Handmade Holidays...

mariposamom
Any Ideas of craft projects with pinecones?
November 28, 2007 at 1:44 PM
We have a lot of large pinecones around my house and was looking for ideas of projects to do with the kids and maybe a few for me.  I have looked on the internet and found a few cheesy ones but none that I really liked.  Any ideas?

Replies

• CwbysLdi
    October 31, 2010 at 8:11 PM

A few friends and I make gift baskets for about ten each special freinds of ours. One of the items we do make are fire starters, Here in Northern CA using wood heat is very popular. We take the pinecones, she sprays hers with cinnamon scent, however I usually about two weeks before we are going to do the craft, soak mine in cinnamon oil. I soak them usually for a day and then put them in  a cardboard box to wait! We take wick and wrap around the bottom 1/4 of the cone leaving enough to be able to light it. Parrafin wax is melted and the cones are dipped top first into the wax , then set upon parchment or wax paper, we do sprinkle glitter over them at this time. The wax is allowed to dry good. We then take a small paintbrush and brush the tips of the cones with white paint to resemble snow. Put these cones into baskets we've collected over the year and wrap in fancy cellophane. Put a ribbon around the top. These are awesome fire starters. I make alot of extra for our house. And when they are sitting there they make the house smell awesome too.

• AuntyL
    by AuntyL
    October 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM

I used to take all the short candles and melt them down in a pan dip pine cones in the wax, then roll them in sawdust. Handmade firestarters for the fireplace. My friend w/the fireplace said they worked great!

AuntyL

• zazz
    by zazz
    November 1, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Use them in wreaths.

• stampin_jenni
    November 1, 2010 at 9:20 AM

These are GREAT ideas, especially because my son just brought home a HUGE bag of pinecones from our last camping trip.  Does anyone know if I need to do anything to the pinecones to make sure there aren't any bugs in them before I turn them into an indoor craft?

TIA :D
    Jenni

• adar33
    by adar33
    November 9, 2010 at 10:17 AM

How about some pinecone Turkey's.  Here is a site that lists how to do a few different kinds.  They look like fun.  http://www.activities-for-toddlers.com/pineconeturkey.html

• RnFmom
    by RnFmom
    November 9, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Here's an idea from An Old Fashioned Country Christmas by Gooseberry Patch:

Soak pinecones in a solution of

1/2 lb. soda to 1/2 gallon of water or

1/2 lb. borax to 1/2 gallon of water or

1/2 lb. salt to 1/2 gallon of water

overnight, remove from solution and place in a mesh bag to dry throughly. When thrown in the fireplace they will burn different colors. It's been a long time since I did this and cannot remember the colors.

Jenny

Handmade Holidays...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts