Handmade Holidays...

suroundedbyboys
Old-Fashioned Theme Party
April 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM

My son turned 5 last week, but we haven't had his party yet, due to various illnesses. for he and his brother, birthdays have become stressful as we end up with 3 parties, one with my family, one with the inlaws (b/c they wont attend with my family), and one with our friends who have kids. That means I make 3 cakes plus cupcakes for school and am down right exhausted. I was thinking of a theme, obviously my son want superhero's or trains or footballs, and I usually make elaborate cakes, with matching decor and favors, but here's my thought...

An Old Fashioned (or traditional party) before everything got so merchandised. I am going to make newspaper hats, homemade playdough for the party- and kids can take as favors, making a large bucket of bubbles. The kids can play in the backyard, possibly some organized games, then cake and I am thinking home made ice cream, or a sundae bar... Possibly hot dogs on the grill and chips and for favors, playdough and maybe let the kids plant a plant...

Anyone else have any simple party ideas???

Replies

• soccerjunki
    April 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM

if you are really wanting simple, then I wouldn't make the ice cream , I would just buy it ..LOL..

My kids have never had over the top b-day parties,I always make their cakes, and it is centered more around fun and family and friends. ( Oh and food too haha)

my step kids mother always tries to out do us with these huge silly parties, but now we have custody of 2 of the boys, and they talk about my simple cakes..and the tradition of Birthday pancakes that my family has that have gotten used to , it is those things they talk about,..not the parties they get from their mom.

I think Your idea of simplifying is wonderful! ALL kids love bubbles!!..I think for the favors..give them a little bottle of their own and some candy with the play dough..and you are good to go.

I am not sure how old your other kids are, but most kids LOVE Twister..pin the tail on the donkey, I--spy, musical chairs, dancing around a May -pole..there are many, but I am going blank....

Hope some of these help...

• KristinaO129
    April 27, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I also think your idea of simplifying is fabulous! I too (like many creative people) have too often tried to go all out, making everything match, going crazy with themes, to the point of exhaustion then I can't really enjoy myself at the party... I too have learned over time, simple is often better in many ways -- the kids aren't going to care much if the plates, decorations, & favors all mached, especially if mom was too frazzeled to have fun. They will however remember the memories of having a fun time with friends & family. For one of my son's favorite parties, I made plain cupcakes & put out several decorating supplies & the guests made "decorate-your-own-cupcake". I also asked the guests on the invitation to bring a plain T-shirt they could paint on (I made sure to have a few extras for those who forgot), & we had a shirt painting station where I had fabric paints, stencils & various supplies for them to paint their own shirts with. You can always put out the fixings for a make-your-own taco bar, sundae bar, or anything else that works for you & your child. I love the idea of the old-standby games... pin-the-tail, musical chairs, etc. -- even though some of these games may seem "old-fashioned" to us, they probably aren't for our kids. Most importantly, just enjoy the day!!!

party

Handmade Holidays...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts