Biracial Children

dynamite.mom
Anyone have kids with completely different hair textures & needs? Advice???
April 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I'm posting this in several different groups, so sorry if you get stuck reading it more than once. I'm at my wits end with my kids' hair!! I am white, husband is black. We have 3 amazing children and a 4th debuting in June. We keep them clean and well groomed as much as is possible with little ones, but their hair is totally confusing to both of us. Are there any really good products out there for mixed kids?? I've tried so many different things and what's marketed toward just "kids" (read "white kids") does keep their hair clean and shiny, but doesn't seem to condition enough. And the products marketed toward black people seem to be too strong or oily at times.

I found a website called "Blended Beauty" that was actually helpful in classifying our curls because of course all three have totally different curls shapes & textures. Based on the descriptions I saw there, I was able to gain some understanding of my younger two, but the products are a bit pricey so I don't want to just jump in with both feet and have yet again wasted money for no results. Has anyone ever used Blended Beauty products??

Here's the link to the page I'm looking at with their categories of curls:

http://www.blendedbeauty.com/Mixed-Kids-Curly-Hair-Products.html

I've decided that my 1 year old son has "cupid curls" that I suspect will work their way into "spiral curls" as he gets older and loses the baby fine hair... My issues with Kendrick's hair is that it's super dry but gets weighed down easily. He has insanely curly hair, but it tends to frizz and get matted up easily. I know it's probably impossible to keep curly hair from tangling, especially on a toddler who rubs his head on everything he gets close to, but there's a difference between tangles and totally matted hair...I don't want my baby looking like he isn't taken care of, but I can't seem to find a product that will keep his hair from getting dry and frizzy without making it look greasy and dirty. Any suggestions?????

My 3 year old daughter has "big curls and waves" that are beginning to go more into "cupid curls" now as her hair has become much less baby fine as she nears her 4th birthday but I think she's still going to have pretty thin/fine hair... As Naomi's hair becomes less like baby hair, it's tangling sooooo much more. Her hair is really long, she hates having it combed, and EVERYTHING we've tried weighs it down. I know it would be easier to manage if it was shorter but I refuse to cut it unless SHE wants it cut, which sometimes she talks about because it wouldn't take as long to wash, comb, braid, etc. Is there a product on the market that will be gentle enough for her thin & fine hair while actually keeping her curls under control? Anyone have any home remedies? Or any suggestions, really?????

And lastly, my 5 year old son has the thickest & most course hair of the bunch but it's  not as curly as the younger two and still nothing like the hair that all of our friends with mixed kids have. He has tight curls around his hair line... probably like the "spiral curls" and then the rest of it is much bigger curls that tend to straighten out. When his hair is a little longer it will all curl up nicely, but we still have the same issues of it either being too dry or too oily. Right now the best solution I've come up with is keeping his hair shorter in the front because his tighter curls spike up really cute and easily and then letting the rest of it be just a little bit longer so it will lay smoothly...he likes this style or letting his hair be longer and "crazy" but I'd really like to find the right products for all of them so that their hair is not just being styled in a way that will do but is actually getting the care it needs to remain healthy and beautiful.

I'm sure I'll probably end up using different products on all of them since I already do...we literally have found no products that work fine on all 3 of them, but I'm not sure what else to try.

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and give me some advice!

Replies

• honeyb690
    April 9, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    post some pictures of their hair my daughter hair fell like mine when I put get to put stuff in it but if she wont let me then it's a dry curly mess I don't have alot to spend on hair stuff so I having been mixing things. like we bought stuff to help with the tangling but we had to use al most the whole bottle so I started mixing hair oil, conditiner and water. and it make her hair pretty almost all day unless she starts rolling around lol
  • Westbromwich
    April 26, 2012 at 10:44 AM

www.mixedchicks.net.  This website caters to people who are interracial, and I see that they have a children's line also.  A bit pricey sorry, but I have heard good things about their line.  Also there is a line called Kinky Curly Knot Today also a bit pricey.  I have used them because I wear my hair natural, and I find that their products bring out the natural curl pattern as well as moisturizes the hair. 

• tytaymama
    July 2, 2012 at 4:03 AM
    Try Biolage
    Daily Leave In Tonic. It's a super moisturizing lightweight spray that works for all of us (Black, White and biracial).
  • stephie06
    July 12, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    My daughter is two and she has Spiral curls and her hair is super fine and super fizzy. Ive been using olive oil leave in conditioner and it seems to be doing the trick but not for long periods of time. I also can not use to much or it makes her hair look really oily. Ive heard a lot of good things about mixed chicks but it is a little pricey.
  • SoInLoveYS
    July 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    Mizani and mixed chicks products are goooood
  • alicechavez13
    August 27, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Hello , I know exactly what you mean, i recently bought this product called Fantasia IQ moisturizer and it wrks wounder on dry or wet hair. The women at the beauty store instructed me to put it on my kids hair morning and at night , reapply if needed, its not greasy and it brings out beautiful curls and there hair looks very moisturized. She also said to keep my daughters hair braided cause it is very long and thin so it gets matted very easily , i hope it thickens up with time as she is only 21 mnth  almost 22, my other baby is only 11 mnths and he only has hair on the top of his head lol.Hope this helps.

• JakesMommy527
    September 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Mixed chicks hair products are great to help define curls. I get my son's hair soaking wet then apply the leave-in conditioner (a lot of it) and blow-dry a little bit and let it air dry until completely dry. Love it bc it's not greasy at all

Biracial Children