Handmade Holidays...

RoguesMommy
We made salt dough ornaments today :) *PICS added*
December 9, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Today my 3yo and I baked ornaments for the first time!

It made 46 of them!! We're going to paint them tomorrow, string them with thin green ribbon and give them out as gifts at Christmas to grandparents and godparents.

Just took 2 cups flour, 1 cup salt, 1 cup water- cut them out like you would cookies, use some food coloring if you want too.

Bake on 250 for about 2-2.5hrs or until dry and hard. Let cool over night and paint with acrylic paint- seal with an acrylic spray if you want them to last for YEARS!

They are super cute! We made stars, butterflies, santas, candy canes, horses and Christmas trees!

Its a great activity and a very nice cheap gift to pass out.

Replies

• Laura4807
    December 10, 2009 at 4:42 PM

now im super excited! i've been wanting to do something like this with my 2 1/2 year old.

• Medical_Mom
    December 11, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Thank you for all the information and sharing the recipe!  Now will have to get started on things so can get sent out in time.  I suppose that even if they are a little late they will love them anyway though. lol

Thanks again!

MM

• hippypeg
    December 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM

I made dough ornaments when my daughter was small.   They have survived many years and she is now 32.  I also make them from cinnamon and apple sauce.  Just mix cinnamon and applesauce together to make a dough, no recipe needed.  roll them out and cut with cutters.  Bake in a slow oven until they are hard.  Your house will smell wonderful for hours.  I store them in a tupperware container with my xmas ornaments and they last forever.

• hippypeg
    December 12, 2009 at 9:40 AM

I just found this link on another post for cinnamon ornaments.  I hope it is ok that I copied it for here.  I have made them and let them dry for days, but the weather has to be real dry for it to work.  Otherwise they get icky.  Good luck.

http://www.moms-kitchen.com/cinnamon_clay_ornaments.htm

• sherig47
    December 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM

They look  so good everyone will want to eat them. sounds like you had a great time making them too. 

• sherig47
    December 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I only made the salt dough one year they puffed for me too.  I make the cinnamon applesauce dough you can let them dry on thier own or you can put them in the 250 degree oven for a few hours. I  usually let mine dry on their own. you can paint them also but they are brown colored.

Handmade Holidays...