Handmade Holidays...

mamamiaohmy
Inexpensive gift for teachers (or anyone else)
November 13, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I came upon this idea when making a bigger version of it for our MOPS group.  I found metal roofing shingles (roofing section of Lowe's ) for 63 cents each.  They are 8 x 12 inches.  I used spray adhesive to adhere  cute paper on, and made holes for the hanger with my Cropadile punch/setter- but you could use a drill very easily.  I made magnets with the flat glass pebbles you can find in a floral section ( I got mine at the Dollar Store) and leftover paper from the board.  I used Aleene's Paper Glaze to glue the paper to the glass, but you could probably use Mod Podge  too.  I hot glued magnets to the glass pebbles, and there you have it.  You can decorate it as much as you want- I used a hot glue gun for ribbon too.  Instead of the glass pebbles, you could use cute buttons- there's so many fun buttons out there- cut the shanks off with wire cutters and hot glue magnets on.  The mini bulldog clips are also fun to hot glue a magnet to and work well with the board.

This is a basic version of it, you could decorate more than that certainly.

Here's pictures of the bigger one we made for our MOPS project in October ( I taped 2 metal sheets together and then glued foam core board on the back to stabilize it, and decorated similarly)  There are different options for the magnets:

Replies

• momsoccer
    November 14, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Thanks for sharing the idea its REALLY cute!!

• maryw24
    by maryw24
    November 18, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Very cute..thanks for sharing!! I might have to do this for my kitchen...and I have some scrabble tiles too!!

• Bizmom
    by Bizmom
    December 7, 2009 at 4:41 AM

These are neat and great for principles as well as teachers, we got together one year  and made a large one for the principle for her office, it was actually one of the ladies that helped chaperoned some of the field trips, her husband worked with sheet metal and had extra peices and she asked each of us to bring in something to add to this board she was giving to the principle, so we did, she covered hers with the shelf paper, very pretty patterned paper, we had all kinds of things from the scrabble peices to flat stones to poms poms. she loved it and still uses it to this day. we all wrote our names and date it was made her. since then there has been requests of making more. lol yours is very nice. love the paper you used. love the flat stones. we used the colored ones. these are great for gifts.

Bizmom

• tammystienda
    November 23, 2010 at 8:03 AM

This is sooo cool! I think I will do this with my son for his teacher. I think that this is something that she would really like!

• Delirium003
    November 23, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    Adorable!!
  • HisSweetheart07
    May 23, 2011 at 8:43 PM

So Cute!!! I'm def going to steal this idea!!!

• ohmichelle
    May 23, 2011 at 9:04 PM

this is totally cool and I can use it in my sewing room/office  :-)

• swdesigns
    May 24, 2011 at 7:33 AM

What a great idea!   I'd love to make one for my craft area!

• Samnbellsmom
    May 31, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Awesome Idea!!!! I'm going to use it to make Chore charts for my kids. I have a feeling I will enjoy them more than they will......

Handmade Holidays...