Handmade Holidays...

NiekaC
Ideas for basket stuffers
by NiekaC
March 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Ive never made a basket I usually buy, but this year I want to make both my girls  nice baskets w/ more then just crappy toys & sugar. can you guys give me ideas? I have a 2 year old- i was thinking books, side walk chalk, bracelets & Im stuck there.

& for my 3 month old, Im totaly stuck, not sure what to get at all, maybe noisy stuff?

any suggestions would really help Oh what day is Easter this year?

Replies

• dvswyf
    by dvswyf
    March 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM

easter is on april 4 this year

think about what interests your child. You can base a basket on a theme, such as monkeys, or you can fill the basket with books, games, music and movies.Creative Trim can include a set of multicolored silk scarves for an older girl. For boys, consider wooden blocks as trim that can double as toys. Take a small wooden strawberry picking box, 4 different pastel colored ribbons, some pipecleaners (also called chenilles), and fake flowers if desired for trimming. Make sure each ribbon is long enough for weaving in and out.For younger children, we have used plastic pail and shovel sets, grocery carts, wagons.

IDEAS:

• flashlights
    • yo-yos
    • seed packets
    • McDonald's gift certificates
    • gel pens
    • construction paper
    • glitter
    • birdfeeder kits ($3 each at local farm supply store); I am including a bird sticker book to go with the birdfeeder kit.
    • thrift books - all kinds, from stickers/coloring books to children's literature, each only $1
    • dollar store beaded jewelry
    • nail polish
    • dollar store perfume
    • homemade trail mix
    • frisbees
    • peat pots with seeds
    • film
    • card decks
    • stickers (I've printed some from the internet)
    • mini photo albums
    • pocket calendars
    • change purse
    • fancy-edged scissors
    • sunglasses
    • book of magic tricks
    • plastic dinos
    • travel games

do include healthy snacks, like granola, nuts, sunflower seeds, etc.

• Kivara
    by Kivara
    March 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM

April 4th

DVD
    games or a video game (if you do these)
    chalk
    crayons
    coloring books
    new toothbrush
    special character cup or sippy cup
    snacks (mini packs of goldfish crackers, grahm crackers, etc)
    bouncy balls
    baby doll
    fuzzy slipper socks
    PJs
    small stuffed animal
    books
    rattle or rattle socks (baby)
    bubbles
    craft supplies
    plastic jewelry
    hair bands or pretty barrettes

That's all I can think of for now.
    ~Heather

• Mrs.Bolin
    March 7, 2010 at 8:37 PM

My daughter was 7mos old at this time last year. i put some gerber rice cereal and some gerber graduats  stuff along with a small stuffed lamb and a rattle tied to the side of the basket. She didn't really care about it that much.

• COTwinMom
    March 8, 2010 at 8:57 AM

You got a lot of good suggestions.  For your 3-month old, maybe stuff she'll be able to use in the near future, like a cute bathing suit for the summer, bath toys, those rubber blocks she could chew on for when she's teething, a filled snack pack--and then one of those spinning toys that also light up. My girls loved staring at those when they were younger.  For the 2-year old: puzzle, cute character T-shirt, lacing cards (helps with those fine motor skills!) and a ball (you can usually find a princess or hello kitty ball in the stores.)  Enjoy!

• soccerjunki
    March 8, 2010 at 9:50 AM

HONEY..remember..the noisy stuff is staying home with you!! LOL..I used to do this with my sisters kids..but alas..I had children too...and payback was awful....LOL..buy nice quite stuff..always nice quite stuff..except for CHEAP noisy things that might break quickly..LOL..

• MandyP27
    March 8, 2010 at 11:11 AM

I usually do a DVD, a book or two, a toy (my boys are way into action figures so they will get one or two of those), a nice summer outfit, sandals, a swim suit, a chocolate cross (or bunny) and a little candy. I try not to go all out on Easter baskets but it usually ends up that way!

• Alieda
    by Alieda
    March 8, 2010 at 12:40 PM

I love your ideas for the 3 years old basket. For the 3 month I would get a plastic picture book you can share it will her in a couple of month, a rattle,  a couple of bibs. a new bottle if she is bottle feed. +

• Sasha_Neon
    March 8, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I never thought about doing anything like that cause i had a boy.  we never really got into it because it was candy and i did not want to raise him with sugar in his diet. lol.. imagine how he felt when he had his first piece of choclate.. lol..lol.. funniest face i had ever seen... he had to be like 6 if that.

anyway....

if i had a girl, i would do "princess pamper me" baskets.  like things a pampered princess would like.  since u are considering keeping it healthy... i would put in there:

• some fun nail polish
    • some foam slippers like when u get your feet done
    • and an eye mask

i would also put in there:

• seeds, soil, small pots or a grown your own garden kit (size small) with flowers they can watch grow and take care of that are pretty
    • a jump rope
    • bead kits to make their own bracelets

and things they can craft.

check out http://www.orientaltradingcompany.com/ for some ideas and affordable kits and other stuff to put in baskets....

Sasha

• jjcaj
    by jjcaj
    March 9, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I always like to get new summer toys to put in there baskets.  Sandbox toys, balls jumpropes, chalk, bubbles, pool toys ect.  It seams to help with the winter blues,  being we still have 3 feet of snow and drifts 7 feet high and easter is comming up fast it is needed this year!

• MLM247
    by MLM247
    March 10, 2010 at 6:28 PM

I would not give anything with beads as they are a choking hazard for young children and babies. Save that for when the baby is older. There are some wonderful ideas here already though. What about some Beatrix Potter books? We dressed our baby daughter in a cute little bunny suit one year. This year I am making egg cosies in owl, bunny and cat designs and giving those to all the children in our extended family. Here people often eat soft boiled eggs for beakfast, especially around Easter. In general do not put more than five things in the basket. Young children have short attention spans and they will not even notice half the gifts if you give them too much. Also it sets you up for some future nightmares in the years to come.

Handmade Holidays...

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN