, scissors & glue is what we use here.  Reds, pinks & purples for the colors.  We keep pastels around for Easter...pinks & purples & light greens after St. Patty's Day...
  • some-timers
    January 12, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Quoting EclecticGypsy:

Quoting some-timers:

If you go to the dollar tree it will cost about $2.00 maybe $3.00 if you need tape too.  I have bought colored tissue paper there as well as large poster board.
    YUP!  I don't know if every one has a Dollar Tree close by, so I didn't mention it.   (this is exactly where i got all of the supplies!)
  • some-timers
    January 12, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Quoting boncork:

If you do this can you post a picture. I do not get it. It sounds like fun and looks great, I am sure.

I'll have to look through my photos (not in order or on a disk).  
  • damestikgodess
    January 12, 2008 at 11:22 PM
    walmart has cheap and they are good but maybe i should redescribe them as inexpensive.... sain glass hangers fun with the kids and look great hanging in front of a window especially with the sun shinning through them
    also one year i bought a heart shaped cake or some kind of cooking utensil any way i made a heart shaped jello with fruit filled for my middle ones pre school class went over like a champ.....
    and for the romance with the hubby..... plan a special date after the monkeys are either watching a movie or with a baby sitter and plan a special dinner with rose petals everywhere and candles and make sure youre all done up the way he likes to see you.... ;  )~

Handmade Holidays...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts