Handmade Holidays...

Philly247
How much to charge for decorating a wedding reception
January 12, 2011 at 9:28 AM

Looks like I have a new calling, or so my relative-to-be thinks so. She would like me to make the decorations which also includes help with the invitations and decorating the reception room. This I know, will entail quite a bit of time and the wedding is about 3 months away.

The problem is, I'm not sure how much to charge. She wants to pay me, in fact, she told me she wants to. I feel funny about doing so since she will be my relative soon but it will take time away from my own arts/crafts business (and my kid).

I really can't charge how I operate my own business because it's just not the same and she's purchasing the supplies. I have gotten responses from other family members who have said about $15-$20/hr. Isn't that too much? The part I feel less guilty about charging is the part where I've gone and done research for her and am responsible for the set up at the reception.  Thoughts?

Replies

• elijahsmama09
    January 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    Yeah....with family it can get sticky. I do not think $10-15 an hour is too much, but be sure you are actually getting paid for everything you buy. You said you are a painter, are you going to be doing painting for them? What part of the decorations?
  • Philly247
    January 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Looks like I will be painting some on the invitations and the card box. I'm still in the dark about the rest...we still have to meet again to fine tune what is expected of me. Mostly the decorations are going to be tuling and ribbons around the already handmade grapevine wreaths and the paper flowers I will be making to go around the columns and a bouquet on the cake table. I will be using paper punches for the seating cards and table numbers of which my writing will also be on.

There's so much more responsibility because she would like me to oversee the decorating and making sure everything goes the way it should.   Until tomorrow...

• lukesmom06
    January 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I have worked in the florist industry for a while, the florist I worked for would charge $30 an hour to coordinate everything, then there would be an extra charge for setting up everything and that would depend on how much setting up there was but it was usually around $100  and then there would be another charge for taking everything down and that depended on if she needed help so that would be around $50, so yeah $15-$20 isn't that bad.  

• VTMommaX3
    January 21, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Hard to say without knowing complete details. I would probably do it at a discounted rate and have the discount be my wedding gift to the couple.  So maybe only $10-$12 a hour...

• hemimom03
    February 23, 2011 at 11:50 AM

The wedding is going to be here before you know it!! How are you doing and what plans have you figured out yet?

Handmade Holidays...