Handmade Holidays...

Sanara
wedding flower help?
by Sanara
September 26, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Ok we haven't set a date yet, but there is a reason lol! My hubby and I have been engaged for about 6 yrs now and we are finally going to start planning our wedding. So what we are doing is saving and buys something one by one, and everthing else we are going to save and buy when it get closer to the date that we set.

So my question is on flowers. How much did you all spend on your bridal bouguet, throw away bouguet, hubbys boutoniere, and flower girls pettles? And do any of you know any money saving ideas on this?

Thanks, Christine

Replies

• soccerjunki
    September 26, 2010 at 3:17 PM

umm I didn't use a great deal of flowers..

I made my own centerpieces for the reception out of some hydrangea in pretty jars..and my bouquet was fresh flowers..so was the boutonniere.. We didn't have flower girls either..

sorry not sure I helped much..LOL.I think you would be on the cheaper side to use what ever flowers are "in season" at the time of your wedding..

• Sanara
    by Sanara
    September 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM

thank you for your reply :)

Quoting soccerjunki:

umm I didn't use a great deal of flowers..

I made my own centerpieces for the reception out of some hydrangea in pretty jars..and my bouquet was fresh flowers..so was the boutonniere.. We didn't have flower girls either..

sorry not sure I helped much..LOL.I think you would be on the cheaper side to use what ever flowers are "in season" at the time of your wedding..

• Sanara
    by Sanara
    September 27, 2010 at 2:28 PM

bump

• nanbon44
    September 28, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I used to own a flower shop and bouquets can be quite expensive, it depends on the season and what flower are in season.  There are some ways you can cut cost, one is to make your own with real flowers, or make your arrangements with silks (some of these look so real)  Also if using silks it look for big sales on season flowers, in the fall buy you spring and summer flowers, craft store like Hobby Lobby have 50% off sales on their flowers a lot.

If you like I can send you some detail instructions on how to make your own arrangements, just send me a message with you email.  I have some pictures from some of the wedding or events I have done recently for friends.

• Artladydp
    September 28, 2010 at 9:42 AM

For my daughter's wedding, I made all the flower arrangements.  They were made using silk flowers.  It's easy to do these ahead of time.  You can catch the sales to get what you need.  For the centerpieces we used lavender colored Christmas balls with pearl strings.  We got them all at after Christmas sales dirt cheap.  You just have to be on the lookout for anything that's the right color to blend in with your color scheme.  Good luck.

Debby

• GRANDMALINDAS
    September 28, 2010 at 9:44 AM

the 1 st time i got married lol. i made my bridal bouquet,they have all you need it craft store and they were silk . don't to much money

the dh i married 6 yrs ago i bought a bridal bouquet, real flower at a flower store it was 175.00 all white roses

on the table my cousin put the small fish bowl vase they have them at michaels their is a little light batterie the ones with the candle top on . and there are ones that will go underwater. we put the shiny grass in and water and short flowers they look good and last a long time, hope this helps

• GRANDMALINDAS
    September 28, 2010 at 9:48 AM

also you can get all the info you need. on invitations and the web there are a got of free things check it out. 

• Alieda
    by Alieda
    September 28, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Did you have a friend who has a wonderful flower garden in the summer if your wedding is in the summer ask her for flower from her garden , she would be so proud.

• VTMommaX3
    September 29, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    I planted wild flowers and then used them to make my bouquet and decorate the cake. I spent $5 on seeds and another $15 on a few supplemental greens, etc
  • angelcorrine
    September 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM

We paid to have the bouquets and such for the ceremony, but then did the reception centerpieces ourselves.  We talked to the person in charge of floral at Sam's Club and, after telling them that this was for a wedding, she advised us to come in on the day that they get their floral shipment and even let us have first pick of the flowers before they were put out on the floor.  We did an assortment of roses and fall flowers.  The flowers from Sam's came in bouquets, but we broke those apart and built our own assortments in the arrangements.  It worked out really well for us because we picked up the flowers on a Thursday and made the arrangements that day.  The flowers were very tight (not in full bloom) so we let them sit out until the wedding on Saturday and they were perfect.

If you have a contact at a florist's shop you may be able to order things from them in bulk, but we ended up paying way less by going to Sam's.  We also saved money by only putting flowers on half the tables at the reception.  The other tables had fishbowl type vases filled with small green apples and clementines from the grocery store.  It worked with our fall wedding theme, and it was super cheap.  We gave the floral arrangements to the mothers and grandmothers (we both have divorced families so it worked out perfectly) and gave the fruit away to friends who came to our house that evening for an afterparty as our wedding was in the morning and our reception in the afternoon.

Handmade Holidays...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts